Kelle Roos

Bob The Badger

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm good to stick with Roos.

Sure he makes mistakes, but those mistakes more often than not don't lead to a goal. Typically a punch when it could have been a catch... which is then cleared.

But I think Roos is playing better than Carson did last year. 

It was this time last year we lost 2-1 at Stoke. Remember that game? 

On 23/11/2019 at 19:03, Millenniumram said:

Then I don’t think you understand the modern game at all. You watch City, Liverpool play - the best teams in the country - and they put a huge amount of emphasis in their play in goalkeepers starting attacks. It’s why They both spent so much on their goalkeepers, and it’s why both improved immeasurably in the seasons after they did so. You want to play a Neil Warnock style of football? Then sure, just get an old fashioned stopper keeper and you’ll be fine. But if you want to play the style of football that I see most on here wanting us to play, then it’s simply not gonna work if you have a goalie who can’t pass. We saw it last season with Carson, which is exactly why he was dropped in the first place. Kept gifting possession away, and you’ve got no hope of building an attack if it breaks down at the first pass from a goalkick! 

Like it or not, nowadays being able to pass a ball is a very important part of the “job description” of a goalkeeper, and is far, far more important than you’re giving it credit for. You still need to be able to do the basics of course, and Roos is far from perfect, but he’s a decent shot stopper and is decent on the ball- both of which are elements of a good goalkeeper. Utterly abject is absolute nonsense when talking about a bloke who kept a clean sheet, he had a couple of dodgy moments yes, but there’s been far far far worse goalkeeping performances that I’ve seen, from Derby Goalies, Opposition Goalies, and Roos himself.

Brilliant post ??. I coach at under 7 level and I'm already trying to install this into our goalkeepers . 

From my 35 years of playing and watching football, I think you need to do the basics right first.

For a GK this includes commanding the box, catching crosses that are there to be caught and identifying those that need to be punched and punching them well.

If you can’t do this then you are no better than a centre half that can’t head the ball.

On 23/11/2019 at 20:03, Millenniumram said:

Then I don’t think you understand the modern game at all. You watch City, Liverpool play - the best teams in the country - and they put a huge amount of emphasis in their play in goalkeepers starting attacks. It’s why They both spent so much on their goalkeepers, and it’s why both improved immeasurably in the seasons after they did so. You want to play a Neil Warnock style of football? Then sure, just get an old fashioned stopper keeper and you’ll be fine. But if you want to play the style of football that I see most on here wanting us to play, then it’s simply not gonna work if you have a goalie who can’t pass. We saw it last season with Carson, which is exactly why he was dropped in the first place. Kept gifting possession away, and you’ve got no hope of building an attack if it breaks down at the first pass from a goalkick! 

Like it or not, nowadays being able to pass a ball is a very important part of the “job description” of a goalkeeper, and is far, far more important than you’re giving it credit for. You still need to be able to do the basics of course, and Roos is far from perfect, but he’s a decent shot stopper and is decent on the ball- both of which are elements of a good goalkeeper. Utterly abject is absolute nonsense when talking about a bloke who kept a clean sheet, he had a couple of dodgy moments yes, but there’s been far far far worse goalkeeping performances that I’ve seen, from Derby Goalies, Opposition Goalies, and Roos himself.

On the flip side, it might be considered more likely to actually coach a very good goalkeeper to improve his distribution, than to turn a poor / average keeper (who can pass a bit) into a decent keeper. Regarding 'job description', keeping the ball out of the net & dealing with balls coming into the penalty area, will always be a primary requirements, one would think...

2 hours ago, I Bought the Tee Shirt said:

This level is the next step to the Premier League, If you're happy to have a goalkeeper of the quality of Roos, Then this is the level we will stay at, The Championship this season is proberbly the weakest I've seen for a while, We're 5 points from the play offs, We've had an up and down season so far and to quote the financial institutions "I can see green shoots of recovery"

The opposition and our defence has had a big contribution to those clean sheets.

A crisis would be if we were in the bottom 3, We're not so there's no crisis, I'd sooner people get their comments about Roos on here off thier chests rather than at PP.

To quote one Brian Clough....you build from the back.

Do you seriously think replacing Roos will be the difference between staying in this division and not?

In the past five years, we have had Scott Carson and Lee Grant, two goalkeepers who have played in the Premier League and one of whom has England caps, and yet here we are - still in the Championship!

Roos has weaknesses and Roos makes mistakes. Find me a keeper that doesn’t.

