VUE Cinemas - Banning "Blue Story"

Bubbles

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ignore the mention of Frozen 2. The media are only including that to increase visibility and generate clicks, since it's a popular keyword. I'm pretty certain the brawl wasn't started by people there to watch Frozen 2.

I find it hilarious that people will willfully ignore all the real causes of knife crime and post code gangs, yet jump at the chance to ban a film. Brilliant! If we continue to ignore the problem it will definitely just go away. The film shouldn't be banned, although I'm a little surprised it managed to avoid an 18 rating, given the subject matter, the violence, and the depiction of drug abuse.

Choleigh McGuire, who was waiting to watch Frozen 2 with her 11-year-old sister, said it was “one of the scariest experiences of my life”.
“It was so scary … we had a Taser pointed at us my little sister didn’t know what to do she just froze,” she wrote, in a Twitter post. 

source.gif

38 minutes ago, Anon said:

Ignore the mention of Frozen 2. The media are only including that to increase visibility and generate clicks, since it's a popular keyword. I'm pretty certain the brawl wasn't started by people there to watch Frozen 2.

I find it hilarious that people will willfully ignore all the real causes of knife crime and post code gangs, yet jump at the chance to ban a film. Brilliant! If we continue to ignore the problem it will definitely just go away. The film shouldn't be banned, although I'm a little surprised it managed to avoid an 18 rating, given the subject matter, the violence, and the depiction of drug abuse.

The film isn't banned. You just can't watch it at Vue.

Personally, I don't blame them. The idea that I and my family could be confronted by knife wielding gangs on a visit to the cinema would put me right off.

1 minute ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Personally, I don't blame them. The idea that I and my family could be confronted by knife wielding gangs on a visit to the cinema would put me right off.

Good point. There's a big difference between the film being banned and not being shown by a particular chain. I should've been more specific. Do you not think there's an element of media sensationalism at play though? I'd be willing to bet there's been many other altercations (even some involving weapons) at cinemas down the years that didn't make front page news because they can't be connected to gangs. I just feel like certain sections of the media have been going into overdrive in a push for censorship recently. There were so many articles practically begging for an incident to occur at the recent Joker film, so they could point to how dangerous ideas and works of fiction are.

15 minutes ago, Anon said:

Good point. There's a big difference between the film being banned and not being shown by a particular chain. I should've been more specific. Do you not think there's an element of media sensationalism at play though? I'd be willing to bet there's been many other altercations (even some involving weapons) at cinemas down the years that didn't make front page news because they can't be connected to gangs. I just feel like certain sections of the media have been going into overdrive in a push for censorship recently. There were so many articles practically begging for an incident to occur at the recent Joker film, so they could point to how dangerous ideas and works of fiction are.

There's more than an element of sensationalism at play here. Our media thrive on it.

On the other hand, if some morons with machetes want to show up at a cinema and ruin families' trips out, they deserve all they get.

38 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

We really need more information about this to be honest. 

We know the brawl was started by 3 14 year old girls having a fight in the queue for a Frozen 2 screening; and then we know police arrived an amount of time later and a bunch got injured trying to subdue a group of youths with weapons, including a machete.

There's a big disconnect there between point A and point B. 

I really feel like a lot of assumptions are being made that perhaps aren't justified.
In truth, Vue probably made the decision to declare they're not screening it because Frozen 2 is a big ol' moneybag and they want people to feel safer; which they will, because everyone will make those assumptions about the brawl; cos that's how we are.

42 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

We really need more information about this to be honest. 

We know the brawl was started by 3 14 year old girls having a fight in the queue for a Frozen 2 screening; and then we know police arrived an amount of time later and a bunch got injured trying to subdue a group of youths with weapons, including a machete.

There's a big disconnect there between point A and point B. 

I really feel like a lot of assumptions are being made that perhaps aren't justified.
In truth, Vue probably made the decision to declare they're not screening it because Frozen 2 is a big ol' moneybag and they want people to feel safer; which they will, because everyone will make those assumptions about the brawl; cos that's how we are.

This, it's been all over twitter. Was started by people not there to watch this film, and weren't even old enough to see it anyway.

2 hours ago, Anon said:

Are you blaming media (by which I assume you mean the newspapers and TV) sensationalism for the movie being banned at this particular cinema chain?

In which case, surely you're wrong (I admit I haven't read the whole story yet). Didn't the cinema chain choose to ban the film after the incident rather than in response to any media sensationalism?

Vue says the decision to withdraw the film "was not one taken lightly or without careful consideration".

It says the film opened across 60 of its sites on Friday, but during the first 24 hours over "25 significant incidents were reported and escalated to senior management in 16 separate cinemas".

"This is the biggest number we have ever seen for any film in a such a short time frame."

It says the film wasn't pulled based on "biased assumptions".

If people who are going to watch this are not behaving in an appropriate way and causing problems for law abiding members of the public and cinema staff what other choice is there but to ban it before some poor person ends up dead because of some wanna be gangsta twit.

1 hour ago, ketteringram said:

Seems this has been reversed?

Vue Cinemas stopped showing it after the trouble at their Star City cinema complex on Friday night.
Showcase Cinemas then followed suit "Whilst they assessed the situation".

Showcase have now reinstated it... with added security.
Vue continue to NOT show it. 

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-11-25/showcase-cinemas-becomes-second-chain-to-stop-showing-gang-movie-blue-story-after-mass-brawl-vue-birmingham/

Archived