The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone got any thoughts on why Trump and Navarro are so busy hyping the restorative qualities of hydroxychloroquine when their combined pharma / medical expertise amounts to Navarro having a PhD... in economics? Ignore the fact that Trump already bought 27 millions additional doses though, because that clearly would not colour any advice given.

Also, anyone else find it weird that they roll out Dr Anthony Fauci for these briefings, a guy who happens to be the leading infectious diseases expert in the US and has been the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases since 1984, then muzzle him tighter than a fox in a hen house? 

7 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

@RamNut won't like it. It's clearly an attempt to get inside our heads and control our minds. ?

True.

But I think you’ve got me confused with David Icke.

9 hours ago, ramesses said:

Oh dear, does no one care? Is no one that bothered?

You might enjoy playing the victim - but I think you’ve laid it on a bit too thick there.

As you know, the ‘poster/mods’ are free to post, reply, like, and laugh at whatever they want as long as they abide by forum rules - same as all other posters. If they break the rules then you can report them.

You claimed you were ‘singled out’ for ‘personal attack’ by one of the poster/mods and that another poster/mod supported him.

Did you report this in line with forum rules?  Of course you didn’t…

Instead you turned your very tenuous ‘claim’ of being personally attacked into a ‘fact’ and then used that in a series of posts as an opportunity to present yourself as strong (‘it’s water off a ducks back’; ‘I’m thick skinned’), as a poor victim of the abuse of poster/mod power (‘I’m used to it’) and to signal some supposed moral superiority over the two poster/mods (as ‘a keen highlighter of double standards and hypocrisy’).

There’s little about this self-promotion and claims of being a victim that sound even vaguely genuine.  Sounds more like an exercise in puffing yourself up while trying to undermine two poster/mods who you’ve always managed to disagree with very robustly in the past.

What on earth are you rambling on about sweetheart?

Wasnt even me who raised the issue, it was another poster. So how exactly that makes me playing the victim I'm not sure.

Took no offence to the original post, I dont care if someone who knows nothing about me slates me on an internet forum.

Took no offence to the moderator applauding the post, even knowing that I have received a warning, from said moderator, for much less in the past.

I only commented when I saw the feeble attempt to justify the applauding. I'd actually prefer the mod just to say "I applauded because I think G Star is a knob".

But anyway, if you think it was a stance of 'moral superiority' that's fine too, I wont be crying myself to sleep. 

Have a lovely day ?

5 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Whole modding argument is a bit tedious really. This isn't a parliamentary debate or a televised panel show, it's a bunch of us taking the piss out of people with differing views with an occasional sensible post from either side of the chasm.

For the record, my list of warnings and holidays nearly fills a screen yet some folk on here seem to think only Tories get censured. I just take my beats and move on. Not sure why others find that so hard, or why it even matters. It's not life and death chaps, it's a fookin footy forum. 

200px-Billshankly1.jpg

"Some people think DCFCFans.uk is a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that."

5 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Anyone got any thoughts on why Trump and Navarro are so busy hyping the restorative qualities of hydroxychloroquine when their combined pharma / medical expertise amounts to Navarro having a PhD... in economics? Ignore the fact that Trump already bought 27 millions additional doses though, because that clearly would not colour any advice given.

Also, anyone else find it weird that they roll out Dr Anthony Fauci for these briefings, a guy who happens to be the leading infectious diseases expert in the US and has been the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases since 1984, then muzzle him tighter than a fox in a hen house? 

I have watched the USA Briefings over the last week, and been amused, bemused, and horrified in equal measure by Trump’s performance at the podium.

He is clearly pushing hydroxychloroquine and thought it was either because he might have shares in the biggest producer, or it was because he had learnt to say the word so well that he just wanted to keep using it. Neither Fauci or Birx has supported him regarding the benefits of the drug.  

l started watching initially to compare and contrast against the UK’s response, but have continued watching because it is like watching a comedy satire.  The USA really don’t have a consistent policy, because the clown keeps flip flopping on key matters (or just bluffing his way through it).  9 states haven’t yet gone in to lockdown because ‘the Governors of those states are doing a good job, and there are no issues’ is then followed by his comments on another state ‘who are performing badly because they didn’t see the problem coming, and there has been a sudden but predictable spike’.

His battles with the media are also there for all to see.  He makes sure the viewers know who the ‘bad boys’ are when they dare to ask the challenging questions.

Really not sure what is going on in New York either. Cuomi saying he needs 40,000 ventilators (but the UK are saying 18000 is likely to be our peak need).

I will probably have another hour fix tonight to find out what proposals he has in mind so that the Yanks can get out at Easter to enjoy family, and start firing their guns again.

