The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

My concern going forward is the following. 

I'm being given a whopping bonus to do 108 hours overtime in a set period. 

I'm doing 88 hours in the next 8 days. But come August, I'm going to need to take some holiday. I'm going to be burnt out. All my holiday has been took off me. We're in an operational state, so they can do that. So having took 4 days in February, I'm not going to get any holiday until 30th August. But everyone else will want holiday too. Its going to be a massive mess when all this sorts itself out. 

Would not want to be a nurse or a doctor come August to find out they haven't got enough holidays for everyone to get a break. 

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Norman said:

My concern going forward is the following. 

I'm being given a whopping bonus to do 108 hours overtime in a set period. 

I'm doing 88 hours in the next 8 days. But come August, I'm going to need to take some holiday. I'm going to be burnt out. All my holiday has been took off me. We're in an operational state, so they can do that. So having took 4 days in February, I'm not going to get any holiday until 30th August. But everyone else will want holiday too. Its going to be a massive mess when all this sorts itself out. 

Would not want to be a nurse or a doctor come August to find out they haven't got enough holidays for everyone to get a break. 

But it sounds like you are choosing to do the overtime?

i wouldn’t worry too much about the holiday. There won’t be any travel. 

14 minutes ago, RamNut said:

But it sounds like you are choosing to do the overtime?

i wouldn’t worry too much about the holiday. There won’t be any travel. 

Holiday as in sitting in my pants drinking beer and relaxing. 

I am choosing to do it. But really there is no choice. The money is too good. They've done it on purpose. 

But they can't have us doing 75-80 hour weeks for 14 weeks and then say 'sorry, everyone wants leave, youll have to wait until October'. 

4 days leave between December the 18th and October. Could be longer....

Going to be a lot of burnt out staff in the services at the end of the year. 

16 minutes ago, Norman said:

I am choosing to do it. But really there is no choice. The money is too good. They've done it on purpose. 

But they can't have us doing 75-80 hour weeks for 14 weeks and then say 'sorry, everyone wants leave, youll have to wait until October'. 

4 days leave between December the 18th and October. Could be longer....

Going to be a lot of burnt out staff in the services at the end of the year. 

Sorry, but if it's just that the money's too good to turn down then you do have a choice. You don't have to do 75-80 hours a week for 14 weeks. 

The comment "they've done it on purpose" sounds like a bit of unfair criticism of your employer as well.

Maybe a bit harsh but, if you choose to do so many hours JUST for the money then it's equally your fault if you burn out. Having said that, it does sound as if your employer is also being a bit irresponsible and short sighted by asking you to do so many hours and not letting you take any holiday for the next four months. it also sounds as if they could fall foul of statutory leave entitlement regulations. Either that or you'll have to take all your holiday in the latter part of the year. 

8 hours ago, ketteringram said:

Quick question if I may.

As an employer, when you put people on furlough, were they given an option to accept or not? 

The reason I'm asking, is that we were basically sent home , and told we were being furloughed. By the time I got home, I'd received an email explaining it a bit more, and it also said , something like...we hope you accept this. The alternative is voluntary redundancy, and failing that , compulsory redundancy.

But this was from a , do not reply, email address. No further mention was made of accepting it or not. 

There is now no one at work. Manufacturer, about 520 employees.

The bottom line is you do not have to accept being furloughed but then do have to accept the alternatives - for example if someone has less than 2 years service with the company the alternative would then being given their notice pay and then leave the business. 

33 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Sorry, but if it's just that the money's too good to turn down then you do have a choice. You don't have to do 75-80 hours a week for 14 weeks. 

The comment "they've done it on purpose" sounds like a bit of unfair criticism of your employer as well.

Maybe a bit harsh but, if you choose to do so many hours JUST for the money then it's equally your fault if you burn out. Having said that, it does sound as if your employer is also being a bit irresponsible and short sighted by asking you to do so many hours and not letting you take any holiday for the next four months. it also sounds as if they could fall foul of statutory leave entitlement regulations. Either that or you'll have to take all your holiday in the latter part of the year. 

It's a prison. We have no choice. We're in operational mode. If we refuse to work we can be sacked. They have legally cancelled 3 weeks leave for me in April and May. The bonus makes it impossible to turn down. 

We won't be able to take all the holiday. That's my point. I've got 215 hours to use. I already have 2 weeks in September booked, 1 in October, 1 in December and 1 in January. With a week of nights and a rest week in February. 

Just to clarify, a chunk of that 215 is in Toil. But still, my main point is they will cancel our leave legally, then when this is all over they will be inundated with leave requests that they won't be able to honour. 

