Kelle Roos

Bob The Badger

2 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Rant time, don’t like doing it but to be honest this is getting on my nerves far too much for me to ignore

It’s pretty obvious to me that Roos’ problem is that he was an academy product that a lot of fans never thought would make it and don’t  want to be proven wrong. They are far more willing to pick up on every little thing they don’t like than actually think he’s having a fine season. That’s obvious in this thread and has been about every since he got his chance. You’d rather self fulfil your prophecy than actual get behind the players. 

Its exactly the same with Bennett, some of ya can’t handle that he became a dependable first team player. You can’t accept that top managers actually want to use them.

The problem isn’t with Roos or Bennett, it’s the butt hurt among us.

I don’t care if he’s from the academy or he cost £10 million I go by what I see on the pitch and he simply struggles to catch the ball or even punch the ball.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just pleased that I won my bet with the other half that there'd be a thread criticising Roos on here after yesterday's win.

Mind you, I say that every week. I'm usually right.

Can't decide whether that means Roos is a rubbish keeper or that DCFC fans love a scapegoat!

3 hours ago, chewbacca said:

Yeah, we can't carry on keeping these clean sheets, we need a change ASAP

Sorry to keep banging on about Cloughie but I remember him saying that if he saw a player better than Roy McFarland he'd sign him and play him.

There are so many sporting examples of people who waited too long to make changes

59 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

He didn’t come through our academy did he?

Struggling to remember when it was but I believe we signed him from Nuneaton when he was already past academy age!

You're right, he didn't. I had no idea tbf, but looked it up. He made his Derby first team debut the year after we signed him from Nuneaton. 

It seems @TuffLuff has a worse memory than me. Not only did he remember him in the Academy but he also remembered a lot of fans not thinking he could make it.

Give me your address mate and I'll send you some of these. 

2c465002fd0e5af8eebe2000c35ab7a814e382d6.jpeg

2 hours ago, angieram said:

I'm just pleased that I won my bet with the other half that there'd be a thread criticising Roos on here after yesterday's win.

Can't decide whether that means Roos is a rubbish keeper or that DCFC fans love a scapegoat!

Angie, you always seem to know your onions. 

What is your honest assessment of Roos? Do you worry everytime the ball goes near him or are you quite confident he'll do a job? 

I don’t know how many “fundamentals” there for a goal keeper. Positioning, reaction, bravery, distribution, Roos has some good scores in many of them but his catching/handling, which is kind of a prerequisite for the job, is really poor. Can this be coached, practiced or whatever I don’t know. If it can then we’ll have a good keeper. If not then he is definitely going to be a continuing worry. BUT

whatever .. it is zero help to do the ironic claps and cheers .. not good for anyone’s confidence. Get off his back, he’s in our team. Not helpful to the cause to rattle him. Actually pretty toxic come to think of it. He is our player - support ! 

Let’s get It right, in no universe is Roos a better keeper than carson, or ever will be...BUT he most certainly is cheaper and the cash saved on him has certainly helped fund Wazza’s dream move back to the home of football for one and helped with FFP I’m sure.! 

We aren’t going up with Roos in goals, but we wouldn’t go up with Shelton and Buffon in their prime both in goals, so just relax and enjoy the ride.! 

12 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Let’s get It right, in no universe is Roos a better keeper than carson, or ever will be...BUT he most certainly is cheaper and the cash saved on him has certainly helped fund Wazza’s dream move back to the home of football for one and helped with FFP I’m sure.! 

We aren’t going up with Roos in goals, but we wouldn’t go up with Shelton and Buffon in their prime both in goals, so just relax and enjoy the ride.! 

Gotta say, I never considered the cost element. Interesting point.

3 hours ago, angieram said:

Strangely enough, I said to my lad walking home that I thought there will be a Roos thread after the game.

I don’t think it’s a scapegoat thing as pointed out by a few, it was a clean sheet.

It’s almost as if he’s finally admitting to himself that catching isn’t his thing and it’s what the ground are now expecting him to prove he can. Tough place to be as a keeper.  At every corner yesterday I was willing him to rise majestically and catch that ball cleanly.  ( the ones I could watch)

6 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Rant time, don’t like doing it but to be honest this is getting on my nerves far too much for me to ignore

It’s pretty obvious to me that Roos’ problem is that he was an academy product that a lot of fans never thought would make it and don’t  want to be proven wrong. They are far more willing to pick up on every little thing they don’t like than actually think he’s having a fine season. That’s obvious in this thread and has been about every since he got his chance. You’d rather self fulfil your prophecy than actual get behind the players. 

Its exactly the same with Bennett, some of ya can’t handle that he became a dependable first team player. You can’t accept that top managers actually want to use them.

The problem isn’t with Roos or Bennett, it’s the butt hurt among us.

That’s a little bizarre. Surely his problem is that he can’t command his box, has poor decision making and makes the ball look like a buttered herring? Ironic cheers are pathetic and embarrassing; criticising him for obvious faults on a forum surely isn’t. 

Roos is not the perfect keeper, far from it.

But considering where we are right now, I don't understand the calls for a replacement.

What are we expecting from a goalkeeper at this level? There's always going to be some kind of trade-off. For the level we are at, we are always going to have a keeper with some holes in his game.

