Jump to content
G STAR RAM

The Politics Thread 2020

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I'm not sure if anyone has been offended by the emoji, its more to do with the moderator of a political forum having a clear bias.  This thread can get pretty heated at times and it sometimes feels as though it needs an impartial arbitrator.

We are all going to have our biases, that's human nature.  Posting point of view and reacting to other points of view something all us members of the forum do, moderators included.  And that's how it should be surely. Unless you want moderators to be excluded from discussions entirely then I don't see what you are actually asking for. 

If you think the moderators are performing those duties that the rest of us do not have (like removing posts for example) with bias then complain about that by all means.  But complaining amount them sharing their views on a subject/post, like all the rest of us do, is entirely unfair and unreasonable in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post

Just to be clear, I have no problem whatsoever with the moderator liking a personal attack on me. I'm think skinned.

I only commented on the BS he used to try and justify doing it!

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Because you don't agree with the standard of moderation. 

But I also dont care about the standard of moderation.

I'm a 40 year old man posting on an internet forum. 

You, or others, can literally post or respond to posts about me however you want, I wont be losing any sleep.

As I've said before though, I'm always keen to highlight double standards and hypocrisy.

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

As I've said before though, I'm always keen to highlight double standards and hypocrisy.

We swoon at your bravery oh great one.

Pretty dull to come on here and read 2 pages of the usual suspects moaning at @GboroRam, even though they don't even care.

This debate started with a ridiculous post smearing Keir Starmer (who they seem to be glad to have as an opposition) and descended into moaning about forum moderators, a pretty thankless task at the best of times on this thread.

Last 2 pages would be better removed, but then they would start crying about freedom of speech again.

But we all know true freedom of speech is the freedom to smear politicians from stuff you copied off facebook.

 

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

We swoon at your bravery oh great one.

Pretty dull to come on here and read 2 pages of the usual suspects moaning at @GboroRam, even though they don't even care.

This debate started with a ridiculous post smearing Keir Starmer (who they seem to be glad to have as an opposition) and descended into moaning about forum moderators, a pretty thankless task at the best of times on this thread.

Last 2 pages would be better removed, but then they would start crying about freedom of speech again.

But we all know true freedom of speech is the freedom to smear politicians from stuff you copied off facebook.

We could just remove everything you dont like and have a thread just abusing Conservatives and Leavers?

All with fully researched smears of course!

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

boris has been admitted to hospital,  hopefully just precautionary. 

Hopefully, as Momentum and all the Bolsheviks on Twitter are probably already plotting what will be next weeks no.1 in the Pop Charts.

Edited by i-Ram
Use of the word probably for balance.

Share this post


Link to post

I think GboroRam does a pretty good job moderating this thread for the most part. It's certainly not a task I'd want. The only problem I have is when swathes of posts get deleted. It baffles me that certain people who contribute regularly in this thread hint or outright ask for things to be removed. If you truly believe your opponent is making a tit of themselves then surely you'd want it out on display.

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Anon said:

I think GboroRam does a pretty good job moderating this thread for the most part. It's certainly not a task I'd want. The only problem I have is when swathes of posts get deleted. It baffles me that certain people who contribute regularly in this thread hint or outright ask for things to be removed. If you truly believe your opponent is making a tit of themselves then surely you'd want it out on display.

Thanks for the words of support. Most deletions are from a reported post. I remove the follow up comments and the rest of the conversation, as it will probably get brought up again. At least in the politics thread, we all seem to quickly get bored and rotate to another topic we've talked to death before. 

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, Anon said:

I think GboroRam does a pretty good job moderating this thread for the most part. It's certainly not a task I'd want. The only problem I have is when swathes of posts get deleted. It baffles me that certain people who contribute regularly in this thread hint or outright ask for things to be removed. If you truly believe your opponent is making a tit of themselves then surely you'd want it out on display.

I agree. 

