Creativity level

FindernRam

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Saw an analysis yesterday that looked at the number of key passes individuals contributed in a game.

Our best player was Tom Lawrence at 1.4 per match.

Then you see that he was 41st on the Championship list!

No wonder we don't get many goals.

That is a damning view and highlights my fears

Good Stats

You only have to take a look on the pitch to see the reason, our players are scared to shoot, you can see that easily.

You can even see how annoyed Cocu gets when our players don't make/take chances and decide for the easily option of passing back.

Frustrating but its down to the players to make a change.

1 minute ago, Squid said:

You only have to take a look on the pitch to see the reason, our players are scared to shoot, you can see that easily.

Do they get near enough to the goal to shoot? 'Wildly optimistic' shots from outside the box, when a pass or taking the man on is better, are not what is required. 

20 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Lack of movement is the real killer for me. No one takes responsibility to move into a position to receive the ball where they can hurt the opposition. Everyone just stands there and expects whoever is on the ball to take the whole team on themselves.

The movement needs to be behind the opposition's defence. We don't have anyone pacy that looks to get in behind, so defenders can squeeze up on us and not worry about how much space is behind them, knowing full well we aren't going to expose it. Once we have someone that will do that, it will give more space to Martin to drop into, for Lawrence and Holmes to run into etc. 

1 minute ago, rynny said:

The movement needs to be behind the opposition's defence. We don't have anyone pacy that looks to get in behind, so defenders can squeeze up on us and not worry about how much space is behind them, knowing full well we aren't going to expose it. Once we have someone that will do that, it will give more space to Martin to drop into, for Lawrence and Holmes to run into etc. 

Exactly right, we very rarely see anyone get through on goal, it’s all very much shooting from congested areas at best. We need runs from the midfield as well. That one move against Preston showed it perfectly, Holmes laying it off to Martin, then running behind him to receive it again and shoot. But it happens so very rarely. We need to see more of that sort of pass and move play.

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

Exactly right, we very rarely see anyone get through on goal, it’s all very much shooting from congested areas at best. We need runs from the midfield as well. That one move against Preston showed it perfectly, Holmes laying it off to Martin, then running behind him to receive it again and shoot. But it happens so very rarely. We need to see more of that sort of pass and move play.

Its what made us so good for 18 months under Mac, you had Russell, Ward, Ibe and Bamford from the wings that would look to exploit the space then Bryson and Hendrick through the middle. 

It is one of the issues with the injuries and Holmes dropping deeper, Martin is isolated even more. Lawrence and Waghorn didn't get close enough to him on Saturday. 

GIF by moodman

2 minutes ago, rynny said:

Its what made us so good for 18 months under Mac, you had Russell, Ward, Ibe and Bamford from the wings that would look to exploit the space then Bryson and Hendrick through the middle. 

It is one of the issues with the injuries and Holmes dropping deeper, Martin is isolated even more. Lawrence and Waghorn didn't get close enough to him on Saturday. 

GIF by moodman

You watch pretty much any good team and it’s what they do, intelligent movement is probably the most important part of any successful team. It’s the attitude that your job isn’t done when you’ve passed the ball on. Everyone has to keep moving into space, and if the ball is played quickly enough, there’s no way opposition defences can cope with the speed of movement.

At the moment we don’t seem to have that attitude. Better attacking personnel would help, but as you say Lawrence a and a Waghorn are leaving Martin isolated and they could be doing so much more to help. Cocu needs to start working on practicing the right movements to make in training ASAP.

14 minutes ago, rynny said:

We do have pace to get in behind from midfield. Lawrence, waghorn and holmes all have enough speed about them to get in Behind... certainly no less so than bryson back in the day .... there is one fundamental difference  

Bravery and desire 

Nigel clough spoke about it when he was here 

as a midfielder to keep making that run past the front man it takes hunger, desire and bravery 

bryson had it in abundance ... hence why he made a name for himself getting the goals that he did, and of course our front man actually had support around him.

I watched on Saturday at the lack of numbers getting into the box never mind trying to run past Martin and make things happen 

amongst many things it’s one of my biggest concerns u don’t score goals with just the odd one or two players in the box 

The whole thing imo is frankly concerning 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Do they get near enough to the goal to shoot? 'Wildly optimistic' shots from outside the box, when a pass or taking the man on is better, are not what is required. 

Yes but I'd rather see us attempt a shot from 20 yards out rather than passing backwards.

I'm sure the manager would rather see that too.

Part of the reason the forward players have stopped making the runs in behind is that they never receive the ball.

When Marriott players he runs the line then spins in behind and the ball is played square or back.You can see his frustration and the same with Waghorn and Lawrence if you talk to past players they will tell you the eventually you stop making those runs because are wasting energy.

34 minutes ago, Squid said:

Yes but I'd rather see us attempt a shot from 20 yards out rather than passing backwards.

I'm sure the manager would rather see that too.

I wouldn't, it's often the wrong decision and made because it's easier than looking for a 'difficult' pass or run at the man.

I am surprised it is so high seen as he hides most of the time. 
when he does get it he spends half his time with his head down not looking for a pass. 

Our midfield is so frustrating to watch at the moment. Lawrence playing at trying, Holmes running but with zero end product and often getting knocked off the ball, Waghorn with the control of a brick wall, Evans dropping behind the centre half’s before looking up......no wonder we have no fluidity or creativity  in the team! 

Archived