Promotion

Yani P

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 29/02/2020 at 17:07, ariotofmyown said:

Whilst I don't think we will make the playoffs at all, you can't help looking at the table and dreaming.

We are 9 points off Brentford in 5th, 8 points of Preston in 6th and 6 points of 7th place.

We still got to play both Brentford and Preston, so it's in our hands to be 6 points off 5th.

Our March fixtures of Blackburn, Millwall, Reading and Preston doesn't exactly fill you with fear.

We've started to win away and if we manage to hit form and win both home and away, maybe the end of the season could still be interesting.

I don't think I've been given enough credit for resurrecting this thread and influencing both the players and the fan to believe.

7 minutes ago, Yani P said:

Games left 9:

Millwall 8th (a) 

Reading 14th (H)

Preston 6th (a) 

Forest 5th (H) 

WBA 2nd (a) 

Brentford 4th (H) 

Cardiff 9th (a) 

Leeds 1st (H) 

Birmingham 16th (a) 

Hopefully an exciting end to the season and if we do miss out on playoffs, more performances like today to set up the momentum for next season.

7 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Hopefully an exciting end to the season and if we do miss out on playoffs, more performances like today to set up the momentum for next season.

This.

Too many teams between us and the play offs, not the points as such, just the amount of teams we'd have to do better than.

Next season though, with a full close season of Cocu and Rooney working with these young lads.....

30 minutes ago, Yani P said:

Games left 9:

Millwall 8th (a) 

Reading 14th (H)

Preston 6th (a) 

Forest 5th (H) 

WBA 2nd (a) 

Brentford 4th (H) 

Cardiff 9th (a) 

Leeds 1st (H) 

Birmingham 16th (a) 

We are the kingmakers 

I think the other day Rowett was saying he thinks it will be 72 points for the play offs. I’d guess at 70 points minimum, which is 19 points out of 27 available. So 6 wins, 1 draw and 2 losses.

It would take some run in when 4 of those games are against Leeds, Forest, West Brom and Brentford. 

20 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Too many teams between us and the play offs, not the points as such, just the amount of teams we'd have to do better than.

We play 7 of them though so a Villa style run we will make it.. 

On 07/03/2020 at 17:18, S8TY said:

How do you know any players are deflated?? and would they be fresh enough for a game a few days later ??? you don't know any of this and you're presuming....so what will you say if players come back on sunday and we win to put us only 5 points outside play offs......bet you won't post Cocu got it right.....negative crap

Nowhere to be seen. Drops notebook in amazement...

On 07/03/2020 at 17:31, Jourdan said:

But it only takes one result to start a run...

Weirdly, kinda, nearly positive... Who are you and what have you done with Jourdan?

On 07/03/2020 at 19:44, eezzeetiger said:

And 8 points off 6th on Monday

FTFY

giphy.gif

On 07/03/2020 at 19:41, eezzeetiger said:

And you are 14th in it.

You must be a good side

On 07/03/2020 at 19:44, eezzeetiger said:

And 8 points off 6th on Monday

FTFY

23 hours ago, eezzeetiger said:

and you are still 14th

No No and No. 

31 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Nowhere to be seen. Drops notebook in amazement...

Weirdly, kinda, nearly positive... Who are you and what have you done with Jourdan?

giphy.gif

???....I was thinking the same earlier ...to be honest Schmokes even if we hadn’t had won today you see the benefit in giving some young players the experience of a home game against good opposition On Thursday  ...but yep some posters have disappeared into the ether lol ? 

I think too many things need to go our way for us to make the playoffs, however it’s great that we still have something to play for.

However if we pulled off the miracle and won the playoffs, would promotion be the best thing for us right now? Now I’m usually of the mindset that you’d never turn down promotion because the riches involved would set us up as a club but this squad is clearly not ready. We played well against United but were still comfortably beaten. Our youngsters have great potential but still have no experience. Bird for example, majestic first half today, a class above yet second half made a couple of mistakes that went unpunished, in a premier league game those mistakes would be punished.

So if we were promoted we would either follow the current ethos of developing the club harnessing talent from within, we’d play decent football win some plaudits but ultimately finish bottom (a la Norwich) or we (Mel) would feel the pressure to spend, we do a Villa and spend lots of money on average players to possibly stay up, possibly not. In the first scenario we go down and the premier league vultures think your lads have had a good season’s development they’re ready now so we’ll take them thank you, the second scenario the players don’t develop as path to the first team is blocked off by signings.

If we stay down, we are competitive next season, good chance of promotion the lads develop want to stay with us and we have a go at trying to be competitive in the premier league.

Be interesting to know people’s thoughts, I think the teams natural progression will mean we fall short this season but we smash it next season, but give me the chance to see another Wembley final win, banish the pain of the last 2 finals and laugh at the red dogs who in ducking up will have given us this great opportunity - yes please!

57 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I think too many things need to go our way for us to make the playoffs, however it’s great that we still have something to play for.

However if we pulled off the miracle and won the playoffs, would promotion be the best thing for us right now? Now I’m usually of the mindset that you’d never turn down promotion because the riches involved would set us up as a club but this squad is clearly not ready. We played well against United but were still comfortably beaten. Our youngsters have great potential but still have no experience. Bird for example, majestic first half today, a class above yet second half made a couple of mistakes that went unpunished, in a premier league game those mistakes would be punished.

So if we were promoted we would either follow the current ethos of developing the club harnessing talent from within, we’d play decent football win some plaudits but ultimately finish bottom (a la Norwich) or we (Mel) would feel the pressure to spend, we do a Villa and spend lots of money on average players to possibly stay up, possibly not. In the first scenario we go down and the premier league vultures think your lads have had a good season’s development they’re ready now so we’ll take them thank you, the second scenario the players don’t develop as path to the first team is blocked off by signings.

If we stay down, we are competitive next season, good chance of promotion the lads develop want to stay with us and we have a go at trying to be competitive in the premier league.

Be interesting to know people’s thoughts, I think the teams natural progression will mean we fall short this season but we smash it next season, but give me the chance to see another Wembley final win, banish the pain of the last 2 finals and laugh at the red dogs who in ducking up will have given us this great opportunity - yes please!

Take promotion, trust in the kids, get booing them after a tough start, force Cocu out, get dinosaur manager in, sell kids at Xmas on the cheap and replace with experienced journeymen, relegated still and get saddled with expensive players who are no good. Party like it's 2008/09.

That run in is tough, but then we seem to have found a bit of a thread away from home, and the top sides aren't all that. Wigan have turned the top 2 over in recent weeks. 

Just got to win the next one because at this stage there's no more room for slip ups. We're capable of beating Millwall. They're capable of beating us. I've just got a bit of a vibe about us at the moment though.

Archived