Cocu Number Crunching

Jonesy90

A fact before I roll into the rationale...

When Derby’s starting eleven (and used subs) include Cocu signings, Derby are more likely to lose.

The average Cocu signings of the six league games we have won is 18%.

the average Cocu signings of a random six league games we have lost is 27%.

Why is Cocu struggling to integrate the players he has bought in?

Why did the team arguably put in their best performance (1-0 vs Preston) when the team included just 1 Cocu signing?

Whatever happens this January transfer window, Cocu has to get the signings right and make sure they make an impact.

(Things to note - players were categorised as ‘signed by’ managers if they were bought or made their debut under them.)

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Jonesy90 said:

A fact before I roll into the rationale...

When Derby’s starting eleven (and used subs) include Cocu signings, Derby are more likely to lose.

The average Cocu signings of the six league games we have won is 18%.

the average Cocu signings of a random six league games we have lost is 27%.

Why is Cocu struggling to integrate the players he has bought in?

Why did the team arguably put in their best performance (1-0 vs Preston) when the team included just 1 Cocu signing?

Whatever happens this January transfer window, Cocu has to get the signings right and make sure they make an impact.

(Things to note - players were categorised as ‘signed by’ managers if they were bought or made their debut under them.)

You need to show your working out to show you've got a point.

All these means is that the summer signings were poo. That’s a criticism to be levelled at the recruitment team, not Cocu. Doesn’t surprise me at all those statistics, because we brought in some right poo last window. I mean we’re normally bad in the market, but last Summer was extra special, absolute shocker. It’s not that Cocus struggling to integrate them, they’re just poo. The only one who probably deserves more game time is Paterson for me, I quite rate him. The rest have had their chances and shown duck all. 

I don’t know how we do it, but we need to improve our incompetency in the market. The team seems to get worse every season and we need to arrest that slide, starting in January when we really need some quality.

This is a confusing thread. 

Cocu's only made one proper signing - Bielik, who's been involved in everything we've done well. And, despite some rumblings against him, has been one of our best players overall this season.

His other signings are all loans that were brought it to add depth after deals for his/our actual targets couldn't get done; and only play because of injuries to/lack of form of equal or superior players - so of course we're more likely to lose with them in the team.

Bizarre. 

10 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

All these means is that the summer signings were poo. That’s a criticism to be levelled at the recruitment team, not Cocu. Doesn’t surprise me at all those statistics, because we brought in some right poo last window. I mean we’re normally bad in the market, but last Summer was extra special, absolute shocker. It’s not that Cocus struggling to integrate them, they’re just poo. The only one who probably deserves more game time is Paterson for me, I quite rate him. The rest have had their chances and shown duck all. 

I don’t know how we do it, but we need to improve our incompetency in the market. The team seems to get worse every season and we need to arrest that slide, starting in January when we really need some quality.

Good post and glad to see something a bit more rational, if not massively positive, after how you felt yesterday (I'm not positive about our current situation, just trying to understand and find reasons for it), it's good that you're taking into consideration that some things are beyond Cocu's control. I don't mean that as patronising as it sounds.

I'd have to disagree about Paterson just because he's one of those players I was never worried about us coming up against. He's the definition of a mid table Championship player, IMO. Looks a threat but never really is one.

7 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Good post and glad to see something a bit more rational, if not massively positive, after how you felt yesterday (I'm not positive about our current situation, just trying to understand and find reasons for it), it's good that you're taking into consideration that some things are beyond Cocu's control. I don't mean that as patronising as it sounds.

I'd have to disagree about Paterson just because he's one of those players I was never worried about us coming up against. He's the definition of a mid table Championship player, IMO. Looks a threat but never really is one.

I still maintain my views on Cocu, but I’d never put the signings on him. That poo ain’t his fault and it has made his job harder. I did try to acknowledge that in a couple of other posts I’ve made, but perhaps it got a bit lost! Expectations have to be lowered because of the quality of the squad, but we should still be doing a bit better than we are right now Imho.

On Paterson, I agree he’s not a hugely direct “threat”. But I think he’s quite a neat player, who offers a fair bit more in general play than some of our other players (Dowell for example, who’s the definition of a mid table league one player!). He’s certainly no world beater, but he’s fairly decent and I’d be looking to use him in centre mid myself. Mid table standard is about the best we have there!

There was less than a month between Cocu joining and us announcing the signing of Bielik. I dont know to what extent you can call any of this seasons transfers so far "Cocus signings". If he managed to assess the squad and its weaknesses in that time, identified defensive mid as a target, negotiated the deal and then signed him in less than amonth id be extremely impressed. 

Archived