Goals. Where will they come from?

BondJovi

We are on average this season creating more than chances than last season, but clearly failing to take them. So who will get the goals? Of who has been available- 

Martin- Hasn't been a 20 goal a season player for several seasons. Maybe 10 is a realistic figure.

Waghorn- Never been prolific in this league, but you may expect 10-15

Marriott - 1 goal in 30 league appearances, albeit most as a sub but that is still unacceptable. At the moment you'd be amazed if he reached 5.

Lawrence - Already his best scoring season for us. If he he turns around his form then maybe up to 10.

Evans - Nevermind.

Bielik - Not really his role.

Holmes - Just does not look like he knows how to score.

Knight - I reckon there are goals there.

Jozefzoon- Just not happening for him. 

Dowell- Dreadful

Bennett- injured Not a goalscorer.

Huddlestone - The odd goal a season player.

Shinnie - Currently injured but could add a bit more of a goal threat.

Whittaker - Asking a lot at his age.

A team low confidence with no goal threat is worrying thing. I thought at the start of the season we had a good enough front line, but the number of chances missed alarms and the total lack of any creativity makes it even worse.

January cannot come soon enough.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

We are on average this season creating more than chances than last season, but clearly failing to take them. So who will get the goals? Of who has been available- 

Martin- Hasn't been a 20 goal a season player for several seasons. Maybe 10 is a realistic figure.

Waghorn- Never been prolific in this league, but you may expect 10-15

Marriott - 1 goal in 30 league appearances, albeit most as a sub but that is still unacceptable. At the moment you'd be amazed if he reached 5.

Lawrence - Already his best scoring season for us. If he he turns around his form then maybe up to 10.

Evans - Nevermind.

Bielik - Not really his role.

Holmes - Just does not look like he knows how to score.

Knight - I reckon there are goals there.

Jozefzoon- Just not happening for him. 

Dowell- Dreadful

Bennett- injured Not a goalscorer.

Huddlestone - The odd goal a season player.

Shinnie - Currently injured but could add a bit more of a goal threat.

Whittaker - Asking a lot at his age.

A team low confidence with no goal threat is worrying thing. I thought at the start of the season we had a good enough front line, but the number of chances missed alarms and the total lack of any creativity makes it even worse.

January cannot come soon enough.

Yep, we have so few players in our squad with any history of scoring goals at Championship level or equivalent.

I wonder (although it would be far, far, far too much work to find out) what you'd find if you tallied up the number of Championship goals scored by members of our squad against other squads, especially from midfield

I think Marriott is a very capable finisher. But he's a poacher and we don't create chances in the area. We shoot pointlessly from distance or we don't shoot. The other thing about Marriott is that he's totally unreliable. Forget him being a first choice striker. He's not even a choice. He's Kris Commons II. 

Martin has never been that striker. He's always been a playmaker first and then he just fed off the amount of pressure the team would build in the final third. If anyone can find a stat that shows possession and accuracy in the final third then I would expect Derby to be one of the lowest. Cocu might promote patient football but it doesn't happen in the final third. It's total opportunist crap. Shoot on sight, cross on sight... just no thought or skill in any of it. 

Waghorn. His first touch is Connor Sammon level. Whatever else he is, his first touch is waaaay below standard. 

Cocu has 3 different options to build an attack around. But I don't see how the team even begins to serve any of them. His attacking midfield and wingers... what do they do? Does anyone know what they do in a game? I see them play but it's a series of cameo efforts. A trick here or a stepover there. Maybe a 25 yard shot that definitely won't ever go in. Ever. 

I mean we talk a lot on here about DM's a defensive errors. But I think part of the reason might be because nobody can remember any contribution from an attacking midfielder. And it's so hard to say if they've done anything wrong because do we even know what it is that they are supposed to do? 

We knew what Bryson was used for, we knew what Hughes was for, we knew what Mount did, we even knew what Ward and Russell would do. 

Imagine being a striker for Derby. What kind of ball should you be expecting? Are you supposed to be short or long? Come deep or stretch play? 

The most imaginative thing you see from Derby is a cross. 

Oh, and no Tom Lawrence. You haven't got a good shot from range. Yes, I do remember that goal you scored in 1996 from 25 yards. I remember it because it was the last time one of your pointless greedy shots surprised me. 

He needs to stick with one up top & give them a run of 7 or 8 games. Not bothered if its Martin, waggy or marriott. Pick one & start them as the number 9. Let them have a run to find form. No wonder we don't score with all the messing about. 

53 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

He needs to stick with one up top & give them a run of 7 or 8 games. Not bothered if its Martin, waggy or marriott. Pick one & start them as the number 9. Let them have a run to find form. No wonder we don't score with all the messing about. 

Who will create for them?

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

I think Marriott is a very capable finisher. But he's a poacher and we don't create chances in the area. We shoot pointlessly from distance or we don't shoot. The other thing about Marriott is that he's totally unreliable. Forget him being a first choice striker. He's not even a choice. He's Kris Commons II. 

I liked kris commons.

Only 2 teams in the division have scored less than we have this season (Middlesbrough & Wigan). I think we are pretty toothless at times, especially away.    

I really don’t know why he changed formation/tactics after the Preston match or why we leave it until the last 10 minutes to have a go at teams. We don’t even look like scoring at the moment. Our tactics are too negative. 

I think it’s clear that most of our issues this season stem from midfield. When the back four have the ball there’s no movement in front of them, when we get the ball for a counter our midfield don’t drive and they can’t seem to find the final ball. The times we have looked creative we had Lawrence on form behind the front two but in order for that to work we needed Shinnie and Bielik behind them. Our midfield options now are so limited due to injuries and lack of good recruitment that we can’t dominate a game or create enough and we won’t until they return to fitness or we recruit better in Jan.

Archived