Every club that’s successful will have to move backwards before moving forwards. 

Leicester, Wolves and Norwich just a few. 

Im guessing their supporters had these same discussions whilst their club went backwards. 

Could we have a more ambitious chairman, no. Could we have a more stable club, no. 

Let’s just be patient until the season ends to see where we are. I believe Cocu has everything to make us great but supporters need to be patient. 

Last season we couldn't buy a win under Frank whilst Mount was out injured, as mentioned above this squad is having to cope without all 3 of those now established premier league players, as well as squad players like Bryson and Johnson, and to add to that we are without both first team centre backs and 3 midfielders (Bielik, Shinnie and Huddlestone), is it really any wonder that we can't stick to the same formation, we can barely put out a team.

22 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

The problem is going to be attendances. I grew up having a season ticket at the BBG and missed very few games from the age of 5 to 20. Then I started working in retail, so could only get to the occasional Saturday match. I spent 12 years living in Cornwall and live games became a couple of trips a season to PP, plus random away games in the South West.

Yet in those 25 years or so of being a part time fan, I never lost my love of seeing the Rams live. It's infinitely better than watching on the TV. So as soon as I moved back to Derby, I was straight down to the ticket office buying a shiny new season ticket. I've loved being a regular again. I've missed about 3 games in 6 years. I'm still that nine year old again when the players run out. 

But yesterday, with cold mist swirling off the Derwent and making my middle aged knees ache, I really started to question why I was there. Indeed, my mate agreed that this match would be better viewed from a sofa with some cheese and wine. I suspect that I'm not the only one. 

Cocu's main threat is going to come from attendance this December. If we drop below 20k, he's toast. We simply couldn't stick within FFP at that level, so the owner will be forced to act.

Two reasons I can't see Mel acting.

1 Rooney should ensure the attendances remain fairly buoyant.

2 Cocu is on a four year deal and it would cost a fortune to get rid of him.

While I am at it, why would he want to get rid? He hasn't had any time at all. 

The Frank to Chelsea debacle hamstrung any new manager in such a short pre-season. I am sure Cocu didn't sanction many of the signings.

Give the guy some time.

How anybody can blame Cocu is beyond me.

You can only work with the tools you have been given and lets be honest, he hasn't got a lot to work with.

Lets see what he does in January to bring a couple of players in. Lets judge him on this and not the players we got in pre season. I can't see paterson or Dowell being high on the wish list of Cocu

We then need to see the window in pre season again when Cocu has been able to blend his own players with a few we already have and the academy prospects we have coming in. 

3 hours ago, CHCDerby said:

Every club that’s successful will have to move backwards before moving forwards. 

Leicester, Wolves and Norwich just a few. 

Im guessing their supporters had these same discussions whilst their club went backwards. 

Could we have a more ambitious chairman, no. Could we have a more stable club, no. 

Let’s just be patient until the season ends to see where we are. I believe Cocu has everything to make us great but supporters need to be patient. 

This is a weird way of spinning reality. Leicester, Wolves and Norwich didn't get relegated as part of a plan. They were poo, so they went down. Sure they managed to bounce back, but that has no relevance to the part when they were rubbish, sacked their manager and then bounced back after a few years. 

I Really Really Really want Cocu to do well, and i want him to have enough time to make changes to the squad. We can't judge the squad this season because of he has been put in very late with no prep. 

However in saying this, Does anyone recognize what his philosophy is ? and by that i mean tactically. I feel like he doesn't have one. There is no formation, consistency in team selection, and i personally don't see what style we are going for. 

We cant build on something that isn't there

Edited by jimbobram

Just now, jimbobram said:

I Really Really Really want Cocu to do well, and i want him to have enough time to make changes to the squad. We can't judge the squad this season because of he has been put in very late with no prep. 

However in saying this, Does anyone recognize what his philosophy is ? and by that i mean tactically. I feel like he doesn't have one. There is no formation, consistency in team selection, and i personally don't see what style we are going for. 

To be fair he's never dropped anyone after playing well. 

I get what people were saying ahead of QPR about so many of the personnel changes being needless because we played well in our last home game; but as I said then if you take that mantra you're essentially giving players a pass to be awful in away games.

Then, a huge number of his personnel changes have been enforced.

I think the shape changes are desperately trying to find avenues for our squad, that severely lacks creativity, to find ways to create something. For example, putting Bogle in the more advanced role was 100% that, in my opinion. Thinking "He's a dynamic player, maybe in a more advanced role he can help us create chances more frequently" and tbf a few times he did get involved nicely. Without Bielik though we were on a hiding to nothing, I think it could have worked well with him.

