Renew or release

Ilsonram12

31 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Appreciate that happens quite often, though you would have to consider what you shell out over a year compared to what you may get transfer wise.

It was more the absurdity of a player arriving for training, confirming a contract was ready to be signed that day. This was followed by a nice interview about Lampard and looking forward to the season with Lampard or without . Next morning holding a Blackburn shirt . P**S up and brewery spring to mind.

I'm pretty sure Johnson only signed to move the hit from his release into a different year for P&S reasons.

Not comparable at all with Phil Jones, who probably will command a decent fee if he leaves Man Utd.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

I think he was up until Joinersgate and then he seemed to find himself out of the team. Not sure if that was just coincidence or not though. I've just checked and he did start yesterday so he may be back in favour. He's certainly mentally resilient. I thought his Derby career was over part way through last season when Lampard ostracized him for biting Joe Allen. We could certainly do with a few players with his attitude at the moment. 

Bradley Dack out for a year so he will playing more than likely 

34 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I'm pretty sure Johnson only signed to move the hit from his release into a different year for P&S reasons.

Not comparable at all with Phil Jones, who probably will command a decent fee if he leaves Man Utd.

As far as I know the covering contract was never signed . Just on the table .

3 hours ago, Ilsonram12 said:

Out of the current Derby loanees and contract expires would you like any of them to be signed on a permanent/renewed for next season?

- Jamie Paterson (28) get rid
- Kieran Dowell (22) ditto
- Ben Hamer (32) if short and cheap deal
- Matthew Clarke (23) - injured so have to see how comes back
- Chris Martin (31) - time to move on
- Tom Huddlestone (32) ditto

- Mason Bennett (23) - ditto
- Craig Forsyth (30) - ditto
- Curtis Davies (34) - ditto
- Ikechi Anya (31) - ditto
- George Thorne (26) - dotti

None from me

So out of that Hamer if he's cheap.

Not sure why anyone would want to keep Bennett? I wouldnt want him in the squad if we were relegated to League 1 let alone in the Champ, absolute bang average. 

How does it work in terms of him coming through the academy, do we still get a fee? Do we need to have offered him a new deal to get a fee?

As for the rest, id gladly take Clarke back on loan. Hamer if he was cheap enough and then maybe Martin but he would need a decent 2nd half of the season. The others need to go, just to free up squad space & wages for Cocu to bring in who he wants.

4 hours ago, Ilsonram12 said:

Out of the current Derby loanees and contract expires would you like any of them to be signed on a permanent/renewed for next season?

- Jamie Paterson (28)
- Kieran Dowell (22)
- Ben Hamer (32)
- Matthew Clarke (23)
- Chris Martin (31)
- Tom Huddlestone (32)
- Mason Bennett (23)
- Craig Forsyth (30)
- Curtis Davies (34)
- Ikechi Anya (31)
- George Thorne (26)

None from me

When you look at that list, very underwhelming. I wouldn't think any of those mentioned are worth retaining. 

12 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

I know this is meant to be a bit of fun but I hate fun so I’ll point out the sublimely feckin obvious instead. 

FTFY

On thread, (I’m quite partial to fun) Hamer is improving with games under his belt and offers able cover. 

Clarke was returning to form when he picked up his injury. Fit and in form, the man’s a beast and might be better value now. He’s also young enough to improve considerably. 

Martin has looked good even in a poor team and remains the most instinctive player at the club. As such, a single year extension for each might make sense if the numbers are reasonable. 

Mason is a tricky one. He’s a trier and has some ability but his end-product falls below the standard we need to really progress and he’s as dumb as a house brick, as recently evidenced. I can’t help but like the lad but my gut feeling would be to release him all the same. 

Fozzy looked awesome on his return but with injuries he’s been massively overworked and can barely lift a leg. He looks shot to pieces and completely out of form. Gutted for the lad but in a brutal world, he’s too much of a risk for me.

Huddz and George are reluctantly passed over with their best days behind them. As per Fozzy, I’m gutted for George. The lad was a Rolls Royce. Again as with Fozzy, they can leave with my gratitude and best wishes. I’ll miss them all.