I suspect this thread wouldn't even exist without @GboroRam moderating it, and we should lay off the commie bar steward for now.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Highgate said:

We are all going to have our biases, that's human nature.  Posting point of view and reacting to other points of view something all us members of the forum do, moderators included.  And that's how it should be surely. Unless you want moderators to be excluded from discussions entirely then I don't see what you are actually asking for. 

I don't think for one minute that anyone gets upset by any comments or emoji's posted here, they wouldn't last 5 minutes if they did!  

There have been times however imo that some conversations have been allowed to persist whilst others have been cut short.  Seeing as we're on a football forum, a good football referee should remain neutral at all times and no matter what the field it just seems a bit off to have someone supporting one of the teams holding the whistle and cards.

I should also add that by and large I don't have an issue with the moderating on this forum, in an ideal world however the moderator would be neutral.

Share this post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Hopefully, as Momentum and all the Bolsheviks on Twitter are probably already plotting what will be next weeks no.1 in the Pop Charts.

Don't worry - the New New Labour 'Special Action Task Groups' (translate that into German) are as I type bursting into smelly bedrooms adorned with Billy Bragg posters and shooting them as they cower beneath their CND duvet covers.

 

Seriously though, from what I can gather from Titter they are weirdly pretending Starmer was their idea .....🤨

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Anon said:

 making a tit of ourselves 

If the-politics-thread was a football club/team, that would be the motto on our badge. 

@GboroRam has the patience of a saint - as someone said, I suspect he is the only Mod who can be bothered to read the stuff here.

Edited by WhiteHorseRam
typo tit

Share this post


Link to post

Well I reckon @GboroRam does a pretty good job. Yeah his colours are nailed to the mast -  he can laugh at my posts all day long.  We all have an opinion so why can’t a mod. I don’t see a conflict of interest if the person is fair minded which Gboro is (despite his misguided politics 😝
 

And if you like debate and argument then why not. From a personal point of view unless someone blatantly lies or attacks someone’s personal integrity then this is a discussion forum and anything* goes....... *Despite our differences I am sure we will see off any bigots and wierdoes as one. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

But I also dont care about the standard of moderation.

I'm a 40 year old man posting on an internet forum. 

You, or others, can literally post or respond to posts about me however you want, I wont be losing any sleep.

As I've said before though, I'm always keen to highlight double standards and hypocrisy.

But I also dont care about the standard of moderation.  --> I think posters should care, and as a whole the forum  is from what i can tell very well run and moderated. @GboroRam has got a tough one doing the politics one which could quickly descend into chaos but seems to keep it in check.

I'm a 40 year old man posting on an internet forum.  --> As one of the main contributors to the politics thread, you keep this very much alive and whether people agree or not your opinion counts, same as the rest.

You, or others, can literally post or respond to posts about me however you want, I wont be losing any sleep. --> It's politics, people will disagree, strongly at times, but it should never get personal, simple as that.

As I've said before though, I'm always keen to highlight double standards and hypocrisy.  --> Your view. Remember komrade, only communism would guarantee equality for all of us! 😂

Share this post


Link to post

I'll apologise to Gboro for taking flak for me making a comment about one of Gstars comments.

I post as a member not as a mod so if anyone has a problem please feel free to address it to me personally or report it to David if it upsets you that much and you feel its broken the forum rules.

We'll never agree on here, we all have our own views on politics and its impossible to discuss it politely unless your face to face over a pint, so the best we can hope for is following the forum rules of no personal abuse. If any of you think my comment was personal abuse then report it or let me know by PM and I will respond to you.

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

I'll apologise to Gboro for taking flak for me making a comment about one of Gstars comments.

I post as a member not as a mod so if anyone has a problem please feel free to address it to me personally or report it to David if it upsets you that much and you feel its broken the forum rules.

We'll never agree on here, we all have our own views on politics and its impossible to discuss it politely unless your face to face over a pint, so the best we can hope for is following the forum rules of no personal abuse. If any of you think my comment was personal abuse then report it or let me know by PM and I will respond to you.

#prayforboris

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.