Promotion

Yani P

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Normally I would be the one with my head full of dreams and the one eyeing up flights to London in May.

I just think as amazing as it would be, everything seems to be going against us this season, so I'm not getting my hopes up personally. It doesn't have the feel of 'this is our year', it has the feel of 'if anything could go wrong, it will and disastrously and cruelly so'.

Of course, the players should be playing to win and playing as though anything is possible. I'd fully expect that.

But surely as Derby County fans, hardened through experience, we really do know better now not to get our hopes up?

But if I didn’t get my hopes up every year (since the early 1970’s) what’s the point??? Without hope there is nothing ....  I might as well give up and go find a different pastime ..... flower arranging, origami, join the gym or whatever .... to lose your hope & expectation means supporting your boyhood club is worthless ???

8 minutes ago, Gisby said:

But if I didn’t get my hopes up every year (since the early 1970s) what’s the point??? Without hope there is nothing ....  I might as well give up and go find a different pastime ....

True. And why shouldn't we win the FA Cup? #COYR

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

True. And why shouldn't we win the FA Cup? #COYR

Win the FA Cup on the 23rd May and the playoff final a couple of days later on the 25th - won't even need to change hotels.

15 minutes ago, Grimbeard said:

If we get anywhere near the playoffs we'll get a 10 point deduction. If we stay midtable we'll start next season on minus 10 points.

It's the EFL way innit?

If they wanted to the EFL has the power to remove us from the playoffs entirely even without a points deductions. They could do the same if we made automatics (unlikely this season, but still) as well. They haven't done it before, but it is one of the powers they have for enforcing FFP - just saying...

6 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Win the FA Cup on the 23rd May and the playoff final a couple of days later on the 25th - won't even need to change hotels.

If they wanted to the EFL has the power to remove us from the playoffs entirely even without a points deductions. They could do the same if we made automatics (unlikely this season, but still) as well. They haven't done it before, but it is one of the powers they have for enforcing FFP - just saying...

But where's the fun in that? The EFL enjoy being vindictive, they'd much rather that we get close, and they get to snatch it away. it gives them a power buzz.

17 minutes ago, Grimbeard said:

But where's the fun in that? The EFL enjoy being vindictive, they'd much rather that we get close, and they get to snatch it away. it gives them a power buzz.

Just imagine we get into the playoffs though on the last day of the season - everyone's celebrating and the EFL turn up and nope we've just taken you out the playoffs and replaced you with whoever finished 7th - lets just say Boro for fun. I feel that would be even worse than a points deduction - we wouldn't go down any places -  we'd still finish 6th, but wouldn't get to compete in the playoffs just because the EFL are upset that they have been out manoeuvred.

I'm not as cynical as you though Grimbeard - I reckon our pals at the EFL will graciously push the playoff final back a few days to allow our team a bit of extra rest after their memorable FA Cup final win.

39 minutes ago, GenBr said:

It would be interesting to see that (doesn't have to be Derby); I wonder which game would get re-arranged. Surely the FA wouldn't allow a club to play two finals two days apart?

1 hour ago, Grimbeard said:

If we get anywhere near the playoffs we'll get a 10 point deduction. If we stay midtable we'll start next season on minus 10 points.

It's the EFL way innit?

Sadly, I think you might be right, but the club shouldn't have got into this situation with the EFL. 

17 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

It would be interesting to see that (doesn't have to be Derby); I wonder which game would get re-arranged. Surely the FA wouldn't allow a club to play two finals two days apart?

No probs for us, normal rotation between Jack, Chris, Waggy and the rest....????

I understand peoples urge for a hope and something to believe in, but promotion is unrealistic this season. Of course it's mathematically possible but with everything that's happened this season asking for promotion is too much of a stretch. As a matter of fact, we havent been good enough and imo still arent despite the improvements lately. Signs of good things to come are definitely showing and if we keep developing I dont see why we won't be a contender next season. But this is a transitional season.

The first target should just be to get a positive goal difference. To have conceded seven goals to Luton, Northampton and Swansea shows that there is still much work to do.

ironically fewer sprogs seems to have coincided with an improvement. Maybe a few are getting over confident. 
bogle is certainly getting a bit daft. 

22 minutes ago, DerpyDane said:

I understand peoples urge for a hope and something to believe in, but promotion is unrealistic this season. Of course it's mathematically possible but with everything that's happened this season asking for promotion is too much of a stretch. As a matter of fact, we havent been good enough and imo still arent despite the improvements lately. Signs of good things to come are definitely showing and if we keep developing I dont see why we won't be a contender next season. But this is a transitional season.

Why state its unrealistic this season, we have 45 points to play for. Lots of fans, punters and the media were saying, when WBA and Leeds were 11 points clear of 3rd place that every other team were all trying to get a play off place, because the automatics was sorted. That gap has now gone, Leeds hanging on to 2nd on goal diff. Barring Westbrom all the rest have lost 7 gmes or more. Preston in 6th place have lost 9, the Rams have lost 10. Its not unrealistic until it becomes impossible to snatch 6th spot. I am not going to beat the drum and say we are going to get promotion, but whilst there is still a lot to play for, its always a possibility.

12 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Why state its unrealistic this season, we have 45 points to play for. Lots of fans, punters and the media were saying, when WBA and Leeds were 11 points clear of 3rd place that every other team were all trying to get a play off place, because the automatics was sorted. That gap has now gone, Leeds hanging on to 2nd on goal diff. Barring Westbrom all the rest have lost 7 gmes or more. Preston in 6th place have lost 9, the Rams have lost 10. Its not unrealistic until it becomes impossible to snatch 6th spot. I am not going to beat the drum and say we are going to get promotion, but whilst there is still a lot to play for, its always a possibility.

I think we have a different perception of the word unrealistic. I dont mean its actually impossible, just that I dont see it as very likely at all with how things have unfolded this season and thus I dont see any reason to start a hype train just because we're winning a few games and we've won away from home for the first time in half a year. We still have to play every single team in the top 8. It would require a monumental run until the end of the season for us to even reach playoffs. 

we still don’t really know which Derby County will turn up.
We could win the next game 2-0 or lose it 2-0 and neither result would be a massive surprise, whoever we are playing.

As you get closer to the prizes then the pressure increases and good teams suddenly get stage fright. We haven’t had to play under pressure yet.

however getting giddy after an away win is fair enough, given the fact that it’s taken us six months to knock one out. 

An away win against a team good at home who have been competing with the top 6 most of the season. Today could be a statement, it could be the result that gives the team belief we can compete away from home. Next 3 away games key, if we get 6 points from them and keep the home from going then a late dash for the playoffs is definitely on!

Archived