Plus I have carried over a lot of holidays. But not really my point lol. My point is I will apply for leave and not get it due to 150 others wanting a break all at the same time. 

1 minute ago, Norman said:

It's a prison. We have no choice. We're in operational mode. If we refuse to work we can be sacked. They have legally cancelled 3 weeks leave for me in April and May. The bonus makes it impossible to turn down. 

We won't be able to take all the holiday. That's my point. I've got 215 hours to use. I already have 2 weeks in September booked, 1 in October, 1 in December and 1 in January. With a week of nights and a rest week in February. 

How can I pitch this without you taking offence - correct me if I'm wrong, but you are pretty anti union and anti workers gaining strong employment rights. Isn't this a consequence of eroding workers rights? I guess your work isn't blessed with adequate numbers of well-trained, motivated people working good hours that helps with mental and physical wellbeing, as it's been government policy for a long time - since Thatcher in the 80s - to oppose improving workers rights in favour of employer rights?

Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, Norman said:

hasn't there been some new legislation allowing leave to be carried over for 2 years ?

I get what you mean,  even if you can't go away you need down time, enjoy a beer or 8..

1 minute ago, GboroRam said:

How can I pitch this without you taking offence - correct me if I'm wrong, but you are pretty anti union and anti workers gaining strong employment rights. Isn't this a consequence of eroding workers rights? I guess your work isn't blessed with adequate numbers of well-trained, motivated people working good hours that helps with mental and physical wellbeing, as it's been government policy for a long time - since Thatcher in the 80s - to oppose improving workers rights in favour of employer rights?

We are in an operational state. They can cancel leave legally. Always have done, always will. 

My prison is full of amazing officers, who work hard and long hours. We are adequately staffed, but not for a pandemic. 

3 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

hasn't there been some new legislation allowing leave to be carried over for 2 years ?

I get what you mean,  even if you can't go away you need down time, enjoy a beer or 8..

Yeah, I've got side tracked. My point isn't my holidays getting cancelled. I don't care. Bigger things going on. But I'm sure I'm going to be expected to go through to Christmas with little down time.

Detail office will be fun in August. 

Sith Happens

I personally think we should be applauding norman, so what if he wants to vent..its normal to.

I'm just glad we have people like him with his commitment to what can obviously be a crappy job at times .

And my main point, which has been poorly worded, is that nurse and doctors dealing with deaths etc can't be expected to do the same. But they will be. And I fear a lot of them will be completely drained on 2 months, nevermind 6.

8 minutes ago, Norman said:

And my main point, which has been poorly worded, is that nurse and doctors dealing with deaths etc can't be expected to do the same. But they will be. And I fear a lot of them will be completely drained on 2 months, nevermind 6.

Do what everyone else is doing. Claim you have the symptoms and take two weeks isolation. Get it in before they start testing for it though else you’re ducked.

27 minutes ago, Norman said:

Just to clarify, a chunk of that 215 is in Toil. But still, my main point is they will cancel our leave legally, then when this is all over they will be inundated with leave requests that they won't be able to honour. 

Plus I have carried over a lot of holidays. But not really my point lol. My point is I will apply for leave and not get it due to 150 others wanting a break all at the same time. 

Ah sorry. I forgot you work in a prison so, it's not just about the money as you implied. Apologies.

I have no idea how they will do it but I would have thought that, some how, they will have to allow you to take your statutory annual leave.

1 hour ago, Norman said:

You’d have enjoyed the two weeks I’ve just had off from work.

in fact you have given me a whole new concept for a post-apocalyptic business venture whereby I can host pant-wearing, beer swigging relaxation events for consenting adults; everyone to sit at least 2m apart, having arrived after running the gauntlet of the Derbyshire Constabulary and the drone squad who are themselves busy generating content for their own twitter feed and Facebook pages.

10 minutes ago, RamNut said:

You’d have enjoyed the two weeks I’ve just had off from work.

in fact you have given me a whole new concept for a post-apocalyptic business venture whereby I can host pant-wearing, beer swigging relaxation events for consenting adults; everyone to sit at least 2m apart, having arrived after running the gauntlet of the Derbyshire Constabulary and the drone squad who are themselves busy generating content for their own twitter feed and Facebook pages.

I'd sign up, but I'm busy plotting my route to the Black Lagoon.

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I'd sign up, but I'm busy plotting my route to the Black Lagoon.

duck that I'm off to the blue lagoon,  always had a thing for brooke shields 

1 hour ago, Norman said:

the government as i understand it have changed the law regarding the amount of leave you can carry over due to CV19

Archived