The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, uttoxram75 said:

My point is about public services , so which public services do you think will benefit with Johnson and Cummings in government?

I frankly don't care and good luck finding someone who does, to have a discussion with, when your random opening statement is public services will be decimated. 

4 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

I frankly don't care and good luck finding someone who does, to have a discussion with, when your random opening statement is public services will be decimated. 

So you don't care. You don't care about public services or you don't care about my opinion?

I believe we are seeing the destruction of public services based on my experiences with the system over the last few years as me Dad succumbed to Alzheimers.

Public services have been decimated , the social care act of 2012 slashed the budgets to councils, many people have died prematurely because of this.  Its harder than ever to manage for a lot of us who depend on public services.

7 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Public services will be decimated by a Johnson/Cummings government. Anything and everything is open to profit motivated ideologies. 

Why do the right find it difficult to defend that instead of pretending its not the case?

Cummings is actually quite left wing. Perhaps that why we see much more socially driven policies..Why do you think the above is correct?

8 hours ago, Uptherams said:

You think he agrees with everything this adviser said too? I don't think he cares who they are, what they believe in or who they'd vote for so long as they do what the job involves. Not everyone is an activist or so tribal. Many people are and will be willing to work for a government who they didn't vote for. 

Watch this space when it comes to immigration too. But then again a points based merit system will some how be bigoted. 

Ah, you must be referring to the "Points based Australian system" that people like Johnson love to refer too all the time. It usually seems to hint at a much more restrictive system for immigration as the Aussies don't always come across as the most tolerant bunch of gallahs. Your pre-emptive Snowflake moaning that this will already be judged at bigoted suggests this to be the case.

I heard someone on the radio talking about this the other day and how it's pretty meaningless to mention the Aussie system with little or no detail. The following paragraph from https://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/resources/reports/the-australian-points-based-system-what-is-it-and-what-would-its-impact-be-in-the-uk/ is interesting....

"The UK’s current system for admitting non-EU citizens is known as ‘The Points-based System’ although it is quite different from the Australian model and relies heavily on employers to decide which workers have the skills that they need. Compared to the UK’s employer-driven system, Australia’s points system is more centrally planned as the government, rather than employers, plays the key role in deciding who should be admitted. There is also more scrutiny of migrants’ personal characteristics such as their age and qualifications, and not just the jobs they will do. Unlike in the UK, many skilled workers migrating to Australia receive permanent residence rights immediately."

Surprised to see that Johnson and co are keen to take power away from employers and also to give immigrants permanent visa immediately. I can see why you might think this is a good idea.

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

Cummings is actually quite left wing. Perhaps that why we see much more socially driven policies..Why do you think the above is correct?

I've heard this said, but cannot find evidence of any thinking that might be termed "left wing" being directly attributed to him.

By his recent comments and actions he appears more "anti-establishment " if anything.

Where I am suspicions is that what some may see as "socially driven policies" are essentially a power play that happens to be convenient for Johnson at present. 

If, for example, policies being pursued resulted in any threat to the Tories southern heartlands I would fully expect furious back-pedalling and u-turns aplenty. Essentially I believe this to be a party that is about pure power taking full advantage of opposition in complete disarray,  rather than anything ideological. 

Could be wrong of course. But I shall simply retreat and suck on my cut price avocados with what remain of my teeth that I can't get fixed on the NHS.....?

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

Ah, you must be referring to the "Points based Australian system" that people like Johnson love to refer too all the time. It usually seems to hint at a much more restrictive system for immigration as the Aussies don't always come across as the most tolerant bunch of gallahs. Your pre-emptive Snowflake moaning that this will already be judged at bigoted suggests this to be the case.

I heard someone on the radio talking about this the other day and how it's pretty meaningless to mention the Aussie system with little or no detail. The following paragraph from https://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/resources/reports/the-australian-points-based-system-what-is-it-and-what-would-its-impact-be-in-the-uk/ is interesting....

"The UK’s current system for admitting non-EU citizens is known as ‘The Points-based System’ although it is quite different from the Australian model and relies heavily on employers to decide which workers have the skills that they need. Compared to the UK’s employer-driven system, Australia’s points system is more centrally planned as the government, rather than employers, plays the key role in deciding who should be admitted. There is also more scrutiny of migrants’ personal characteristics such as their age and qualifications, and not just the jobs they will do. Unlike in the UK, many skilled workers migrating to Australia receive permanent residence rights immediately."

Surprised to see that Johnson and co are keen to take power away from employers and also to give immigrants permanent visa immediately. I can see why you might think this is a good idea.

Bizarre that you are posting about another countries system when the details of the UK's have been released...  

13 hours ago, Uptherams said:

how many more projects they could also fund with the remainder of this £100bn plus budget. The bridge between Scotland and Ireland,

Do you genuinely believe that a bridge between Scotland and Ireland is a realistic possibility? Despite the fact that it would serve almost no purpose and the fact that civil engineers are unanimous that it would be a physical impossibility due to the depth of the water? That's before we get on to the fact that the depth of the trench is why we disposed of so many explosives and munitions into it over the past 80 years...

It's just posturing, look at me, I have big ideas nonsense. Will never happen

11 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Do you genuinely believe that a bridge between Scotland and Ireland is a realistic possibility? Despite the fact that it would serve almost no purpose and the fact that civil engineers are unanimous that it would be a physical impossibility due to the depth of the water? That's before we get on to the fact that the depth of the trench is why we disposed of so many explosives and munitions into it over the past 80 years...

It's just posturing, look at me, I have big ideas nonsense. Will never happen

It would also divert resources away from the points based tunnel to Australia.

2 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

I believe, and I hope I'm wrong, that we will move toward a US style private health system without any reasonable safety net. Cummings will act on behalf of corporate interests but try to spin it as good for the country.

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

By his recent comments and actions he appears more "anti-establishment " if anything.

I think the anti-establishment stuff is really more about watering down corporate regulations, transparency and tax avoidance schemes. Its virtually impossible to make a case for doing those things so its dressed up as anti establishment stuff.

17 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

People on here are fuming about Radio Derby's conduct but don't seem bothered about this at all. People on this thread who like to post on most things don't feel this merits comment.

Other than the recent @Carl Sagan @Highgate chat I found interesting this thread has turned into a bit of a Left Wing self help therapy group, I thought I'd leave you to it ? 

Archived