Filip Benkovic

Heisenberg

Great signing if we pull it off - with the caution that the issue with signing players on loan who are too good for this league is being unable to directly replace them when they go home. Which is the entire point of why we’re struggling in the first place.

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks a decent player. My main question is why sign a loan player in January that we have no chance of signing permanently?  New investors so minted we can sign him and have found a way around FFP? Really panicking that we're in danger of going down? The club believes we have a shot a 6th place?

If Percy is reporting it, it'll be more than speculation. What are the club up to?

3 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Great signing if we pull it off - with the caution that the issue with signing players on loan who are too good for this league is being unable to directly replace them when they go home. Which is the entire point of why we’re struggling in the first place.

Means we dont overpay on a long term signing though, also gives Cocu an extra few months to identify targets for the summer plus there may be some free's in the summer. We only have Davies & Clarke and neither of them will be with us next season as it stands so we will have no centre backs for next season.

1 minute ago, CornwallRam said:

Looks a decent player. My main question is why sign a loan player in January that we have no chance of signing permanently?  New investors so minted we can sign him and have found a way around FFP? Really panicking that we're in danger of going down? The club believes we have a shot a 6th place?

If Percy is reporting it, it'll be more than speculation. What are the club up to?

Would you rather us pay over the odds because its Jan & we have new investors? 

2 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Would you rather us pay over the odds because its Jan & we have new investors? 

I'm not implying any criticism. It's just that signing loanees without the possibility of making them permanent isn't part of a long term squad rebuild and very likely has a significant cost. It doesn't make sense for 'mid table' club. Logically, it's either a bit of panic or a sign of ambition. 

...actually, I was just about to hit send and thought of a possible reason - to stop the fall in attendances and keep season ticket sales up. If we have a decent end to the season, everyone will be positive about next term. 

20 minutes ago, David said:

Just seen this cycle before, everyone gets excited over a potential signing, hundreds of pages asking if they have signed yet.....6 months later when they haven’t lived up to the expectation of some built up, they start to moan about our recruitment team like we’re the only club not to sign XYZ instead.

.....why not sign Dino Peric instead?

18 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I'm not implying any criticism. It's just that signing loanees without the possibility of making them permanent isn't part of a long term squad rebuild and very likely has a significant cost. It doesn't make sense for 'mid table' club. Logically, it's either a bit of panic or a sign of ambition. 

...actually, I was just about to hit send and thought of a possible reason - to stop the fall in attendances and keep season ticket sales up. If we have a decent end to the season, everyone will be positive about next term. 

We need to bring in some quality to ensure we don't become a relegation-threatened club....

5 minutes ago, Squid said:

Wishful thinking, however, what if we're bring in Benkovic til the end of the season, also sign Dickie but loan him back for the remainder of the season (could potentially bring the price down a bit, plus, it keeps Oxford happy).......

Let's buy Dickie and play him alongside Benkovic and bench the current crop. 

Get Cosgrove if we can (still not sure he would be a worldie) and a battling mobile midfield player and we might haul ourselves up using the youth players. 

Sell Bogle, Lawrence and Waghorn to fund it. 

11 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Let's buy Dickie and play him alongside Benkovic and bench the current crop. 

Get Cosgrove if we can (still not sure he would be a worldie) and a battling mobile midfield player and we might haul ourselves up using the youth players. 

Sell Bogle, Lawrence and Waghorn to fund it. 

Who would you have as captain then, as Davies would have to be dropped? (Don't say Rooney as he won't be playing 90 every week ? )

I'm on the fence about Cosgrove, He's looked good this season but they want a lot of money for him!

Who would replace Bogle? Wisdoms better suited in the centre back position in my opinion...

I agree Waghorn and Lawrence should be sold, but who would actually buy them?

Just now, Sparkle said:

Whoever we sign in whatever position they ultimately have to be better than what we currently have available or there is no point 

Anyone then 

6 minutes ago, Squid said:

Who would you have as captain then, as Davies would have to be dropped? (Don't say Rooney as he won't be playing 90 every week ? )

I'm on the fence about Cosgrove, He's looked good this season but they want a lot of money for him!

Who would replace Bogle? Wisdoms better suited in the centre back position in my opinion...

I agree Waghorn and Lawrence should be sold, but who would actually buy them?

It's not ideal because we are largely doing a first go at revitalising the squad. 

Wisdom will do for the rest of the season. 

I would make Martin captain as he is a strong character who expects high standards. 

I don't think we have, or will get, a good wide player. 

We should play 4-4-2 with the midfield diamond, anchored by Bielik, energy from Knight and Sibley/ newbie with Rooney playing behind Martin plus Marriott or newbie(Cosgrove?) 

Archived