The importance of mental toughness

Bob The Badger

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of the people near me in the East stand stair 45 on Saturday really got on my threepenny bits , if they weren't getting up every ten minutes they were moaning constantly especially at Kelle , ( who if idiots got behind he would flourish ) What do they actually go for ? 

Also whats with people constantly looking at their phone during a game all about ? And don't get me started on people leaving on 80mins ! What is the rush to get home for ? Bloody Strictly ?? 

Give me a good ole away day any day ! 

31 minutes ago, jono said:

Yes of course you are right and the irony is understood, but Bob has a point. Not about booing or those with fewer than the average brain cells amongst our motley crew of supporters. Dumb, but they exist and they pay for a ticket

... There is something though about the benefits of being resilient mentally. It’s tough out there, you won’t be forgiven for every mistake, you will have to ride storms without a helping hand or an understanding public, boss, partner. It would be nice if you didn’t need to and that we lived in a utopian world, but we don’t. We all need some steel, being able to fight battles with your own resources has to be seen as a desirable asset. 

I was going to respond to @Tamworthram  but I wasn't sure what the point was because I clearly didn't mean what he was proposing.

I read a really great book about 20 years ago written by one of the US' leading sports psychologists, Dr John Eliot. There were some brilliant stories about mental toughness and confidence (which was the books main topic).

Some of the examples were obvious, but he started talking about Tom Kite. Kite was world #1 for a period in the 80's and was the most mild mannered golfer you could imagine. Eliot said he was as tough, arrogant and determined as any golfer he ever met even though he looked emotionless on the course.

Mental strength has zero to do with being emotionless. In fact, if you think of really, really, great sports people very few (if any) were emotionless with regard to their sport. They may have looked it, but that's a different matter altogether.

There are very few commonalities with super successful sports people, but one is mental strength. You simply don't get to the top level without having it.

I don't want any Derby player to be mentally strong so we can boo them, that would be absurd.

I want them to have it so if they make a mistake they can forget about it no matter what the crowd reaction is. Or, if the season looks over the never give up. Or, even if we are 2 down at Wembley they don't let their heads drop and give up.

Looking back on the 4 most successful managers in my life time, Clough. Mackay, Cox and Smith - all exuded mental toughness and with the possible exception of The Bald Eagle, I cannot imagine any putting up with mental weakness.  And that's just a general observation, not an attack on Roos before anybody says anything.

Mac otoh, didn't strike me like that and he came up just short. Again, just an observation.

3 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

You definitely can build mental toughness. 

It tends to be learned earlier on in life, but it can happen later.

People who have been through trauma of some description can often come out a lot tougher.

You probably have a point here.

I’m thinking back to when Beckham got sent off against Argentina, seem to remember the often favourite chant to try and wind him up was “Beckham lost the World Cup” etc, including when he came to Pride Park. Somehow I didn’t particularly notice his career do a nosedive, I think he developed a thick skin (yes we could go elsewhere on that one, remember the Ali G sketch). 

You’ve already stated Hinton, bet there are scores of others that managed to roll their sleeves up so to speak and get tough it out , suppose the trouble is not everyone is made of sterner stuff and a few will wilt under a barrage of abuse, why managers treat players differently.

(P.s Myself i was traumatised when my true love Wendy left me when we were both 15, emigrated to Australia, she promised she would write and never did; wasted a lot of tissues at the time but I’d forgot her by the time came out the sixth form, many parties had a happy ending, mental toughness see ?).

Of course mental toughness is important in a footballer, it’s a hugely pressured job with a lot riding on individual performances. It’s certainly not a task I’d be up to, and I’m sure I’m not the only one on here who’d be willing to admit that. It takes real bottle to hold your nerve when the pressures on and still perform to your best. You’ve gotta be really strong to do that, and that’s why psychologists are used more and more in the sport these days. 

But the pressure I’m talking about above comes with the game, it’s unavoidable and hard enough as it is. What we don’t want to do is add to that pressure. No talk of “mental toughness” excuses fans making players jobs harder when ironically cheering poor performances. All it does is knock players confidence further, there really is no need for it, and it’s totally counterproductive to what we’re trying to achieve as a club.

Imo there’s one time when booing or jeering of players is acceptable, and that’s when they’re not putting the effort in. If the 11 players have turned up and given it their all, then they deserve our support. Booing them for scuffing a shot ain’t gonna make the next one better.

2 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

(P.s Myself i was traumatised when my true love Wendy left me when we were both 15, emigrated to Australia, she promised she would write and never did; wasted a lot of tissues at the time but I’d forgot her by the time came out the sixth form, many parties had a happy ending, mental toughness see ?).

Something, something, Hillsborough, something, @DarkFruitsRam7, something, something....

4 hours ago, Zag zig said:

Well tissues are an important aspect of the happy ending

Archived