15 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Trump gets more bizarre by the day. If this crisis wasn't so serious with thousands of Americans dying, I'd find his handling of the situation laughable.

Bizarre is being kind, He could have played a good part in "one flew over the cuckoos nest" I watched a programme last week about Obama and Trump, Obamas inauguration and Trumps inaugeration, Obamas had more people there, Trump poo pooed it saying he had more.

Picture shows our Donald is a sandwhich short of a picnic, Obamas is on the left.

GTY-RT-obama-trump-inauguration-jef-1701

5 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Honestly not sure but I have an Italian Doctor friend who has been posting about it. He’s on the front line in Milan but I’ll need to translate / message him .. I think it may be something basic about fever reduction rather than  a cure all .. and he might be saying it’s snake oil .. I’ll post some more tomorrow 

6 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I'm a bit confused why this drug would help in a critical Covid -19 situation as it exacerbates Diabetes and heart irregularity, it's also an anti-inflammatory which I understood made the condition worse -unless that guidance has changed. Suppose it will come out in the wash.

Always amazed they use Quinine a derivative of this drug in so many drinks, with the horrible side effects it can cause- Gin and Tonic anyone.

Sith Happens
6 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I'm a bit confused why this drug would help in a critical Covid -19 situation as it exacerbates Diabetes and heart irregularity, it's also an anti-inflammatory which I understood made the condition worse -unless that guidance has changed. Suppose it will come out in the wash.

Always amazed they use Quinine a derivative of this drug in so many drinks, with the horrible side effects it can cause- Gin and Tonic anyone.

Perhaps one for the Coronavirus thread but one of the main issues with this is when it leads to Pneumonia which is caused by inflammation in the lungs. I am on a drug called Ruxoltinib which while puts me at high risk due to it being an immunosuppressant it is also a very powerful anti-inflammatory drug and is being investigated for its potential to treat patients with Covid-19.

I believe there was some rumours about ibuprofen making it worse in the early stages of the pandemic although these have been discounted.

14 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Trump is clearly pushing hydroxychloroquine and I thought it was either because he might have shares in the biggest producer, or it was because he had learnt to say the word so well that he just wanted to keep using it. Neither Fauci or Birx has supported him regarding the benefits of the drug.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/06/us/politics/coronavirus-trump-malaria-drug.html

16 hours ago, i-Ram said:

He is clearly pushing hydroxychloroquine and thought it was either because he might have shares in the biggest producer, or it was because he had learnt to say the word so well that he just wanted to keep using it. Neither Fauci or Birx has supported him regarding the benefits of the drug.  

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/491358-cuomo-use-of-antimalarial-drug-in-new-york-hospitals-anecdotally

When Orange Man Bad does its, its bad.  When someone else does it. meh, not so much.

To be fair, it does say results are mixed at best but as Trump says what do you have to lose?  The drug itself isn't going to kill you and it 'might' just save you.  

Personally I don't care about the politics, if I'm at deaths door and there is a chance it might save me, I wouldn't think twice about taking it. 

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, Archied said:

How do people with such lack of a brain cell get into the kind of public positions they do? Totaly beats me

no idea. she should resign really. the labour party have booted her into touch which is good on them.

even if you think it though don't make it public, brainless and a disgusting human being 

19 hours ago, jono said:

Honestly not sure but I have an Italian Doctor friend who has been posting about it. He’s on the front line in Milan but I’ll need to translate / message him .. I think it may be something basic about fever reduction rather than  a cure all .. and he might be saying it’s snake oil .. I’ll post some more tomorrow 

From what I gather, there are some in the Italian medical fraternity that were curious about the possible benefits of hydro what not - the quinine derived medicine might provide in Covid19 cases.. there are side effects and risks but it may have had some benefits for some patients depending on overall health and a raft of other factors. ( note .. some benefit for some ) .. The thing my Doctor friend and some pharmacy contacts were up in arms about was that it had disappeared from the shelves .. something that is a standard possible malaria treatment just wasn’t available. Drug suppliers had been saying we are out of stock, or we are not supplying individual pharmacies but feeding our production to wholesalers .. or simply .. we just sold out. Some practitioners thought it smelt of conspiracy to flog more expensive stuff. The big thing going for it is that it is generic and cheap but no one is convinced that it is a universal fix it whatsoever, in fact for some patients it might even be dangerous if used without considerable thought. Never the less it might be something useful for the armoury 

3 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

no idea. she should resign really. the labour party have booted her into touch which is good on them.

even if you think it though don't make it public, brainless and a disgusting human being 

Not picking a fight but people who have lost folk and are angry might conceivably think this and the thought alone wouldn't justify the label of "disgusting".

Brainless certainly,  for any person representing others.

Archived