Rob Dickie - signed for QPR

Fraser_23

3 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

I don't necessarily disagree with your assessment of this player - my point really was about how easy it is for fans to say 'let's gamble a few million' when it's someone else's dosh. More than ever before we need to be as certain as we can be in this minefield of football transfers that we get value for money so I'm hoping that Cocu is totally involved in the process and that the final decisions on who we bring in are his and not down to the 'recruitment team'.

Yes mate deffo.

We need to make sure that we use this incoming investment effectively rather than just shoot the money up the wall at random players who haven't been properly researched.

I'm sure he will be, I'm sure he's begging for money to spend, this teams a shambles and the last thing we need is more shambles.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

I don't necessarily disagree with your assessment of this player - my point really was about how easy it is for fans to say 'let's gamble a few million' when it's someone else's dosh. More than ever before we need to be as certain as we can be in this minefield of football transfers that we get value for money so I'm hoping that Cocu is totally involved in the process and that the final decisions on who we bring in are his and not down to the 'recruitment team'.

As with a lot of recruitment situations, it's much about the character as the skills they possess. 

We have a few who can play but who go all wobbly when the opposition says 'boo! '

That's what management is about. Can this character hack it in the heat of battle?

Too many times we look at stats or YouTube and make snap decisions on what we see. 

I want to see eleven players absolutely committed to working hard for their teammates. 

If Dickie has that ethic (and a team has made him captain) I would feel happy having him on board. 

Oxford fan here (live in Derby) . Rob Dickie isn't our regular captain but was last night. Karl Robinson has made a habit of making our young talents captain for one off games, he sees it as part of their development and also a test to see where they're actually at. Shandon Baptiste v Man City in the efl Cup last season, Nico Jones at 17 v Crawley in the efl trophy this season and now Rob Dickie v Man City last night. 

As for Dickie himself, he has come on leaps and bounds in 2019. We paid money for him in January 18 and he got off to a shaky start. But has practically been ever present August 18 and this season has emerged as a real real asset. I've no idea what we would value him at but we do have history of getting good money for players - Kemar Roofe at 3m, John Lundstram 1m, Ryan Ledson 1m, Marvin Johnson 2m - to name a few in recent seasons. I'd guess Clarke and Liam Lindsay are good benchmarks and knowing how the market moves, you'd have to be looking above their prices. We'd need to go out and get a replacement so won't be accepting the first offer. 

• 3 weeks later...

Wonder if this news opens the Door for us to get Dickie !

”ATKINSON JOINS OXFORD

Oxford have announced the signing of central defender Rob Atkinson from Eastleigh for an undisclosed fee.

Atkinson has signed a three-and-a-half year deal at the Kassam Stadium.”

No smoke without fire.

Regards

Gangway D from the terrace

Would think Dickie will be signed by someone in the championship, so they’re probably shopping for his replacement. Whether that’ll be us I’m not no sure, I get the feeling he’s an option but he’s not our first choice. I reckon we really want Benkovic and are prepared to wait a little longer to get him, so let’s hope we do.

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

Would think Dickie will be signed by someone in the championship, so they’re probably shopping for his replacement. Whether that’ll be us I’m not no sure, I get the feeling he’s an option but he’s not our first choice. I reckon we really want Benkovic and are prepared to wait a little longer to get him, so let’s hope we do.

I reckon we will wait for Benkovic and it will be a loan view to permanant. If we miss out on him then I don’t think we will see a CB come in think cocu will utilise Bielik there

On 18/12/2019 at 12:00, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

That applies perfectly to Fikayo Tomori, but it was ducking entertaining to watch him recover brilliantly nine times out of ten.

Loved Maldini. Legend, in the pantheon of greats....  Tomori... oh those rescue tackles, that was fun.

i once got some freebie tickets to old Trafford .. right up in the gods behind the goal back row  in the Northstand. I might as well have been overflying the ground in a helicopter but for the first time in my life I saw defenders really reading a game. Vidic moving two passes before where the ball was going to be. It’s an art at that level. 

4 hours ago, GangwayD said:

Wonder if this news opens the Door for us to get Dickie !

”ATKINSON JOINS OXFORD

Oxford have announced the signing of central defender Rob Atkinson from Eastleigh for an undisclosed fee.

Atkinson has signed a three-and-a-half year deal at the Kassam Stadium.”

No smoke without fire.

Regards

Gangway D from the terrace

Why do you sign off every post?

Warmest regards

PMC, Chilwell

3 hours ago, JayRam1 said:

I reckon we will wait for Benkovic and it will be a loan view to permanant. If we miss out on him then I don’t think we will see a CB come in think cocu will utilise Bielik there

I think there’s still very much a chance of getting him, so we’ll wait for him to get fit if whatever and then hopefully get the deal done. Not 100% sure they’ll be a view to a perm though, I think it’s possible, but Leicester may see him in their plans for next season.

So think whichever way up we’ll see a centre half come in. Bielik could potentially feature there, but I think either way if we’re lacking players in that position, and by all accounts it appears to be our number 1 priority to get done ASAP. If we don’t sign any CB then something has gone drastically wrong. If we can’t get Benkovic which appears a possibility, then I’m sure we’ll move for Carter- Vickers instead.

3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

If we can’t get Benkovic which appears a possibility, then I’m sure we’ll move for Carter- Vickers instead.

Why not this Dickie chap? Seems to fit the requirements.... Not seem him play myself but others seem to rate him and, presumably, available on a permanent.

I'd like an attempt to get Clarke. He's shown enough already. Get him now before Brighton sell the others that they have and before his price goes up following the successful second half of our season.

1 minute ago, IslandExile said:

Why not this Dickie chap? Seems to fit the requirements.... Not seem him play myself but others seem to rate him and, presumably, available on a permanent.

I'd like an attempt to get Clarke. He's shown enough already. Get him now before Brighton sell the others that they have and before his price goes up following the successful second half of our season.

Think he’ll be an option as well, but we appear as skint as a student a day before the loan drops at the moment, so can’t see us spending any cash unless we really run out of Options. Think we’ll look at loans first and foremost, Dickie would be a permanent as you say.

Id also like us to sign Clarke if we can in the summer. I doubt Brighton would agree anything now without having seen the second half of his loan, but we really need options at CB and Clarke appears to be a decent player. Brighton may want him back in their first team next season though. Probably about 50/50 as to whether a perm will be an option.

Why would Brighton sell Clarke? They bought him last summer as a young, promising CB and gave him a long contract. They most likely have a long term plan for him as last season he was playing League One and now step higher with us. If he can step up, which he seems to be able to, maybe the next step is Premier League or another season long loan at Championship to gain more experience. As such, he is still relatively young as CB and is having some positioning issues which are costly at this level, never mind Premier League.

If we don't pay more than Brighton did, I see our chances to sign him pretty close to zero. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived