The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Was part of Cameron's resignation honours list. Corbyn presumably nominated her. But she apparently only joined the labour party in 2016.

Her rise was due to her lobbying for some civil liberties group. Something like amnesty (but not that).

Liberty, the human rights group. 

USA going full wild west in acquiring face masks.

"A delivery of 200,000 masks left a 3M factory in China this week and arrived in Bangkok, Thailand, from where they were supposed to be sent to the German capital. The masks never got to Berlin, and police in the city told Der Tagesspiegel that the shipment was instead bound for the US. Berlin's Senator for the Interior Andreas Geisel confirmed on Friday that the masks had been “confiscated.”

“We consider this an act of modern piracy. This is not how you deal with transatlantic partners,” Geisel said. "

https://www.rt.com/news/484935-us-takes-masks-germany/

8 minutes ago, ramit said:

USA going full wild west in acquiring face masks.

"A delivery of 200,000 masks left a 3M factory in China this week and arrived in Bangkok, Thailand, from where they were supposed to be sent to the German capital. The masks never got to Berlin, and police in the city told Der Tagesspiegel that the shipment was instead bound for the US. Berlin's Senator for the Interior Andreas Geisel confirmed on Friday that the masks had been “confiscated.”

“We consider this an act of modern piracy. This is not how you deal with transatlantic partners,” Geisel said. "

https://www.rt.com/news/484935-us-takes-masks-germany/

3M = Minesota Mining and Manufacturing. Kind of upper mid west rather than strictly wild, but there you go. 

In what might be a brief respite from coronavirus chat, according to The Guardian Sir Keir Starmer is set to be announced the new Labour Leader.  A lot of twitter is okay with that but there is a sizeable pro-Corbyn far left lot that already can't stand him. 

Personally, I think its a good move.  The loony left have been running to show for far to long, championing fringe ideologies, excluding moderates and shutting down free speech to the point of silencing and shaming regular people that dare to think differently.  When during the run up to the election, you see normally intelligent people squirming, unable to define the word 'woman' you know the lunatics have taken over the assylum.

He may not be as radical as Corbyn, but imo he has the potential to make Labour electable again - or at least provide a more credible opposition, which has surely got to be a benefit to us all.

When will the radical left realise what they have become and how despised they are by the majority.. The normal left need a home and have not had one for sometime now.. Time for them to take back the party and kick the loonies who have leached onto it, out.

I actually like Nandy, she won’t win and Starmer will not unite the party. Maybe in Westminster but not in the regions.

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, maxjam said:

In what might be a brief respite from coronavirus chat, according to The Guardian Sir Keir Starmer is set to be announced the new Labour Leader.  A lot of twitter is okay with that but there is a sizeable pro-Corbyn far left lot that already can't stand him. 

Personally, I think its a good move.  The loony left have been running to show for far to long, championing fringe ideologies, excluding moderates and shutting down free speech to the point of silencing and shaming regular people that dare to think differently.  When during the run up to the election, you see normally intelligent people squirming, unable to define the word 'woman' you know the lunatics have taken over the assylum.

He may not be as radical as Corbyn, but imo he has the potential to make Labour electable again - or at least provide a more credible opposition, which has surely got to be a benefit to us all.

I agree. I wonder what Labour will be called now New New Labour?, New Old Labour?, New Labour Part Deux? The Labour Party Strikes Back? The Wrath of Labour? Keir Starmer and the Temple of Boom?

40 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

When will the radical left realise what they have become and how despised they are by the majority.. The normal left need a home and have not had one for sometime now.. Time for them to take back the party and kick the loonies who have leached onto it, out.

I actually like Nandy, she won’t win and Starmer will not unite the party. Maybe in Westminster but not in the regions.

TBH I've not been following the leadership race other than headlines.  He seems the least radical of the candidates and will hopefully drag the party back to the center.  Whether others think thats a right move or not it will (imo) at least win them more seats at a future election allowing them to put more pressure on the Tories.  Corbyn just handed the Tories the opportunity to do whatever they want. 

56 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

What you call the normal left already have a home. It's the Liberal Democrats. 

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

According to wiki, Dad was a toolmaker and his Mom was a nurse. Passed exams to get into a free Grammar school, went to Leeds uni and went in to become a top lawyer.

Anyone who suggests he is not 'working class' enough is clearly wrong. He has excellent credentials in my eyes...came from a modest background, worked hard and did well for himself. I would assume he will be interested in promoting social mobility whilst also been sympathetic to working people.

Much preferable credentials than Dad was rich, went to Eton and Oxbridge, got job as journalist due to connections, got sacked for lying etc etc.

I think you need some experience of real life in order to lead properly. Having everything given to you on a plate doesn't seem like the best preparation to lead the country. 

There were some lightweight candidates in the leadership, and a few gobby candidates who over-rated their abilities.

Starmer was at least true to his Remain principles which was good, but it made him a strange choice as Brexit minister.

Unfortunately there aren’t too many impressive front benchers. Time to bin Diane Abbott.

32 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I agree. I wonder what Labour will be called now New New Labour?, New Old Labour?, New Labour Part Deux? The Labour Party Strikes Back? The Wrath of Labour? Keir Starmer and the Temple of Boom?

We can all play this game...

I wonder what the Conservatives should now be called. The New Nasty Party?, The Nastier Nasty Party?. The ERG Party?, The English National Party?, The Party Frit Of The UKIP Party?, Boris Johnson and the Masters of Waffle?

16 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

What you call the normal left already have a home. It's the Liberal Democrats. 

What you call the radical left already has a home. It's Big Bozza Johnson's Infinite Money Tree Party, which is just a right wing tabloid myth in normal times, but magically becomes real in a crisis.

Seems every country now has a money tree now. I want to know who owns all the money trees and who will all the fruit be owed too?

8 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

What you call the radical left already has a home. It's Big Bozza Johnson's Infinite Money Tree Party, which is just a right wing tabloid myth in normal times, but magically becomes real in a crisis.

Seems every country now has a money tree now. I want to know who owns all the money trees and who will all the fruit be owed too?

Wish we'd found it in time to fund the NHS before a medical crisis, not in the middle of one. 

14 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I have my theory on this .. I am sure a real theoretical economist will debunk it but here we go.

if you pluck the fruit from your money tree and no one else does then you have a problem because suddenly theirs look nicer against the garden wall. If on the other hand we all pick the fruit at the same time there won’t be quite the same loss of appeal.

money is about relative value ... if we did it alone then you could see a weak pound relative to the euro or the dollar thus making our balance of trade worse than it is already, But if every currency “owner” has effectively printed more then their relative positions remain the same then all will be well. ? 

Good news that Johnson is bringing together people from the different parties, to listen to them and all work together.

Although, perhaps he looked at the glazed expressions of the likes of Rabb and Patel and thought he really needs some normal people about. And having to Zoom Gove everyday would do anyones head in. You know Gove is the ones forwarding all the unfunny jokes on the cabinet whatsapp group. Rabb does the conspiracy theory ones.

47 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Isn't the market supposed to have the answers to every question?  Where are those market criers now?  Oh, receiving hand outs from government, that's right, but fear not, they will be back chanting their mantra soon enough.

Archived