Smart (?!) tv help. Airplay?

RoyMac5

Okay this is a bit beyond my knowledge base. We've just updated our really old non-smart tv to a Samsung Q80R smart tv. So I've got an iPad and a phone and a laptop and now a smart tv...how do I/can I watch RamsTV on the new tv? It's got Apple Airplay apparently but what is that!?! Lol.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Okay this is a bit beyond my knowledge base. We've just updated our really old non-smart tv to a Samsung Q80R smart tv. So I've got an iPad and a phone and a laptop and now a smart tv...how do I/can I watch RamsTV on the new tv? It's got Apple Airplay apparently but what is that!?! Lol.

If its a smart tv, you will have a web browser, just log in on the web browser 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

EFL restrictions block AirPlay annoyingly. Your other alternative is a Lightning to HDMI adaptor for your iPad. You can use the browser on the smart TV if it comes with one but they can be a bit ropey and don’t support as many websites as you may be used to. 

5 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

EFL restrictions block AirPlay annoyingly. Your other alternative is a Lightning to HDMI adaptor for your iPad. You can use the browser on the smart TV if it comes with one but they can be a bit ropey and don’t support as many websites as you may be used to. 

Thanks. Yeah I had a quick go with the browser and it's very tricky/flaky. Could I use (if I knew how! Lol) Airplay for the U23s on RamsTV?

The Lightening to HDMI adaptor is just a lead from ipad to tv I presume? I could just do it from the laptop then instead as I've a long hdmi lead. ? 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Thanks. Yeah I had a quick go with the browser and it's very tricky/flaky. Could I use (if I knew how! Lol) Airplay for the U23s on RamsTV?

The Lightening to HDMI adaptor is just a lead from ipad to tv I presume? I could just do it from the laptop then instead as I've a long hdmi lead. ? 

I think you can for all other stuff on Rams TV just not AirPlay. Usually when you’re on a video a little rectangle with an arrow will be near the progress bar and if you click it then select your TV, it’ll automatically play. This guide from Apple will explain it more if you struggle. 

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204289

Yeah just goes into the iPad but if you’ve got your laptop then probably better just doing it from there into the TV’s HDMI. 

I’ve got a new Samsung too. There is an option to mirror the screen of your lap top. I was playing with it yesterday. 

I’m not sat in front of it right now, but I think it’s in source. 

Then if you’ve got a windows 10 lap top, you can pick the tv as a place to mirror your screen to. 

Airplay should be easy enough if you can find the button (you can see it dead easy on YouTube, if you want to check airplay works), but if the button isn’t there, then it’s been disabled on purpose and you won’t be able to do it.

you can also do airplay through a sky q box, if you have that. 

2 hours ago, ThePrisoner said:

Buy and use a Chromecast 

PC - use Chrome browser. Cast tab/browser
Phone - use Chromecast app and screen mirror

1 hour ago, ThePrisoner said:

Only audio, not video. 

Video too. I’m always watching you tube on my phone then thinking, why am I watching it on my little phone when I can send it to my tele. Press the little airplay button on the video, sky q comes up as an option, bobs your uncle. 

Or is that a bit different?

3 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Video too. I’m always watching you tube on my phone then thinking, why am I watching it on my little phone when I can send it to my tele. Press the little airplay button on the video, sky q comes up as an option, bobs your uncle. 

Sky Q has YouTube on there under apps. You can use it without having to send it from your phone.

8 hours ago, Boycie said:

You can’t watch ramstv on air play for a proper first team match. Just like you can’t airplay sky sports.

Its a bugger init.

The hdmi lead from the laptop trick does work as I know someone who does that.

Yep this is what I do. Have tried screen mirroring but find that the fast movement of football it struggles. HDMI solves that, and sooo much easier to set up.

1 minute ago, Paul71 said:

Yep this is what I do. Have tried screen mirroring but find that the fast movement of football it struggles. HDMI solves that, and sooo much easier to set up.

it's all much harder work than hard-wiring your router to your tv via ethernet and entering the URL into your browser! ? 

4 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

it's all much harder work than hard-wiring your router to your tv via ethernet and entering the URL into your browser! ? 

Must admit havent tried it, never used the browser beyond initial interest and found it cumbersome to use.

I’ve got a Samsung smart tv that i bought in an auction.

It thinks it’s in Spain. It’s an hour ahead, won’t load bbc iPlayer;  will only recognise the time zone of the Iberian peninsular or the Canary Islands. 

I daren’t press add subtitles, as I have a feeling i know what to expect.

10 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I only use screen mirroring off my phone when I'm too lazy to grab my laptop (usually if I fancy watching something off BT Sport). I can't remember having any trouble with fast movement.

For the more important games, I always use my Laptop as I find it easier to travel abroad with that than with my phone. This little button does the magic for me.
image.png.445338ba496f3c2958907a1d404405fc.png

34 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Yeah YouTube is a bit different. The YouTube app on your mobile detects you have YouTube apps on your connected devices (TVs, set top boxes etc) and pushes it to that app. You can't do the normal straight up AirPlay video unfortunately. 

Archived