Cocu in or out?

IslandExile

Cocu out?  

602 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Ramarena said:

We always talk about missing the three loans, this won’t be popular but needs to be said as he’s actually a big miss! 

We definitely miss Bradley Johnson, yes he was agricultural and was technically poor at times but he brought aggression, drive, experience and motivation to our midfield, all qualities that are crucial to success in this division!

The only players that can offer us this are Beilik but he’s been up and down which is to be expected as he still a youngster really and Shinnie who’s either been out of favour or injured most of the season.

I disagree with the missing Johnson part - we lack quality, genuine footballing ability. Johnson doesn't help that, if anything he makes things worse in that regard. We aren't lacking in aggression - we're second in the league for tackles per game and the majority of that is in midfield. 

Johnson has been left on the bench for Blackburn since mid-October and hasn't seen a minute since - 7 games - Blackburn have won 5 of those 7 games. He's started 10 games since going there and they've won 3 of them. 

We don't lack effort or energy. We lack quality. We miss Tomori, Keogh, Wilson and Mount.

2 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

They were all from the under 23s and under 18s, as are the players. Others are better informed to tell you what and who they were.

The progression is at the club level not narrowly focused on the first 

So players and performances that arnt managed by Cocu? The academy was doing brilliantly before Cocu came through the door. 

Straws.

IN - any thought of him getting the boot after a disrupted pre-season and one transfer window is ludicrous, short-sighted and would be a continuation of the bad decisions which have dogged us for the last 4 years. I'm confident that MM now understands the need for a period of stability, unlike some fans.

Am I happy with this season so far - no, definitely not but then I never expected this season to be much different. For me, next season will be the barometer of progress under Cocu.

In - we have a fraction of the team we had last season 

we have had some consistent and ridiculous injuries 

he needs 3 transfer windows where he picks players he wants

play to our strengths though which is Marriott with Martin starting the game.

14 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

So players and performances that arnt managed by Cocu? The academy was doing brilliantly before Cocu came through the door. 

Straws.

True. But also true that the academy staff have all pointed to Cocu's positive influence and how the players now see a path to the first team. 

I just don't see how any manager would be getting more out of this first team squad, maybe a place or two (big deal?). I'm happy to settle for a midtable finish this season because I believe there will be better times ahead - under Cocu.

I don't want short termism all the time.

7 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I disagree with the missing Johnson part - we lack quality, genuine footballing ability. Johnson doesn't help that, if anything he makes things worse in that regard. We aren't lacking in aggression - we're second in the league for tackles per game and the majority of that is in midfield. 

Johnson has been left on the bench for Blackburn since mid-October and hasn't seen a minute since - 7 games - Blackburn have won 5 of those 7 games. He's started 10 games since going there and they've won 3 of them. 

We don't lack effort or energy. We lack quality. We miss Tomori, Keogh, Wilson and Mount.

I'm not sure about the relevance of his form for Blackburn who are a different club with different tactics, style, players, fans, etc. We knew how he fitted in here his form for Blackburn does not dictate how his form would have been had he stayed here.

Ditto for the tackles stat......it's just a random stat with no real context in terms of this debate. I mentioned aggression, drive, experience and motivation, many of these things cannot be quantified in a stat. Many of us saw the effect he had on the team when he returned after his spell out, tackles per game has no bearing on any of this.

I would agree that we lack quality, but we also lack all the things mentioned above. Funny thing is Johnson should have been an easy player to replace given his lack of quality, but we don't seem to have replaced him with anyone good enough!

Just now, IslandExile said:

True. But also true that the academy staff have all pointed to Cocu's positive influence and how the players now see a path to the first team. 

I just don't see how any manager would be getting more out of this first team squad, maybe a place or two (big deal?). I'm happy to settle for a midtable finish this season because I believe there will be better times ahead - under Cocu.

If we just needed someone to influence the academy, we could have paid for some ex legends to come visit them every now and then.

From a managers perspective, i want someone whos going to add value to the first team. Someone with an eye for a bargain. A tactical genius. Someone who gets the best out of the average player. Cocu has... a Dutch accent and seems like a nice guy to have a beer with. 

3 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Is he getting more out of Bogle and Lowe?

2 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

People. Grow the flip up.

Time. Patience. Transfer windows. Cannot build a team in half a window with little money and half a dozen good players leaving, especially when you get a batch in injuries in one department.

You don't need a fantastic team to get out of this league. You need a solid one with good management. 

I'd like to see how he copes with the Jan/Feb/March period before we open the trap door.  See how he compares to our previous and habitual "New Year slumps".  A couple of wins and the odd draw in that period, and we may have a good 'un on out hands after all!

I'm in... until April at least!  ?

3 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

From a managers perspective, i want someone whos going to add value to the first team. Someone with an eye for a bargain. A tactical genius. Someone who gets the best out of the average player.

I don't think Cocu has had chance to do that yet, do you?

He needs at least a couple of transfer windows and time to phase in the best of the youngsters.

I'm sure the changes in the lineups and formations are experiments assessing the players and systems.

It will affect the form of some. Injuries and other issues are also having their impact. No one wants to write off a season but I do think the benefit of this season is that Cocu will get a feel of what's needed.

As frustrating as that is for all of us and, hey, I'm not getting any younger.

2 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Nobody wants a merry go round of manager's.

But in my opinion this can't be the only reason to stick by him. He needs to show us what he's going to bring to this club. 

So far the only reasons to keep him that I've seen is the hope that things improve. He's already spent £8m+ on this squad and people are saying we need to give him 2 more transfer windows to buy the players he needs. Im pretty sure most managers could put together a decent championship squad for £20m.

What's he adding to DCFC? 

Archived