Cocu “don’t expect we are going to sign 3 or 4 players”

David

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Why aren't you oh so very full of yourself.

Take Nevez & Jota out the team that season and where do they finish? Take Nuno Gomez out of the equation and...?

I wasn't saying they haven't done some good deals, but they can't be used as a prime or particularly notable example of how good scouting brings success when in their promotion season they recorded losses of £57m having posted a profit 2 seasons earlier.

...especially when you consider the sort of player they wee looking to sign in the season before promotion, Andreas Weimann!

Not full of myself mate just reacting to your "whatever" comment so get over yourself ... whether or not you think Wolves is a good example or not pal our scouting is carp and that was the point i was making i could've used several clubs that have so called better scouting systems than ours but i just remembered that they had signed a few players I'd never heard of so was using that as an example....the point is DCFC scouts appear poor and thats the point ....the fact they blew a lot of money on players is nothing to do with my main point 

Is the problem not more with our attitude to recruitment as a whole as opposed to the actual scouting? 

The only rank-bad, nonsensical transfer window we had was 15/16 when we signed players that we just shouldn’t have gone anywhere near. Anybody involved in those two transfer windows do deserve criticising. It was so bad I mean it when I say I would have done a better job.

16/17 was Pearson signing players for an explosive 442, then McClaren signing players for a possession based 433. Pearson tried to change too much, too quickly. McClaren didn’t sign enough to change us back. 

17/18 was Rowett signing players for a defensive 4231. To do it cost effectively we had to go for older players. 

18/19 was Lampard signing players for a pressing 433. Still think we didn’t need both Waghorn and Marriott. My prediction was that one would do well and the other be a flop when in reality they’ve both only done alright.

This season it’s, ideally, a possession based 4231 again. Circumstance and injury has required a change of formation already.

We haven’t had a chance to pick out bargains because we’ve been too busy focussing on changing system every season. 

1 hour ago, S8TY said:

yeah because the super agent signed all of there cheaper finds didn't he lol.....Conor Coady from Liverpool and Leon Dendoncker from Anderlecht...initially on loan i think ...but yeah.....whatever!!!

Dendoncker was a full Belgian international and Coady was Huddersfield’s player of the year (as a midfielder).

Weren't we in for Ibe in the summer? I would be happy with him - he's not technically the most gifted footballer in the world, but he's an A1 flat-track bully. 

Plenty of average full-backs in this league he'd run into the ground. I think it would be a good move for all involved, personally. 

27 minutes ago, cannable said:

Dendoncker was a full Belgian international and Coady was Huddersfield’s player of the year (as a midfielder).

Had you heard of either when Wolves signed them though? still been astute signings and not cost millions as far as i know , maybe Wolves is not a great example from me lets say Norwich, Maddison was the best player i saw at PP season before last and Pukki ?? whether i've used great examples or not I don't think we recruit particularly well especially from abroad , not even a loan from abroad.

In Cloughs tenure we signed  Christie from Coventry and Bryson from Kilmarnock , Bucko and Brayford from Burton and Coutts from PNE were all good signings and some of them known to Clough mainly because we had no money probably but the scouting network now seems lack lustre to those days

9 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Had you heard of either when Wolves signed them though? still been astute signings and not cost millions as far as i know , maybe Wolves is not a great example from me lets say Norwich, Maddison was the best player i saw at PP season before last and Pukki ?? whether i've used great examples or not I don't think we recruit particularly well especially from abroad , not even a loan from abroad.

In Cloughs tenure we signed  Christie from Coventry and Bryson from Kilmarnock , Bucko and Brayford from Burton and Coutts from PNE were all good signings and some of them known to Clough mainly because we had no money probably but the scouting network now seems lack lustre to those days

We had Pukki on trial the year before he went to Norwich I believe. Can’t remember under which manager 

2 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

We had Pukki on trial the year before he went to Norwich I believe. Can’t remember under which manager 

I have no idea where this rumour is from but I can assure it is 100% of baalocks. 

Only Finnish striker we've had on trial was Riski. Similar name makes it easy mistake to make I guess. It happened under Clough, but nothing came out of it because he did have complicated contract at the time. And he ain't very good, I have to add.

Feel sorry for Cocu.

3 loan signings - Dowell has been poor, Paterson obviously didn't want to move here & now Clarke out injured for a while.

Huddlestone, Shinnie, Bennett, Malone have injury problems

Bogle & Holmes have missed games through injury

Jozefzoon has been invisible & we have a 'flappy' goalkeeper

Add to that the Joiners incident with Keogh out for the season & the circus surrounding it

I'd say that Cocu has done pretty well all things considered !!

46 minutes ago, europia said:

Yes, it's very disappointing as it more or less confirms we will not be pushing for the play offs.  

We're five points off the play-offs and having England's all time leading goalscorer joining us in one month.

Add a decent winger or two and a centre-half, maybe even a keeper, and we could be right up there.

See Fulham under Jokanovic and the introduction of Mitrovic! 

12 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

We're five points off the play-offs and having England's all time leading goalscorer joining us in one month.

Add a decent winger or two and a centre-half, maybe even a keeper, and we could be right up there.

See Fulham under Jokanovic and the introduction of Mitrovic! 

Yes, Mitrovic was the final piece in that Fulham jigsaw that saw them gain promotion. We would need more than a Mitrovic, no question. 

23 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Skybet have Derby:

11/1 top 6 finish

40/1 Promotion

250/1 League Winners

Ridiculous odds considering the league as it is and with us only being 5 points off the playoffs.

After the weekend performance, I buckled and put some cash on. Definitely worth a gamble at those odds.

We aint finishing in the Top 10!

Archived