Duane Holmes

DarkFruitsRam7

Duane?

Anyway, in your mind's eye imagine this was next week and in your mind's eye imagine Wayne's little face on Duncan's little body and in your mind's eye imagine that Wayne had just put in that exact performance on his debut. 

We'd all be dripping little white tears from our mind's eyes I reckon.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I’m not one for frivolous thread creation, but he really does deserve his own thread.

He was absolutely outstanding tonight. His performance on the ball was as good as any from last season, but what impressed me most was his defensive nous. Gallagher was running the show in the first half, but Holmes completely pocketed him in the second. All the kicking, pushing, chirping and hair stroking amounted to poohousery of the highest and most effective order.

Even more impressive is the fact that he did that in a team of ten men and was in the middle of a flat four across the middle - a role which he’s neither used to or physically suited to. 

More of that and he’ll be my favourite player again.

Over the last few weeks I have been very critical of him , not effort but final quality and been doubtful if he could make the step up ,,, tonight he was fantastic ,joint mom with Knight 

Take that one, Duane Holmes haters!? Defended him to the hilt recently against a barrage of people who have strangely decided he should be the scapegoat for recent performances, and he certainly paid back my faith tonight! 

In fairness, I can understand some criticism of him. His quality in the final third does let him down, and we need better, more consistently, from him if he’s gonna be the top quality player we need to push for promotion. But right now, in our current predicament, he’s soooo far from the biggest problem with this mess of a squad that I find the scapegoating just weird. Swear I see different games to you lot. He’s by an absolute country mile our best central midfielder, and honestly if you take him out that side we’d be so ducked it’s unreal. He’s one of the few players we have who are actually any good technically at all, and one of the few with any intelligence that are just about holding us together right now. Never shies away, always wants the ball, and is the only player who’s any good at actually carrying the ball through the midfield. How anyone thinks we’d be better without him I don’t know. While we’re in this mess, he’s absolutely vital, even if we need him to improve in the long term.

Todays performance he was absolutely excellent. Up there with a Knight in MOM contention for me. Once he moved into CDM, where he should be anyway, he was absolutely fantastic. Turned up everywhere, involved in almost every move, some wonderful pieces of skill and some very intelligent passes. That pass for the second goal was unreal! His energy as always was brilliant too, he fought so hard to win possession, and he read the game very well as well. Just a phenomenal performance all round, showing exactly what he can do. Hopefully after seeing that, everyone will see that he’s so far from the main issue with this team that it’s untrue. If you can’t, well, then you’re wrong, Dunno what else to tell you.

Joking aside and this isn’t just another pop at Lawrence but I thought holmes benefitted most of all from Lawrence’s absence it was almost as if he was charged with carrying the game to charlton and tbh he did it 55x better than Lawrence has been

he retained the ball for us high up and got us playing through energy, care of the ball and not least ability 

the commentator alluded to his scunny days where he apparently played behind the front man 

I’m begging cocu to keep him higher up the pitch where he can hurt sides 

Probably his best performance for us tonight .. simply outstanding he was 

credit to bird too, his assurance and discipline holding that central area allowed holmes to basically cover every blade of grass

id love to know how much ground holmes and knight covered between them tonight compared to others 

bet it’s frightening 

I've knocked him a little earlier this season, but I'd say he's been much improved over the last month or so, and has probably been our best player in that time.

Tonight he was excellent again, in a game full of very good performances he was right up there.

He's shed the fur coat, but rather than no knickers, he's donning a pair of Superman pants.

10 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I’m not one for frivolous thread creation, but he really does deserve his own thread.

He was absolutely outstanding tonight. His performance on the ball was as good as any from last season, but what impressed me most was his defensive nous. Gallagher was running the show in the first half, but Holmes completely pocketed him in the second. All the kicking, pushing, chirping and hair stroking amounted to poohousery of the highest and most effective order.

Even more impressive is the fact that he did that in a team of ten men and was in the middle of a flat four across the middle - a role which he’s neither used to or physically suited to. 

More of that and he’ll be my favourite player again.

He was brilliant last night, however he needs to do it every game not just 1 in 20. Lawerence and Holmes could be a huge difference to us if they were more consistent. He also needs to start adding goals to his game 

I think a lot of the criticism is borne out of frustration at what we know he can do. Yesterday was the first game I can remember this season where he was running at players and keeping the ball. In previous games he’s looked slow and his final ball has been poor. 
Yesterday he was excellent. I hope he’s not another player whose versatility is to his detriment, with the manager playing him wherever there is a missing player - right back, CDM, right wing etc. He’ll put a shift in wherever he’s played but when given the freedom he was given yesterday, that’s when he’s at his best. 

8 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Turned up everywhere

He turned up, something he’s failed to do all season. Plays like that and he’s a hell of a player, plays like he has for all the other games and he’s a liability. Time will tell I guess 

12 hours ago, Dimmu said:

I think it has more to do with him having room to slalom through their midfiedl. If there is attacking midfielder more, there's is bound to be one opposition more as well. Too tight to pass them by running and that's what he does. I wouldn't won't Rooney as attacking midfielder, just put him up top with Marriott. 

So we play as 10 men from now on? ? 

2 hours ago, TexasRam said:

He turned up, something he’s failed to do all season. Plays like that and he’s a hell of a player, plays like he has for all the other games and he’s a liability. Time will tell I guess 

At no point this season has Holmes been a liability. He’s also turned up far more often than most of those around him.

He was very good in this game and stood up well - I definitely do not think he is a central midfielder and he looked very useful out wide in place of Lawrence until the sending off moved him back centrally where he did well - his task is to be like that in every game! 

Archived