"Steve Bloomers Watching"

REDCAR

Steve Bloomers Watching  

211 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, RedSox said:

Neil Diamonds Sweet Caroline  would get my vote! Well, it works superbly for the mighty Boston Red Sox, anyway!  

Just seems to stir a crowd really well. Not sure if another club already uses it, aside from N. Ireland   

Love it but don’t Villa sing it? The whole Villa crowd were belting something out pre-match at Wembley, I think it was this. It definitely made SBW sound a bit limp in comparison.

Just a comment on the timing - that's always going to be dodgy in a stadium because of the time it takes for the sound to travel. The North Stand will always 'sound' out of sync with South Stand because of the bounce back. In theory, if you're stood on the centre circle, it should sound perfect.

The speed of the track is easy if you listen; third verse is faster as we build to our rather limp crescendo! 

I like @uttoxram75 's suggestion as it's such an easy sing and everyone will know it.

No matter how loud we sing SBW the away fans won't have a clue!

1 hour ago, Lander said:

It’s fine but I wish they’d stop speeding it up, just start playing it a bit earlier. Ruins the whole atmosphere when everyone’s out of sync.

They speed it up because when it was played at normal speed the fans would finish the song when the recording was halfway through the final verse.

Unfortunately we're just a fairly quiet and subdued group at the moment. You could pick literally any song and the fan response would remain lackluster.

10 hours ago, REDCAR said:

Second person to suggest that! Might be on to something.

If you want an anthem for fans to sing along to then there are 3 problems with the Dam Busters.

1) There aren't a lot of words

2) The "traditional" words include strong language. We can't shield youngsters from hearing such words but do we really want to encourage our children and grandchildren from using them?

3) The words are about Leeds not Derby. I'm sure Leeds fans would be delighted.

The songs that work best are old classics and/or a little naff. For example, Mull of McIntyre, Delilah, Sweet Caroline and Hey Jude.

On that basis, I nominate the Hokey Cokey but replacing the chorus with "oh super Derby" . We could all dance along to the words.

P.s. before the barrage of ridicule arrives, my suggestion isn't a serious one.

53 minutes ago, Kinder said:

Love it but don’t Villa sing it? The whole Villa crowd were belting something out pre-match at Wembley, I think it was this. It definitely made SBW sound a bit limp in comparison.

Don't remember them singing it a Wembley, but pre-match is still a bit of a hazy memory for me, so you could be right.  I do remember one song they kept singing but it wasn't Sweet Caroline. 

41 minutes ago, RedSox said:

Don't remember them singing it a Wembley, but pre-match is still a bit of a hazy memory for me, so you could be right.  I do remember one song they kept singing but it wasn't Sweet Caroline. 

You’re right - just checked with a Villa mate and it was Hi Ho Silver Lining. They sing Sweet Caroline at the end if they’ve won. I must have been in a haze as well!! ?

I for one really like it.  But I think it needs a remix to make it a bit more uptempo.  The reason a lot of people don't sing it very passionately is because they're too busy trying to keep the clapping in time.  The way the sound travels around the stands, half the crowds out of sync with the other.  Same thing happens with the national anthem at England games, the players always seem to be of the pace...

I love it personally,the way it’s sung is usually a fair reflection on how we’re playing or the mood in general.

I love the idea of the Dambusters,can we put Steve Bloomer to it(not in a Killers/Guns and Roses way).

Could we do something better?

I’m always open to suggestions.

Sweet Caroline is a much used Aston Villa track and as such is unusable but it would have been great.

Love a good sing-song me!

I was proud to sing SBW at the top of my voice, when the nearest 100 people just stood politely silent and gawped at me!  This was in the Directors Box, me and Muckerette dressed in our very finest, on one of those VIP treats, a good few years back now when it was still popular (apart from in the posh seats, it seems!)  I made sure it was my loudest and proudest rendition!  (*Just checked - Lost 2-3 to Wolves - Easter Monday 2009).

Can't deny, it's a bit meh now, innit!  

Sweet Caroline was played over the tannoy at Wembley, as I definitely sang along to it.  Cant remember whether it was pre, post or HT.
As great as that is, it is fairly popular with all.  Certainly not something we could make our own.

The Irish have been known to blast out "Can't take my eyes off you".

I do like  @Inverurie Ram's suggestion of "Do I love you", particularly if we could titivate some of the words to be more DCFC-specific, but let's face it... it'll never happen!

Whilst I have absolutely no attachment to The Island of Ireland, Edinburgh (apart from 2 x weekend breaks), or even the colour green, I have to say either of the below is what we should aspire to. 
If your hairs don't stand on end, and your goose doesn't get covered in pimples, then you must be dead...

Now all we need to do is to find a song we can make our own... and maybe some sort of mass tempo/rhythm lessons!  

On this subject... and this subject alone, I hasten to add... Whilst they are far from the best, I do admit to an iota of jealousy in the direction of West Bridgford.  Annies Song in particular, and even Mull of Kintyre, can sound great, when they are on form!

They still smell though!  

Archived