Kelle Roos

Bob The Badger

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Jourdan said:

1. Do you seriously think replacing Roos will be the difference between staying in this division and not?

2. In the past five years, we have had Scott Carson and Lee Grant, two goalkeepers who have played in the Premier League and one of whom has England caps, and yet here we are - still in the Championship!

3. Roos has weaknesses and Roos makes mistakes. Find me a keeper that doesn’t.

4. The reason why we are not higher up in the table isn’t because of Roos.

5. Look at the games earlier in the season. Generally speaking if we created more chances or if we had players who were more clinical in front of goal, we’d probably be eight points better off and in the top six.

6. And let’s be honest, if we get promoted to the Premier League, we’d probably be aiming to replace at least 6-7 of our regular starters, maybe more.

7. If there is a thread about Roos, surely there should be a thread about Waghorn and Marriott and the number of chances they waste...

1. No, But a keeper that commands his area exudes confidense throughout the team, I'm not mystic Meg so would't know where we would be with a different keeper.

2. We also had the very same keeper in Roos who helped Villa on their way to the Premier League.

3. Keepers mistakes are highlighted more as they inevitabley end in a goal.

4. The reason we're not higher up in the table is because of how the Lampard situation dragged on, Losing 3 main players and getting Cocu in at a time when time wasn't on his side.

5. The Barnsley game comes to mind, Roos never came for a cross that imo he should have, They scored, We missed several good opportunities, Then gave a soft goal away in the dying seconds.

6. Only 6-7?

7. You are free to start a thread about any player if you so wish.

Actually hate threads like this, can't be bothered to read everything so I'm sorry if my points have already been made.

At the end of the day he's our player and he gives his all. If you don't think he's good enough then fair enough, but he's better than anything else that we've got.

We've kept 4 clean sheets at home in a row (Just seen @SouthStandDan's post just above. 

His decision making is questionable but what do you expect when you have fans sarcastically jeering you every game?

At the end of the day he's trying to win the fans over and getting on his back will counter what he is trying to do.

Support the guy, Cheer instead of jeer.

He's become a scapegoat and it's ridiculous.

Long,long ago, in a land far, far away, I was forced to stand in goal with the title 'Goalkeeper, and told that my task, should I accept it, was to keep the ball from going into the net behind me.

By half-time we were 2-1 down in a close match.

The second half started and the ball sailed over my head. I got fingertips to it but it was a goal (PTSD set in then!)

For the next 20 minutes our formation was ten men camped in the opposite half with little me the only defence'. I saved 3 but let in a further 3. I then had a frank exchange of views with our captain, was granted one decent defender and between us we stopped any more goals going in.

I can't claim to be the world's worst goalie but I am in the bottom one. BUT any goalie needs a dependable defence.

Support the Roos!

28 minutes ago, SouthStandDan said:

The bloke's kept 4 clean sheets in a row at home. How terrible, send him back to Holland or wherever he came from.....

But are the clean sheets because of only him....? 

He’s a decent shot stopper (basically made most of the saves you’d expect) and the jeering definitely doesn’t help but it’s pretty much Inarguable in that he’s dropping almost everything and his command of the box is shocking. He came for ball on Saturday and was literally 3 yards short of it. Got cleared luckily but he was nowhere near it. 

And he needs to release the ball quicker when it’s at his feet. Apart from that, great keeper ??

Obviously we all want him to succeed, etc but for me, he’s by far our weakest link. 

On 23/11/2019 at 21:06, Bob The Badger said:

I don't think any Derby player ever suffered as bad for one mistake as he did for that.

After traveling to Plymouth feeling like utter crap with a heavy cold and getting them back to the BBG, I thought we were in the semi's. That was a very tough loss.

It was and i remember being packed in like sardines at Home Park and the game was dire...the second leg formality never got going and Cherries blunder was a real blow in a game we should've won...another keeper who never really seemed to give confidence to the defence.

ps also agree on your assessment of Roos ...he is back up at the very best...blunder at wembley cost us and he doesnt seem to have got any better but seems a nice bloke :-)

24 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

It's patently obvious that it's a position we can upgrade. But hey, let's not be thick Bamfords and pile the pressure on Roos by sarcastically cheering whenever he catches a ball, or screaming at him whenever he drops one.

I'm genuinely applauding him.  Can someone tell me if I should continue do that so he knows at least one of us appreciates him or cease to do so because I'm amplifying those cheering sarcastically?

8 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

I'm genuinely applauding him.  Can someone tell me if I should continue do that so he knows at least one of us appreciates him or cease to do so because I'm amplifying those cheering sarcastically?

Ha! Difficult dilemma. I think those who are being sarcastic are the ones who go 'Waaaayyy' every time he catches it. I applaud him and shout 'Roooooooosssss' and hope he gets the message!

19 hours ago, CHCDerby said:

Angie, you always seem to know your onions. 

What is your honest assessment of Roos? Do you worry everytime the ball goes near him or are you quite confident he'll do a job? 

It's taken me a while to answer this because I have been thinking about it.

