Renew or release

Ilsonram12

2 hours ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Sorry mate but I’d disagree with everything you’ve said apart from your opinion on Thorne. The only player I’d be inclined to keep is Huddlestone due to his passing ability, but even that would have to be on reduced terms.

The problem with this club is that we’ve handed out fat contracts to bang average players leaving us in a mess. I’d release the lot and start a fresh which is desperately needed. 

It’d also free up some wage space enabling us to change the squad considerably.

Fair enough, I wouldn’t expect to have much support my view here. I would say that all this is with the obvious caveat that most players I’ve said we should keep on would only be kept on with contracts on lower wages than currently. Most of them I’d expect would accept that at this point in their careers. I just think that a fair few of these players are nowhere near as “bang average” as they look at the moment under Cocu. Not spectacular, but I think that it would take decent scouting to replace them (and do we have that?), and that’s my fear. 

Obviously we need a squad refresh, and certainly whichever way up we need some new first choice players. But I think it’s hard to replace a whole squad at once. Hence my short term ‘solution’...

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Rampant said:

Jamie Paterson (28) - return to sender
- Kieran Dowell (22) - return on 1st Jan if possible
- Ben Hamer (32) - send back
- Matthew Clarke (23) - see how he goes when fit before deciding
- Chris Martin (31) - release with love 
- Tom Huddlestone (32) - release
- Mason Bennett (23) - release (in a taxi)
- Craig Forsyth (30) - thanks but bye
- Curtis Davies (34) - as above
- Ikechi Anya (31) - who?
- George Thorne (26) - wrap in cotton wool and set free

Summary - none to be retained

Exactly right.

On 27/12/2019 at 18:34, David said:

I don’t think keeping hold of Hamer would be a bad idea if we can get him cheap and he’s ok with the idea of backup.

Bennett is still young but finding it hard to get past his injury issues, the lad just can’t stay fit to get any real game time under his belt. I would be tempted to give him an extra year with an option of another year with the understanding he will be sent out on loan. 

Probably it.

Dowell and Paterson haven’t worked out for whatever reason. Brighton only signed Clarke last summer for a hefty fee, came in, impressed a lot then faded badly, would need to show a lot in the second half of the season for us to be tempted to splash out on him.

Martin, Huddlestone, Forsyth, Davies, sorry no.

Anya, you can’t seriously even need to ask.

Then there is George Thorne, oh what could have been. Wouldn’t surprise me to see him hang up his boots in the summer, hurts to see such a gifted player destroyed by injuries. Hate to think where his head is at. 

I never see it in Bennett other than his pressing, he doesn't seem to score enough, or make enough assists and I don't think he is quick enough, I really wanted it to work out up until last season, but he doesn't seem to improve.

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Or down. How on earth do you think our recruitment team will replace half of that lot?

Out of the 15 players you could argue we only have 5 current first team players who are past their best or not performing at any type of required level? 
The rest either long term injuries or not in the first team frame? 
Players unable to perform at any type of decent level? 
Based on the fact that we will have two transfer windows to replace them in before the contracts run out in Jan or summer....easily. 

Although, our recruitment team don’t instil any kind of confidence, Cocu should be having much more of an input right now. 

The broom needs to sweep long, deep and clean. 

On 27/12/2019 at 18:34, David said:

Bennett is still young but finding it hard to get past his injury issues, the lad just can’t stay fit to get any real game time under his belt. I would be tempted to give him an extra year with an option of another year with the understanding he will be sent out on loan

Never understood the love for Bennett, awful 1st touch, cant shoot, cant head the ball, no vision, no footballing brain. Has a bit of energy but a truly awful footballer. Get rid asap to anyone who’ll have him 

Just now, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I'd take Lawrence there instead.  Pattersons a much better team player and more versatile. We just don't play him.

I really hope we try and get a fee from someone for Lawrence in the Jan window, get the feeling he's not a great influence in the squad

God-how I miss the days of Jamie Ward (when he was fit) and Johnny Russell on the wings

4 hours ago, Wignall12 said:

Yes , but people want to crucify Cocu for it and bring  someone else in short term to further ballz it up for years to come. Why are people So short sighted and impatient for instant success. If doesn't work,  we've been there before .....if you want instant success go play FIFA or whatever 

Excellent post. 

Your username also reminded me of Sam Winnall. Wouldn't mind seeing him back here tbh.

Why would anyone keep hamer as back up when we have Roos under contract who is younger & equally as poo. Its like choosing between a kick in the balls & a kick in the balls. Its not worth keeping bidding for Hamer as back up if we can't shift Roos. 

On 27/12/2019 at 18:16, Ilsonram12 said:

Out of the current Derby loanees and contract expires would you like any of them to be signed on a permanent/renewed for next season?

- Jamie Paterson (28)
- Kieran Dowell (22)
- Ben Hamer (32)
- Matthew Clarke (23)
- Chris Martin (31)
- Tom Huddlestone (32)
- Mason Bennett (23)
- Craig Forsyth (30)
- Curtis Davies (34)
- Ikechi Anya (31)
- George Thorne (26)

None from me

All of them.  We can do better

On 27/12/2019 at 18:16, Ilsonram12 said:

Out of the current Derby loanees and contract expires would you like any of them to be signed on a permanent/renewed for next season?

- Jamie Paterson (28)
- Kieran Dowell (22)
- Ben Hamer (32)
- Matthew Clarke (23)
- Chris Martin (31)
- Tom Huddlestone (32)
- Mason Bennett (23)
- Craig Forsyth (30)
- Curtis Davies (34)
- Ikechi Anya (31)
- George Thorne (26)

None from me

Around 7m of FFP losses right there. 

2 hours ago, maydrakin said:

Why are we even discussing Hamer, Clarke, Paterson and Dowell as players we’d keep?

None of them are ours, so the fact they are going is a fait accompli.

I think Brighton might sell Clarke.

He would seem to be 5th choice centre back, and they managed to land Adam Webster for £20m after signing Clarke. He may therefore have become dispensable to them.

58 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Around 7m of FFP losses right there. 

If there are any losses they can only relate to Huddlestone, Thorne, Davies and Anya, and l would be staggered if we have not accounted sufficiently for both Thorne and Anya over the last couple of years.  

29 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

If there are any losses they can only relate to Huddlestone, Thorne, Davies and Anya, and l would be staggered if we have not accounted sufficiently for both Thorne and Anya over the last couple of years.  

I wouldn't be so sure. We had to give Butterfield and Johnson extensions last season solely to push losses into the 19-20 accounts.

Just now, therealhantsram said:

I wouldn't be so sure. We had to give Butterfield and Johnson extensions last season solely to push losses into the 19-20 accounts.

Yep, and this is why I expect Bogle to be sold soon. We have to release another crop of players next summer and as a academy product he is pretty much the only one to have real value regarding the FFP. Okay, Lowe would be another one but can't see high bid coming for him.

16 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Never understood the love for Bennett, awful 1st touch, cant shoot, cant head the ball, no vision, no footballing brain. Has a bit of energy but a truly awful footballer. Get rid asap to anyone who’ll have him 

With a summary like that I can’t see a queue forming!

Archived