The remainder are no-brainers. I’ve no real affinity for any of them nor do I believe they offer anything to help drive us forward. Dowell does my swede as he has loads of technical ability but can’t show it. He lacks heart for me and we need fighters not quitters. Along with all the others he can go, no bother. 

9 hours ago, Van Cone De Head said:

Renew or Release!

Sounds like a crap game show,can we make it like the Running Man.

Half of em cant run.....be crap that would ?

under current roulette team selection it matters little whether then are included in the weekly draw for a starting place or not.

If Cocu decides on a system and then looks at his squad against it, I'd think that there is the remote chance that he might want a squad for 1 year that includes

Clarke, Martin and Hamer

of which, Clarke might be a starter

As there is no sign that Cocu intends to choose a system and play it, he may as well ditch the lot and make some more random picks

12 hours ago, WHAT DO I GET said:

Agreed none of these and you can the following to the list for  fee if possible.

Carson and Keogh (who in effect have already departed)

Jozefsoon, Marriott ,Roos and Evans.

Also possibles Waghorn,, Malone and Holmes.

I wouldn't baulk at any of the 19 providing we get a total squad of around 28 with the youngsters who fit PC's plans and no one over 27 (other than Rooney).

Priorities for the first eleven in order would be:

1 Fast tall No 9 

2and3 Two ball playing centre backs

4 Goalkeeper preferably up and coming

5 Quick right sided midfielder 

6 Ball winning box to box. in the middle of the park.

Just hope Santa brings us some late Chrimbo Presents

Christ...if Mel feels suicidal with the current situation, best he doesn't read this! 

Hard to disagree tbh with lots of it! 

Partly why I am staunchly Cocu IN. He has been handed an absolute mess. Totally hidden by the loans from last year who carried the team. Lots of people were commenting all along how Rowett bought in old players and then Lampard papered over the cracks with players too good for us who then left. What we are left with is what we could really have expected. 

Am I also right in thinking Lawrence wasn't mentioned in the original list!!? He could be added for me too. 

I would just give Clarke another go... He had something before he went off the boil. 

20 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Christ...if Mel feels suicidal with the current situation, best he doesn't read this! 

Hard to disagree tbh with lots of it! 

Partly why I am staunchly Cocu IN. He has been handed an absolute mess. Totally hidden by the loans from last year who carried the team. Lots of people were commenting all along how Rowett bought in old players and then Lampard papered over the cracks with players too good for us who then left. What we are left with is what we could really have expected. 

Am I also right in thinking Lawrence wasn't mentioned in the original list!!? He could be added for me too. 

I would just give Clarke another go... He had something before he went off the boil. 

Really aren't saying we should do the lot, more saying we should if we could. I still think the ones who's contract will be finished should go as most of them are on big money and this should free up cash for purchases and incentives for the youth. The squad is over done with numbers and is unbalanced by the eg we don't have enough true centre backs but plenty of reasonable full backs I think we are running a squad of 32 at the moment which is far too large. I have said elsewhere on the forum that Cocu absolutely creamed the squad at PSV when he took it over and this is what he needs to do now here. Whether he can or be allowed to is a different matter. 

Paterson and Dowell can go back in Jan, for me. 1 has been replaced by Rooney, the other will hopefully be replaced by an actual winger, even if that is a loan (Sinclair?).

Hamer and Clarke I'd keep until the end of the season, hopefully both as back-up. I'd assume our no.1 target is a CB this window and there must be better options at GK available - Begovic keeps being linked but probably too pricey.

Davies, Huddlestone and Martin, on the right deal, provides an element of continuity and experience through the spine, so a 1 year deal to each is possible.  I don't think we can change 8,9 or10 players at a time and expect the team to gel.

The rest can go.  Should free up plenty of wages :Anya, Thorne, Forsyth not cheap, lower deals for Davies, Huddlestone and Martin- especially as Keogh's (alleged) £23k per week is also gone.

Next two windows should provide GK, 2xCB, 2xWingers, CF.  Sorted.

Archived