The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

As for the talk of sanctions and economic payback, holding the Chinese responsible for the costs, that's just laughable. 

You are clearly not paying attention to the politicians then.

The US have and EU have had sanctions imposed on China before. It's not new territory.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 1of4 said:

Nothing wrong with a country or an organisation being scrutinised on how they are performing. As for China and the WHO, yes questions need to be asked of them. But the finger of blame is already being pointed at them, this is being done without any real evidence of any fault committed by them.  So yes China and the WHO are being lined up as possible scapegoats for other countries to hide behind when this crisis is over.

So just to be clear here...you are critical of the British Government handling of this (as I have been) but think China and WHO are completely blameless? WOW!

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

So just to be clear here...you are critical of the British Government handling of this (as I have been) but think China and WHO are completely blameless? WOW!

Where have I said China and the WHO are blameless. Just asking the reason why people are trying to apportion all the blame on to them.

1 minute ago, 1of4 said:

Where have I said China and the WHO are blameless. Just asking the reason why people are trying to apportion all the blame on to them.

You've said there is no evidence of them being at fault.

So did China report this problem as soon as it became apparent?

On 30/03/2020 at 08:56, ariotofmyown said:

Very weird comment. Don't think anyone has criticised British manufacturing or said anything derogatory about our nation.

People have been asking questions about failures in government planning and strategy. So has the Daily Telegraph who is usually Johnson's mouthpiece. Perhaps it's a coordinated effort to pass the blame onto previous regimes.

I think it is more a co ordinated effort as an opposition .. to oppose. It’s what oppositions do. Some of it is good because it makes those in charge accountable, some of it is worthless point scoring.

No matter who was in charge there would have been difficulties and failings along with successes. 

the thing I dislike is headlines like “chaos” or the suggestion that any particular thing has been some sort of gross dereliction of duty or ethics. All this over stating and hype depending on who’s team your on. 

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

You've said there is no evidence of them being at fault.

So did China report this problem as soon as it became apparent?

Yes China made mistakes in how it originally viewed the severity of the virus. But China like every other country altered how it dealt with the coronavirus the more it learnt about the virus' properties and the dangers it posed.

Still waiting for someone to explain why people are trying to put all of the blame onto China. While not admitting to the shortcomings in how their own country have handled this crisis.

3 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Yes China made mistakes in how it originally viewed the severity of the virus. But China like every other country altered how it dealt with the coronavirus the more it learnt about the virus' properties and the dangers it posed.

Still waiting for someone to explain why people are trying to put all of the blame onto China. While not admitting to the shortcomings in how their own country have handled this crisis.

Pretty sure we are admitting our own shortcomings in our response.

Not seen anyone at all putting all of the blame on China.

Becoming very confused by the BBC reporting of death figures.

1 day it is 'x amount of people have died FROM coronavirus', next day it is 'x amount have died WITH coronavirus', next day 'x amount have died after being diagnosed with coronavirus'.

Make your mind up, stick to it and be sure of what you are telling people.

FWIW the statistics that they are reporting on just say 'x amount of people have died AFTER TESTING POSITIVE for coronavirus.

Theres a huge difference and I'm still yet to see them reporting on any prior year comparatives to give us some sort of idea of what sort of effect this virus is actually having.

This is, if nothing else, new. Unique in living memory, and in relation to the world we now live in, simply unique.

Anyone expecting that there would not be shortfalls, mistakes, missed opportunities and general and specific failings is asking more of others than they could possibly deliver.

When all this is over, and the inevitable wheelbarrow loads of reports are written, lessons can be learned. For now though, in the thick of the pandemic, I think we should all grit our teeth and get on with not leaving political preconceptions out of it.

33 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Pretty sure we are admitting our own shortcomings in our response.

Not seen anyone at all putting all of the blame on China.

Exactly ! .. yes there are the usual rabble rousers. The little minds who want to blame China because they have to have something to cling to or someone to blame, and the slightly bigger minds who blame their own government for political gain. But they are a minority and deserve censure from the rest of us. 

This is a global problem, no one one is responsible (except perhaps Gaia ) most countries and leaders are doing their level best considering their form of government, the nature of their people, resources at hand and the way the virus has presented. ... yeah ok Don Orange Head  is a permatan short of a hair implant, but it is the exception that proves the rule so I am told. 

unless we work together, we will all lose out one way or another. 

1 minute ago, jono said:

Exactly ! .. yes there are the usual rabble rousers. The little minds who want to blame China because they have to have something to cling to or someone to blame, and the slightly bigger minds who blame their own government for political gain. But they are a minority and deserve censure from the rest of us. 

This is a global problem, no one one is responsible (except perhaps Gaia ) most countries and leaders are doing their level best considering their form of government, the nature of their people, resources at hand and the way the virus has presented. ... yeah ok Don Orange Head  is a permatan short of a hair implant, but it is the exception that proves the rule so I am told. 

unless we work together, we will all lose out one way or another. 

I agree. I also think every government is responding predictably.

Russia is refusing to accept they have a problem.

China is accepting they have (had?) a problem, but is saying they've controlled it. They've also mobilised extreme measures to stop citizens coming into contact with each other.

Boris is blustering a bit, possibly got it wrong at first but is accepting of expert guidance now we're in the mire. Erring on the side of allowing social freedoms rather than protecting the public with stringent anti-social rules.

Trump is seemingly between promising it'll cure itself in a week and congratulating himself on his Facebook figures/saying thousands are going to be ill. Just weird.

On 02/04/2020 at 17:57, Pearl Ram said:

And Trump signed a lucrative deal with Walmart yesterday for PPE so it seems to be a global shortage. Maybe global complacency regarding this kind of thing will be a thing of the past, if it isn’t, we’ll have learned little from this current pandemic.

On a totally different note, can anyone shed any light on what Shammi Chakrachuffinbarti did to be made a Baroness ? 

22 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

That's down to Cameron. Perhaps she had more pictures of him with that pigs head.....?

I may be wrong but didn't she become a baroness when Jeremy corbyn appointed her to the house of lords?  What did she do to earn this appointment from jeremy? Not sure but maybe it was her sterling job on heading up labours anti Semititism inquiry?

46 minutes ago, bigbadbob said:

Not sure but maybe it was her sterling job on heading up labours anti Semititism inquiry?

I've always been an anti semititisist myself, they should always be as large as possible.

1 hour ago, bigbadbob said:

I may be wrong but didn't she become a baroness when Jeremy corbyn appointed her to the house of lords?  What did she do to earn this appointment from jeremy? Not sure but maybe it was her sterling job on heading up labours anti Semititism inquiry?

Was part of Cameron's resignation honours list. Corbyn presumably nominated her. But she apparently only joined the labour party in 2016.

Her rise was due to her lobbying for some civil liberties group. Something like amnesty (but not that).

Archived