The reason why we are not higher up in the table isn’t because of Roos.

Look at the games earlier in the season. Generally speaking if we created more chances or if we had players who were more clinical in front of goal, we’d probably be eight points better off and in the top six.

And let’s be honest, if we get promoted to the Premier League, we’d probably be aiming to replace at least 6-7 of our regular starters, maybe more.

If there is a thread about Roos, surely there should be a thread about Waghorn and Marriott and the number of chances they waste...

2 minutes ago, The Orange Pimpernel said:

Agreed. It's lack of goals scored that is our problem. Look at the figures. 

Agreed too ...The good news is for the last 3 games we are now creating chances but for every Roos flap/ mishandle there is a forward who hasn’t buried a perfectly good chance

Bogle Waggy Marriott Martin and Lawrence have all missed the equivalent of a Roos take from the air firmly between 2 hands

3 minutes ago, The Orange Pimpernel said:

Agreed. It's lack of goals scored that is our problem. Look at the figures. 

Exactly.

19 goals scored in 17 games.

The lowest scorers in the top half, and only four teams in the entire division have scored fewer.

Correct that, and no-one is talking about Roos.

I came to the conclusion awhile ago that if a player was in a Derby shirt, he is the best player in that position in the world to some of our blinkered fans. I can't remember feeling less confident with a keeper than with Roos and I've seen a lot.

Good to see the criticism of Martin has gone away since he rejoined the fold!

27 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Do you seriously think replacing Roos will be the difference between staying in this division and not?

In the past five years, we have had Scott Carson and Lee Grant, two goalkeepers who have played in the Premier League and one of whom has England caps, and yet here we are - still in the Championship!

Roos has weaknesses and Roos makes mistakes. Find me a keeper that doesn’t.

The reason why we are not higher up in the table isn’t because of Roos.

Look at the games earlier in the season. Generally speaking if we created more chances or if we had players who were more clinical in front of goal, we’d probably be eight points better off and in the top six.

And let’s be honest, if we get promoted to the Premier League, we’d probably be aiming to replace at least 6-7 of our regular starters, maybe more.

If there is a thread about Roos, surely there should be a thread about Waghorn and Marriott and the number of chances they waste...

Agree with that ?

34 minutes ago, europia said:

On the flip side, it might be considered more likely to actually coach a very good goalkeeper to improve his distribution, than to turn a poor / average keeper (who can pass a bit) into a decent keeper. Regarding 'job description', keeping the ball out of the net & dealing with balls coming into the penalty area, will always be a primary requirements, one would think...

I’m not so sure, I think both are equally coachable in a keeper capable of it, and not coachable in one who’s not. Never said that they’re not primary requirements, just that they’re not the only ones, being able to pass is right up there too.

Lots of comments on here. Alot of which are baalocks.  I expect the majority have never played in goal.

There was a comment about it being wet - theyr'e the best conditions for a goalie. No need to dampen your gloves.

Someone said he was fouled just afore half time - not watched it back but if he had come out when he should have done instead of hesitating he would have taken it at maximum height - not in front of his face inviting a challenge. (Bit like Wembley).  One of the first things you are taught as a goalie is to take the ball at its highest point.

We've kept clean sheets, that is clear, but they are in spite of Roos, not because of him. 

Someone claimed he made a top save yesterday. I didn't see it, nor did I go and squeeze my prostate mid game.

I played in goal for the best part of 40 years . I know a goalie when I see one.

Roos's inability to deal with a cross is a major major problem. If you can't see that then there needs to be some heads wobbled.

He's not good enough.

40 minutes ago, Charlie van de Borreltje said:

Lots of comments on here. Alot of which are baalocks.  I expect the majority have never played in goal.

There was a comment about it being wet - theyr'e the best conditions for a goalie. No need to dampen your gloves.

Someone said he was fouled just afore half time - not watched it back but if he had come out when he should have done instead of hesitating he would have taken it at maximum height - not in front of his face inviting a challenge. (Bit like Wembley).  One of the first things you are taught as a goalie is to take the ball at its highest point.

We've kept clean sheets, that is clear, but they are in spite of Roos, not because of him. 

Someone claimed he made a top save yesterday. I didn't see it, nor did I go and squeeze my prostate mid game.

I played in goal for the best part of 40 years . I know a goalie when I see one.

Roos's inability to deal with a cross is a major major problem. If you can't see that then there needs to be some heads wobbled.

He's not good enough.

Yeah but not everyone is as good as you Shilts

Archived