Genuinley interested to know the positives of Cocu at the minute?

His name in reverse is U Coc which provides some comedic value.

In all seriousness the man really does talk a good game and I really am hoping to all the gods that he comes good, but the selection of Dowell today was nothing short of baffling.

Sibley and Knight are crying out for minutes, for a manager wanting to give youth a go, for Dowell to play over these 2 when everyone knows Dowell is not the answer, i just dont get it.

Mel must surely have a few concerns with investment looming.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He seems ducking clueless right now, Dowell's inclusion today along with no Martin or Marriott and playing Malone over Lowe and 5ATB was baffling , we look like a relegation team at the moment, 1 goal scored in 3 games, 5 away losses on the bounce and some woeful football on show.

Edited by Marriot Ram99

Cocu is fine, he is a good coach but not a miracle worker, it will take time. Remember the side had the guts ripped out of it in the summer, give him a chance, we cannot keep going from Manager to Manager, system to system. We need stability and continuity. 

Apart from seeming to be a lovely chap in the Roy cropper mould,I am struggling to find many positives since Preston.

(I genuinely thought he had finally got it at that game,it was marvelous and fluid and slick but every selection and decision since then has made me doubt that)

- His work with the academy has been outstanding so far. A lot of that has been behind the scenes, which is unfortunate for us fans, but I'm sure someone like @OwenB87could attest to that. 

- He's trying to instil a long-term vision. Not something based immediate success or results. It's something that will take time. You either have to be on board with that, and commit, or you're not on board with it, which is absolutely fair enough. People were saying last season under Lampard that, due to the mass loss of players over the summer, that this would be the real transition season: yet some seem shocked that our season is playing out exactly how a transition season normally does. See Brighton in the early days of Hughton. First season of Farke at Norwich.

- He's the most successful manager (trophies wise/games won) to manage us since I've been supporting Derby (my first season was George Burley's last). That has to count for something.

- Results have been very, very mixed. I understand and appreciate that. Some games we played well enough to win and didn't. Some games we've been really poor but managed a win/got away with a draw. Other times we've been rightly punished for being absolutely awful (first Forest game, Fulham, Charlton, Blackburn). I have seen greenshoots, at times.

I am Cocu in and will be Cocu in until he's gone, I think, because I have heard things about what's going on behind the scenes at Derby and it's massively positive, especially under the circumstances (do we really appreciate the impact these incidents have had on our team spirit/other factors?)

However, I do understand and can see why fans are turning on him. Results and performances have not been good enough for a squad like this, and other managers who are very qualified for this division are currently available.

December is going to be a huge month for him. 

Brilliant,  let's get in yet another manager.  With another philosophy.  Give him the same mish mash team that has been cobbled together over the past 7 years by the same amount of managers. Give him until March/April. When it doesnt work, let's get rid of him and start again.

It is exactly the above that has us in this mess. Too many managers who were not given enough time to build their own team before getting moved on.

Cocu had no preseason due to the Lampard debacle.  Lampard only did so well because of the favours he pulled in and the loans. 

Cocu has not even had a transfer window to bring in his type of player.

The trouble is with some fans is they think Derby have a god given right to be promoted at the very first attempt. 

Edited by BathRam72
16 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

... based on what?

Thing is Roy, if you had it your way you'd have got Clough sacked inside a season. Maybe just once you should exercise some patience and see what develops after a season or two with the same coaching staff in situ. Much as I respect a lot of your opinions, you are the least patient fan on this forum and this despite knowing the damage that has been done by constantly churning over managers these last 6 years.

Saw Cocu trending on twitter earlier - and not in a positive light 😞

The footballs not been great and some of his decisions have been questionable but as a paying fan I hope (and believe he should) get at least another season.  This seasons squad isn't a patch on last seasons, I doubt anyone could do much better.

8 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

- His work with the academy has been outstanding so far. A lot of that has been behind the scenes, which is unfortunate for us fans, but I'm sure someone like @OwenB87could attest to that. 

- He's trying to instil a long-term vision. Not something based immediate success or results. It's something that will take time. You either have to be on board with that, and commit, or you're not on board with it, which is absolutely fair enough. People were saying last season under Lampard that, due to the mass loss of players over the summer, that this would be the real transition season: yet some seem shocked that our season is playing out exactly how a transition season normally does. See Brighton in the early days of Hughton. First season of Farke at Norwich.

- He's the most successful manager (trophies wise/games won) to manage us since I've been supporting Derby (my first season was George Burley's last). That has to count for something.

- Results have been very, very mixed. I understand and appreciate that. Some games we played well enough to win and didn't. Some games we've been really poor but managed a win/got away with a draw. Other times we've been rightly punished for being absolutely awful (first Forest game, Fulham, Charlton, Blackburn). I have seen greenshoots, at times.

I am Cocu in and will be Cocu in until he's gone, I think, because I have heard things about what's going on behind the scenes at Derby and it's massively positive, especially under the circumstances (do we really appreciate the impact these incidents have had on our team spirit/other factors?)

However, I do understand and can see why fans are turning on him. Results and performances have not been good enough for a squad like this, and other managers who are very qualified for this division are currently available.

December is going to be a huge month for him. 

It seems to me that he would be better suited as a director of football for the club than as a manager/coach of the first team....

We have needed a dof for a very long time but I'm concerned that cocu isn't able to combine the two effectively and whether we would be better to have someone like wassell as a coach under the dof.

I think the real issue is, it's not as if he's trying to get us to play in a way that looks promising, entertaining and cohesive, even if we lose anyway due to the wrong players in the system etc.

Even if successful eventually due to transfers and time, I think we'll have to accept that the goals goals goals of time gone by is over. It will be 1-0s all the way (when we get a win again). And I'm not afraid to say that saddens me. I do wish we had gone a different route.