On 30/11/2019 at 20:29, Derby blood said:

Very poor today, and Roymac5 does make some very good points, I think this obsession with Mel having to use our academy in a few  years time is well off. Mel employed Cocu to develop our younger players which takes time, also Mel keep going on about we need to play a certain way is also way off, this is a hard division to get out off, and relaying on young players to get us out is a tough call. And u play to your strengths Sheffield United being a good example of this, just think who ever we had as manager would find this a tough job, give Cocu 3 more Windows to get his players in. But would not be surprised if Mel gave him this season only, then promoted Rooney to manage us, fits in with Mels idea of promoting our club, but for me we need to develop the club a little bit, and give someone time, no more short term fixes much Mel seems to like, and it's up to the manager to decide which players are ready and what our style should be not Mels, or the boo boys, who know very little about the game. 

And your a fool to think mel has any involvement in picking players. You read the papers to much mate

2 hours ago, jimbobram said:

When we've played well (for minutes at a time) it's been teamwork based - Organised and hardworking for each other at the back - Lovely neat and tidy passing moves up top - He seems to want to emphasise teamwork and team moves above anything - I assume because that way you don't rely on individual brilliance (like last year) and means you haven't got to worry as much about injuries to key players

He seems to like using fullbacks to provide the width and crossing with the more advanced 'wide' players given license to come off the line and attack the middle (hence right footed Holmes on the left and left footed Waggers on the right) - He also seems to like having deep-sitting and hard working central midfielders to provide cover for the defence through the middle

Yes we've had a lot of chopping around with formations but each of them seem to have the above at the core

5 hours ago, cheron85 said:

When we've played well (for minutes at a time) it's been teamwork based - Organised and hardworking for each other at the back - Lovely neat and tidy passing moves up top - He seems to want to emphasise teamwork and team moves above anything - I assume because that way you don't rely on individual brilliance (like last year) and means you haven't got to worry as much about injuries to key players

He seems to like using fullbacks to provide the width and crossing with the more advanced 'wide' players given license to come off the line and attack the middle (hence right footed Holmes on the left and left footed Waggers on the right) - He also seems to like having deep-sitting and hard working central midfielders to provide cover for the defence through the middle

Yes we've had a lot of chopping around with formations but each of them seem to have the above at the core

Which explains why the strikers aren’t getting much joy due to the fact the style isn’t designed to feed the striker

18 hours ago, jimbobram said:

There is no formation, consistency in team selection, and i personally don't see what style we are going for. 

Preston first half. I think that's what he's going for

23 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Preston first half. I think that's what he's going for

Surprisingly it worked well down the left flank where Bennett was causing them a lot of trouble.

We were slightly less effective when he went off and Holmes went left with waghorn coming on to play wide right with two left feet.

it might have worked better down the right if Lawrence went wide right to link with Holmes and bogle.

9EB4A10C-F7F1-41DD-89E4-8CE3586DB6A7.thumb.png.9199e930d8f8f67dc160aa28fadc2402.png

10 hours ago, jimbobram said:

Which explains why the strikers aren’t getting much joy due to the fact the style isn’t designed to feed the striker

I suppose not - I think Marriott thrives when teams play a high line as it creates loads of space in behind for him to exploit - The way we're playing forces teams back and they end up sitting deeper and deeper

Flip side being I think it's why Martin has been so pivotal in the team - He's smart enough and technical enough to provide neat link up play in and around the box for the other players coming forward and in from the sides

20 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

Two reasons I can't see Mel acting.

1 Rooney should ensure the attendances remain fairly buoyant.

2 Cocu is on a four year deal and it would cost a fortune to get rid of him.

While I am at it, why would he want to get rid? He hasn't had any time at all. 

The Frank to Chelsea debacle hamstrung any new manager in such a short pre-season. I am sure Cocu didn't sanction many of the signings.

Give the guy some time.

At the time We were repeatedly told that the Frank Lampard debacle wouldn’t effect pre season plans and preparation 

very clearly it did 

1 hour ago, NottsRam77 said:

At the time We were repeatedly told that the Frank Lampard debacle wouldn’t effect pre season plans and preparation 

very clearly it did 

Agreed. If Frank had just gone at the first calling at least Cocu would have had longer to access the squad and maybe look for (his type) of player in the summer transfer window. Rather than panic loans etc