I am honestly not sure whether Roos is going to be the first class goalkeeper some fans think Derby is entitled to or not but I do already see a decent championship keeper there who could get better if we nurture and support him.

I think he fits the way we want to play and his shot stopping and distribution are on a par with any goalkeeper currently in the Championship. I think his distribution is in fact better than most and when he does choose to kick, he very rarely puts it into touch, which I recall Grant and Carson doing fairly regularly. 

We all know his limitations with high balls. I think he prefers to punch (and why not, he has a decent one) but the way the crowd is pressuring him makes him more hesitant in deciding what to do and this isn't helping.

This thing about him 'commanding the box' is just rhetoric. We have heard from the captain himself that he wants the keeper to stay on the line, he is clearly under instructions to remain, so the crowd getting on at him about this too is not helping his game. 

People are keen to criticise and in this thread someone mentioned that Preston hitting (the outside of) the post was an example of his poor goalkeeping. But if you look at the video, Roos was there and if the shot had been on goal he would have saved it easily.

I thought he played well last season when he came into the team and can't remember such criticism until after the play off final when  he made the error. We all know how that panned out for Keogh - some idiots never forgave him!

Derby fans seem to love a scapegoat and I have seen them undermine the confidence of several decent players over recent seasons who have gone on to pick up their careers again elsewhere.

You asked if I worry about Roos when he is playing - no, but I do worry about the way the crowd treats him. 

1 hour ago, angieram said:

It's taken me a while to answer this because I have been thinking about it.

I am honestly not sure whether Roos is going to be the first class goalkeeper some fans think Derby is entitled to or not but I do already see a decent championship keeper there who could get better if we nurture and support him.

I think he fits the way we want to play and his shot stopping and distribution are on a par with any goalkeeper currently in the Championship. I think his distribution is in fact better than most and when he does choose to kick, he very rarely puts it into touch, which I recall Grant and Carson doing fairly regularly. 

We all know his limitations with high balls. I think he prefers to punch (and why not, he has a decent one) but the way the crowd is pressuring him makes him more hesitant in deciding what to do and this isn't helping.

This thing about him 'commanding the box' is just rhetoric. We have heard from the captain himself that he wants the keeper to stay on the line, he is clearly under instructions to remain, so the crowd getting on at him about this too is not helping his game. 

People are keen to criticise and in this thread someone mentioned that Preston hitting (the outside of) the post was an example of his poor goalkeeping. But if you look at the video, Roos was there and if the shot had been on goal he would have saved it easily.

I thought he played well last season when he came into the team and can't remember such criticism until after the play off final when  he made the error. We all know how that panned out for Keogh - some idiots never forgave him!

Derby fans seem to love a scapegoat and I have seen them undermine the confidence of several decent players over recent seasons who have gone on to pick up their careers again elsewhere.

You asked if I worry about Roos when he is playing - no, but I do worry about the way the crowd treats him. 

Maybe we should all take note and don't give our opinion before assessing more than the obvious. 

33 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

image.png.47ab26e52adac7fccb2abb1b41016579.png

SkyBet graphic for golden glove, but Kelle Roos has 5 clean sheets doesn't he?

0-0 Swansea;
2-0 Luton;
1-0 Wigan;
2-0 Boro;
1-0 Preston.

I wouldn't use the clean sheets as a measurement for keepers ability and that list underlines it. IMO worst of them is topping the table (Okay, I don't know much about Rafael..)

2 hours ago, angieram said:

Is it?, Is it really, It's about communicating, Pointing/talking/encouraging not just coming to collect crosses, As for the Captain saying he wants Roos to stay on his line, That I am not surprised at, The Captain must also be aware of Roos liabilities when attempting to catch crosses ?

I would love to know who's instructing him to stay on his line, Shay Given maybe?

5 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

I wouldn't use the clean sheets as a measurement for keepers ability and that list underlines it. IMO worst of them is topping the table (Okay, I don't know much about Rafael..)

My point was just that Roos should be on that graphic; not the merit of clean sheets as a stat ?

4 hours ago, S8TY said:

It was and i remember being packed in like sardines at Home Park and the game was dire...the second leg formality never got going and Cherries blunder was a real blow in a game we should've won...another keeper who never really seemed to give confidence to the defence.

ps also agree on your assessment of Roos ...he is back up at the very best...blunder at wembley cost us and he doesnt seem to have got any better but seems a nice bloke ?

Steve Cherry's mistake will always be seen as the reason we lost that game, but as usual it's taken out of the context of the rest of the match or the tie as a whole. He made some saves that kept us in the game at Home Park and without them there may not have been a replay. Our forwards, including Bobby Davison, couldn't find the net over 2 games and Peter Taylor was on the verge of the sack and making mystifying decisions, including putting aging centre half Dave Watson on up front. We also had an overweight, past it Kenny Burns in defence, say no more! 

Similarly at Wembley Roos's mistake contributed to our downfall but wasn't the reason we lost, team selection and tactics played a huge part.

Im a bit ambivalent about Roos, I've seen a lot worse but also a lot better and I'm not sure replacing him would suddenly turn us into promotion contenders overnight

Archived