It's worth pointing out that we have five clean sheets from 17 league games, and only four teams have collected more clean sheets this season.

That would suggest that it's hardly a crisis, and certainly not worthy of a thread picking the lad apart.

4 hours ago, angieram said:

He's a rubbish goalkeeper

46 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

That’s a little bizarre. Surely his problem is that he can’t command his box, has poor decision making and makes the ball look like a buttered herring? Ironic cheers are pathetic and embarrassing; criticising him for obvious faults on a forum surely isn’t. 

I don’t see a problem when you have a keeper who has kept four clean sheets in the last four home games. My point is that fans had made their mind up on him a long time ago, and rather letting him play his football and gain experience, they want their opinion proven right. Some because they believe Carson was the best keeper we ever had whilst others think because he’s been around on the bench the last three years he will never make it. Again it’s the exact same thing with Bennett.

Have no issue with comments of ‘he bo***cksed that right up and he has to improve before he makes a huge error’, that’s a discussion...but threads like this and all this ‘replace him in January’ nonsense when hes kept four clean sheets in a row at home is a step too far and not helpful in the slightest. Aside the attempted catch first half and the punch in the second he had a good game yesterday, his distribution especially was top notch. 

If he was costing us points then his position in the team is a legitimate debate, but I need to reiterate we’ve kept four clean sheets in a row at home!

I have said before that these days many central defenders want their keepers to stay on the line. Interestingly our current skipper has said this very thing on rams TV. 

The consequence of this is that the keeper isn't going to be coming out to catch or even to punch most of the time. Saying that I think Kelle needs to be a bit braver but the stay on your line policy is not his decision. 

19 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Roos is not the perfect keeper, far from it.

But considering where we are right now, I don't understand the calls for a replacement.

What are we expecting from a goalkeeper at this level? There's always going to be some kind of trade-off. For the level we are at, we are always going to have a keeper with some holes in his game.

It's worth pointing out that we have five clean sheets from 17 league games, and only four teams have collected more clean sheets this season.

That would suggest that it's hardly a crisis, and certainly not worthy of a thread picking the lad apart.

This level is the next step to the Premier League, If you're happy to have a goalkeeper of the quality of Roos, Then this is the level we will stay at, The Championship this season is proberbly the weakest I've seen for a while, We're 5 points from the play offs, We've had an up and down season so far and to quote the financial institutions "I can see green shoots of recovery"

The opposition and our defence has had a big contribution to those clean sheets.

A crisis would be if we were in the bottom 3, We're not so there's no crisis, I'd sooner people get their comments about Roos on here off thier chests rather than at PP.

To quote one Brian Clough....you build from the back.

1 hour ago, Ruda Harliss said:

It’s almost as if he’s finally admitting to himself that catching isn’t his thing 

That made me lol. I had a vision of him attending an interbview and the interviewer saying.

'Right then, onto catching. What's your catching like?'

'It's not really my thing'

'I see, I see, not really your thing. Well, do you have big hands and a six pack, because that's almost as good'

6 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

If he was costing us points then his position in the team is a legitimate debate, but I need to reiterate we’ve kept four clean sheets in a row at home!

That is the classic mistake to make in any form of management whether it's sport or business. 

To look at a tiny statistical sample size and extrapolate that out to the big picture.

I doubt anybody will doubt his handling is poor. I wonder what effect that has on his defenders. Of course, I don't know the answer to that, none of us do. But whereas confidence breeds confidence it can be the other way round.

Kenny Dalglish was sat in front of me one time in B Stand. He'd apparently come to watch Phil Gee. All the Derby fans who knew were worried to death he'd swoop and take him to Liverpool because he was tearing it up at that stage.

Needless to say he didn't and Gee sadly went on the a career rooted in mediocrity. 

I know that's a random story that just popped into my head, but there's thousand of similar examples.

What great managers do (again throughout life not just sport), is they see problems and rectify them before they happen.

We got lucky with their disallowed goal yesterday and the guy blasting into the side netting towards the end. 

TBF, neither would have been Roos' fault (I don't think, I honestly cannot remember and not watched again), but I think the clean sheet is a straw man argument.

19 hours ago, RamNut said:

You can see him decide to come for a cross;

he looks as if he is making a decisive move;

then just at the critical moment, you can see the doubt flash across his face

he wonders whether Bob the Badger is relieving his prostate.....and he just loses it. 

It’s understandable.  

I’ve found that I now have the same problem just as i’m approaching a roundabout 

Put your phone away man whilst you're driving!

If Eamonn Andrews had presented him with  the red book, he would have punched it rather than taking it cleanly. To be fair to him he has made some very good saves/ blocks this season, but I’m still nervous when the ball is near him and can’t forget the howler v Villa.

Surely he can be coached to improve his catching ?

1 minute ago, hintonsboots said:

If Eamonn Andrews had presented him with  the red book, he would have punched it rather than taking it cleanly. To be fair to him he has made some very good saves/ blocks this season, but I’m still nervous when the ball is near him and can’t forget the howler v Villa.

Surely he can be coached to improve his catching ?

Half the posters are thinking who the duck is eamonn andrews

Archived