New Years Resolutions

Coneheadjohn

On 01/02/2020 at 11:54, maxjam said:

I did the first 2 weeks of January on my potato diet and lost 14lb in 14 days and am just finishing a further 2 weeks of eating sensibly and have lost another 4lb.  

Back on the potato's again for another 2 weeks starting Monday after which I'll have hopefully dropped down to my target weight. 

Its been remarkably easy so far - the 2 weeks eating nothing but potato's is boring but the results are immediate which keeps the motivation up and by making a few minor adjustments to my regular diet I haven't felt as though I'm missing out or compromising myself (which would lead to temptation) so am pretty pleased with the progress so far.

Quoting myself to follow on the story...

Finished another 2 weeks of my potato diet yesterday and have lost another 9lb - total weight loss since the beginning of the year is 27lbs or 1lb shy of 2 stone ? Starting another 2 weeks of normal healthy eating now and hope to lose another couple of pounds. 

After that I dunno what to do, according to the NHS website I'm still a stone overweight but I'm starting to look pretty trim, not really sure where I could lose that much from without looking like Joaquin Phoenix in the Joker!  I might start another 2 week potato diet but drop it after a week if I start to look like I need a good meal. 

Whatever, I'm very pleased with the start to the year and changes we've made to carry it forwards.  Here's hoping I don't slip back into old habits.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, maxjam said:

Quoting myself to follow on the story...

Finished another 2 weeks of my potato diet yesterday and have lost another 9lb - total weight loss since the beginning of the year is 27lbs or 1lb shy of 2 stone ? Starting another 2 weeks of normal healthy eating now and hope to lose another couple of pounds. 

After that I dunno what to do, according to the NHS website I'm still a stone overweight but I'm starting to look pretty trim, not really sure where I could lose that much from without looking like Joaquin Phoenix in the Joker!  I might start another 2 week potato diet but drop it after a week if I start to look like I need a good meal. 

Whatever, I'm very pleased with the start to the year and changes we've made to carry it forwards.  Here's hoping I don't slip back into old habits.

Let me get this straight... you literally eat 3 meals a day of nothing but potatoes (presumably boiled) for 2 weeks at a time?

Just now, Srg said:

Let me get this straight... you literally eat 3 meals a day of nothing but potatoes (presumably boiled) for 2 weeks at a time?

Lol, yup.  Boiled potatoes for breakfast and lunch, crisped up a little in a little mini oven thing my wife bought that sits on the worktops and plain jacket potatoes for dinner.  I sprinkle a bit of chili powder on for variety!

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/potato-diet#1

Its a bit boring, but the weight has been dropping off so fast it keeps the motivation up. It dropped off a little slower the second time around but I guess thats because I had less to lose.  

You're only supposed to do the diet for 3-5 days at a time but as a quick fix to a number of years working from home sat in front of my computer I decided to do it the first 2 weeks of every month until I lost 2-3 stone - as I said in my previous post I'm more or less there now, if I drop another stone I think that will be to much, maybe just do it for a week at the beginning of March.

Its been a great start to the new year health wise, along with the diet, we've changed our regular eating routines slightly and its really been no hassle or left us with cravings or feeling hungry.  The dog is getting 2 long walks each day which gets me out in the fresh air for an hour at a time, I just need to find time/an activity for a bit of cardio now

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

Lol, yup.  Boiled potatoes for breakfast and lunch, crisped up a little in a little mini oven thing my wife bought that sits on the worktops and plain jacket potatoes for dinner.  I sprinkle a bit of chili powder on for variety!

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/potato-diet#1

I admire your dedication to it! I hadn't heard of that one. It's a bit limited?, but it clearly works.  I guess it would also work, if all you ate was apples for two weeks. I'm sure I once read somewhere that the longest anyone can survive without protein was about 70 days.

49 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

I admire your dedication to it! I hadn't heard of that one. It's a bit limited?, but it clearly works.  I guess it would also work, if all you ate was apples for two weeks. I'm sure I once read somewhere that the longest anyone can survive without protein was about 70 days.

Probably, although potatoes are one of the best foods to fill you up and have slow release carbs.  Also, if you cook them, allow them to cool then reheat them most of the natural sugar turns to resistant starch.  We cook them the night before, stick them in the fridge then get out what we want the next day.

If you can stick the monotony it works a treat ? 

EDIT: Can't say I've noticed the lack of protein or other essential stuff in my diet.  I guess if you're reasonably healthy to begin with you can do pretty much anything for a couple of weeks.

Archived