Jayden Bogle - Left for Sheffield United

Rev

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, cheron85 said:

Ask @Andrew3000 ? - When your team is struggling it's usually better to improve as many weak links as possible - So might be worth sacrificing a star in order to do that

Well, I was referring to the idea that the best way to build a successful team is to address your weak links rather than to spend the budget on upgrading your best player.  Selling a star to address weak links is different! @cheron85 shares my interest in this 'weak link theory but he's in a better position to judge having read 'the numbers game'.  

14 hours ago, Andrew3000 said:

Well, I was referring to the idea that the best way to build a successful team is to address your weak links rather than to spend the budget on upgrading your best player.  Selling a star to address weak links is different! @cheron85 shares my interest in this 'weak link theory but he's in a better position to judge having read 'the numbers game'.  

Haha don't worry - I agree with you that we don't want to sacrifice our star players unless we absolutely have to - But in the days of FFP it might allow us to strengthen our weak areas more than the relative loss of Bogle

If we judge him as a RB I'd say he's a "9/10" championship level RB - And I'd argue that Wisdom is a "7-8/10" RB - So not a huge loss in quality

If we could bring in 3-4 "7/10" players for the value of Bogle I think it might be worth it - If we have a terrible backup I wouldn't do it - But Wisdom is more than capable at this level

5 hours ago, cheron85 said:

Haha don't worry - I agree with you that we don't want to sacrifice our star players unless we absolutely have to - But in the days of FFP it might allow us to strengthen our weak areas more than the relative loss of Bogle

If we judge him as a RB I'd say he's a "9/10" championship level RB - And I'd argue that Wisdom is a "7-8/10" RB - So not a huge loss in quality

If we could bring in 3-4 "7/10" players for the value of Bogle I think it might be worth it - If we have a terrible backup I wouldn't do it - But Wisdom is more than capable at this level

I've read this sort of thing so many times in the past, in more recent times about players like Hughes. We are still mediocre!

I am a big fan of Bogle. Also a big fan of developing our young players and building the team around them and their potential.

However.

I am half remembering a Jim Smith quote.  When he was linked with a very pricey right back, he replied that your most valuable player shouldn't be a fullback.

I accept this situation is reversed but, if Bogle is (one of) our most valuable player, shouldn't we cash in and invest in a more critical area(s).

CB, creative midfielder, proper winger?

53 minutes ago, KCG said:

I've read this sort of thing so many times in the past, in more recent times about players like Hughes. We are still mediocre!

Yeh but we only got £4m for Hughes which wasn't enough to fund anyone

However I'd see a Bogle fee as potentially worthwhile if we could do it like last season - I think Vydra for Waggers, Marriott and Holmes was a good swap

On 12/12/2019 at 15:12, U.M. said:

I am a big fan of Bogle. Also a big fan of developing our young players and building the team around them and their potential.

However.

I am half remembering a Jim Smith quote.  When he was linked with a very pricey right back, he replied that your most valuable player shouldn't be a fullback.

I accept this situation is reversed but, if Bogle is (one of) our most valuable player, shouldn't we cash in and invest in a more critical area(s).

CB, creative midfielder, proper winger?

We’ll only waste the money.

I've gotta feeling that Bogle is gonna be sold now. Cocu has to get so many players in that need for money is obvious.

Additionally, Bogle doesn't seem to progress (at least in this league/under this management) much either, so could be closing to peak value now. Luckily, Wisdom is back so the RB situation is not hopeless.

Hmmm been wondering why he's been pulling out of easy foot races in anticipation of a tackle and not breaking his neck to get down the wing.... could be they're trying to protect him for a big move

Archived