Is it Wisdom, or Trent AA?

Lander

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Good game by Wisdom today. Very solid both defensively and on the ball going forward. Some lovely touches and pieces of skill to retain possession in tight areas. A couple of excellent crosses that deserved better as well - the question is now, where do we play him? It’s his shirt to lose at RB after Bogle’s recent form, but I think we missed his ability on the ball at CB today. It’s a real conundrum.

56 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Good game by Wisdom today. Very solid both defensively and on the ball going forward. Some lovely touches and pieces of skill to retain possession in tight areas. A couple of excellent crosses that deserved better as well - the question is now, where do we play him? It’s his shirt to lose at RB after Bogle’s recent form, but I think we missed his ability on the ball at CB today. It’s a real conundrum.

If he plays centre back, which is where I prefer him u have to play fozzy to Make for the lack of height from set pieces .... midweek at Bristol case in point 

have to say I find it strange that away from home where u need to be tighter, more assured and battle hardy cocu went for the ever so lightweight and fragile bogle and lowe combo .. then at home against a side 5 points off the drop he elects to instead of opening it up and go for the young exuberant kids he goes back to the old guard 

he does baffle me sometimes, although I realise both the young lads needed taking out of the firing line after the midweek game 

17 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

If he plays centre back, which is where I prefer him u have to play fozzy to Make for the lack of height from set pieces .... midweek at Bristol case in point 

have to say I find it strange that away from home where u need to be tighter, more assured and battle hardy cocu went for the ever so lightweight and fragile bogle and lowe combo .. then at home against a side 5 points off the drop he elects to instead of opening it up and go for the young exuberant kids he goes back to the old guard 

he does baffle me sometimes, although I realise both the young lads needed taking out of the firing line after the midweek game 

I agree with you on pretty much everything there. Wisdom is certainly a problem at CB due to his Aerial vulnerability, which is probably why Davies plays today. But Davies playing presents a whole different problem in that he’s too slow playing out the back, which weakens our attacking threat compared to having Wisdom in there. It’s a real difficult one, and I do feel for Cocu, as we really need to have players who do both in order to compete (and of course we did, until a certain former captain managed to get himself injured..). It was the killer blow to the season when we didn’t get a new first choice CB in during the January transfer window.

Also agree he got the team selections the wrong way around. Think it was more understandable to keep the footballing backline against Bristol and have a go at them - it would have worked out if not for stupid mistakes. But in hindsight if you’re Cocu you probably think that those mistakes could have been avoided with more solid full backs in the team, which is why he chose the lineup today. But it was the wrong call today, simple as that. We ended up with a backline who couldn’t successfully beat a press, which restricted our attacking threat, as well as caused us problems at the back. Cocu has to take a fair amount of the blame for not getting the win today imo, much of it was down to his initial team selection, as well as the decision to be conservative and bring on Shinnie rather than Knight.

Think our best backline probably lies somewhere in between the previous two... but I must admit it’s incredibly difficult to work out for sure what will work, so I do really feel for Cocu with the lack of options at his disposal. My guess would be that we’d be better with one or the other of Bogle and Lowe for the time being until we can get a proper CB in... and on current form, it should be Lowe starting for me.

Archived