Morgan Whittaker

Bubbles

Changed the game when he came on me thinks...

Would like to see more of him - hopefully gets a chance at home.

added a bit of energy into the team which was slower than 14 year old obese me attempting the 100m

What do you all think? Give the youth a run?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Showed a few nice touches but havent been overly convinced by him when ive seen him in the u23s or first team, very 1 footed and predictable. Think id prefer Mitchell-Lawson to be given a chance over Whittaker, very direct & pacey, always looked the one of, if not the best player on the pitch for the u23s when ive watched them

4 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Difficult to have any real idea about his ability without seeing him play enough. Lawrence was absolutely awful today, I’d drop him Saturday and give someone a run out ahead of him. Whether that’s Whittaker or not I guess depends on how much confidence we have in him.

But Lawrence was absolutely superb on Saturday?? Seems odd to drop him based on a poor away game. He’s been our best player this last month going forward. 

I said in the match thread, I was surprised at the praise being heaped on him. Tough to criticise a young player coming on when the side is playing so badly and I know we are all looking for a glimmer of hope. However, I thought he missed with 2 or 3 easy passes.

Nevertheless, his appearance did coincide with a degree more urgency.

Generally though, I think it's better to blood youngsters in a team playing well rather than asking them to turn things around. So, at the moment, that would maybe be in home games only.

From what I've seen of the youngsters on RamsTV, JML seems to offer more of a threat but those who follow the academy may offer a different view.

11 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Difficult to have any real idea about his ability without seeing him play enough. Lawrence was absolutely awful today, I’d drop him Saturday and give someone a run out ahead of him. Whether that’s Whittaker or not I guess depends on how much confidence we have in him.

Would be extremely harsh to drop Lawrence after his performances against Forest and Preston IMO.

6 minutes ago, enachops said:

But Lawrence was absolutely superb on Saturday?? Seems odd to drop him based on a poor away game. He’s been our best player this last month going forward. 

Absolutely superb is a bit of a stretch imo, but yes he was decent and has been one of our better players this season. Worst player on the pitch today though, and you can’t get away with a performance like that otherwise standards drop. Stick him on the bench and make him fight for his place back.

6 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Absolutely superb is a bit of a stretch imo, but yes he was decent and has been one of our better players this season. Worst player on the pitch today though, and you can’t get away with a performance like that otherwise standards drop. Stick him on the bench and make him fight for his place back.

It’s not a stretch at all, he was brilliant. 

I disagree with you on this one. Bigger problems than Lawrence. Holmes poor again, Bielik was on his own in midfield. Both full backs got beat time and time again and Bogle dribbled into dead ends and produced little going forward. Davies very poor for 2nd. Martin too isolated, Waghorn touch atrocious. Need I go on...

Just now, enachops said:

It’s not a stretch at all, he was brilliant. 

I disagree with you on this one. Bigger problems than Lawrence. Holmes poor again, Bielik was on his own in midfield. Both full backs got beat time and time again and Bogle dribbled into dead ends and produced little going forward. Davies very poor for 2nd. Martin too isolated, Waghorn touch atrocious. Need I go on...

Have to agree to disagree then. Imo Lawrence was the biggest problem on the pitch today. Far far far too wasteful. That’s not to say anyone else was particulary good, but he was the worst of a bad bunch. Not the only one who should be dropped of course.

16 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

I said in the match thread, I was surprised at the praise being heaped on him. Tough to criticise a young player coming on when the side is playing so badly and I know we are all looking for a glimmer of hope. However, I thought he missed with 2 or 3 easy passes.

True. He looked lively, but achieved what? Why didn’t Cocu start him rather than Waghorn, hardly fair bringing him on when the game is almost lost.

6 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Nevertheless, his appearance did coincide with a degree more urgency.

Generally though, I think it's better to blood youngsters in a team playing well rather than asking them to turn things around. So, at the moment, that would maybe be in home games only.

From what I've seen of the youngsters on RamsTV, JML seems to offer more of a threat but those who follow the academy may offer a different view.

Agreed, gave the ball away easily and seemed naieve and scared. 
Don’t rate him don’t think he will make it. Very frustrated to see him given chances over Sibley but Cocu sees him in training and must see something there...

He’s the next Marvin Robinson/Theo Robinson for me.

9 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

Showed a few nice touches but havent been overly convinced by him when ive seen him in the u23s or first team, very 1 footed and predictable. Think id prefer Mitchell-Lawson to be given a chance over Whittaker, very direct & pacey, always looked the one of, if not the best player on the pitch for the u23s when ive watched them

I’ve been really surprised Mitchell-Lawson hasn’t had a sniff of the first team.

3 hours ago, rammieib said:

Agreed, gave the ball away easily and seemed naieve and scared. 
Don’t rate him don’t think he will make it. Very frustrated to see him given chances over Sibley but Cocu sees him in training and must see something there...

He’s the next Marvin Robinson/Theo Robinson for me.

Frustrated to see Cocu give a chance to a winger/cf over a CM? ?

This thread demonstrates why Cocu has to be very cautious in introducing young players into the team. 

Some sweeping statements in here by posters who I suspect have seen very little of either Whittaker or Jayden Mitchell Lawson. 

Some Derby fans don't deserve nice things. 

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

This thread demonstrates why Cocu has to be very cautious in introducing young players into the team. 

Some sweeping statements in here by posters who I suspect have seen very little of either Whittaker or Jayden Mitchell Lawson. 

Some Derby fans don't deserve nice things. 

Said what I was thinking. A couple of misplaced passes and Sibley would be getting crucified by some.

If JML came into the first team, every time he took a first touch I think odds would be against him having a second one. Only happens 50% of the time at youth level ? 

If we were playing a hyper defensive counter-attacking style I'd be more inclined to experiment with him.

Whittaker, imo, is underrated by many due to how eye-popping Sibley's youth performances can be. They're in the same bracket, for me. Plus, clearly, if Whittaker is seeing involvement it means his first team training is going better than Sibley's.
But that being said, neither are going to come in and be our best player - they'll need time being a bit average, and the question is whether or not they'll survive that time.

Archived