Jump to content
David

Cocu “don’t expect we are going to sign 3 or 4 players”

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, dcfcfan1 said:

we will be miles adrift from top 6 anyway come jan

 

Pointless to panic sign

Define "miles".  (Please!)

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, SWRam said:

Likely true though.

 

January is just over a month away and we're 7 points off the playoffs. I don't think anyone will be miles off the top 6 come January except the current bottom 5.

Share this post


Link to post

Some cover at CB probably 

A quality winger, maybe

but beyond that:

Rooney .. yes

The Kids .. yes 

learning to play as a unit, Strikers getting form back, and dedicated practice, practice practice . Yes 
 

Top 10 a must, Playoffs a good target. Everything else is in the hands of the gods. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Define "miles".  (Please!)

I learnt it as 5 miles equals 8 kilometres. Not quite a definition but it’s always worked for me 😉

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, jono said:

 

Top 10 a must, Playoffs a good target. Everything else is in the hands of the gods. 

Tottenham have a similar philosophy I believe as long as you substitute Play offs with Europe 

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, SKRam said:

I learnt it as 5 miles equals 8 kilometres. Not quite a definition but it’s always worked for me 😉

Whereas I was of the understanding that 26.22 miles equals a Marathon (Or a Snickers, in today's parlance).

This is exactly the reason why I asked the poster to define just what he meant by "miles".  We need to know just how many many he was thinking!  😉

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, SKRam said:

Tottenham have a similar philosophy I believe as long as you substitute Play offs with Europe 

I wonder if that will change with the new master ? 

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, AdamRam said:

I’m struggling to name any signing that has been value for money over the past 5 years.

 

George Thorne - if not for injuries, we would probably be playing in the Premier League and he would be playing for England

Raul Albentosa - signed for £540k, sold for £700k

Cyrus Christe - signed for £100k, sold for £2.5m

Tom Ince - (top scorer) signed for £6m, sold for £8m

Matej Vydra - (top scorer) signed for £8m sold for £11m

David Nugent, Curtis Davies, Tom Huddlestone, Jack Marriott, Duane Holmes, all under £3m and have played roles in us reaching successive play off campaigns.

Now I'm not saying we have the best scouting department in the world but it's all a bit Football Manager to suggest that they are really awful and is probably based on the fact that we are not out signing players with exotic names, coupled with the signings of Johnson, Butterfield and Blackman, which it appears had nothing to do with the scouting department anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

George Thorne - if not for injuries, we would probably be playing in the Premier League and he would be playing for England

Raul Albentosa - signed for £540k, sold for £700k

Cyrus Christe - signed for £100k, sold for £2.5m

Tom Ince - (top scorer) signed for £6m, sold for £8m

Matej Vydra - (top scorer) signed for £8m sold for £11m

David Nugent, Curtis Davies, Tom Huddlestone, Jack Marriott, Duane Holmes, all under £3m and have played roles in us reaching successive play off campaigns.

Now I'm not saying we have the best scouting department in the world but it's all a bit Football Manager to suggest that they are really awful and is probably based on the fact that we are not out signing players with exotic names, coupled with the signings of Johnson, Butterfield and Blackman, which it appears had nothing to do with the scouting department anyway.

Thorne, albentosa, Christie, and ince all pre-dated the appointment of the current recruitment team.

davies and huddlestone seemed to be rowett buys

marriott and Holmes seemed to be personal selections by Lampard.

...that leaves nugent who was another England fringe player signed by mclaren.

Just sayin’.

 

Share this post


Link to post

George Thorne - if not for injuries, we would probably be playing in the Premier League and he would be playing for England

Raul Albentosa - signed for £540k, sold for £700k

Cyrus Christe - signed for £100k, sold for £2.5m

Tom Ince - (top scorer) signed for £6m, sold for £8m

Matej Vydra - (top scorer) signed for £8m sold for £11m

David Nugent, Curtis Davies, Tom Huddlestone, Jack Marriott, Duane Holmes, all under £3m and have played roles in us reaching successive play off campaigns.

Getting Chris Martin for free has to be Nigel Clough's best bit of business, in comparison with that lot

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

George Thorne - if not for injuries, we would probably be playing in the Premier League and he would be playing for England

Raul Albentosa - signed for £540k, sold for £700k

Cyrus Christe - signed for £100k, sold for £2.5m

Tom Ince - (top scorer) signed for £6m, sold for £8m

Matej Vydra - (top scorer) signed for £8m sold for £11m

David Nugent, Curtis Davies, Tom Huddlestone, Jack Marriott, Duane Holmes, all under £3m and have played roles in us reaching successive play off campaigns.

Now I'm not saying we have the best scouting department in the world but it's all a bit Football Manager to suggest that they are really awful and is probably based on the fact that we are not out signing players with exotic names, coupled with the signings of Johnson, Butterfield and Blackman, which it appears had nothing to do with the scouting department anyway.

Thorne did get injured though, he could have played for England is subjective, Christie was over 5 years ago, Albentosa a success - scraping barrel on that one, wages and the effort to get him over here would have offset any profit we made on that deal I expect.

Ince agree, Curtis and Huddlestone both wrong side of their careers and therefore more likely to pick up injuries, ok buys nothing more for me.
 

Holmes very good for the cash we paid, Marriott a success, interesting one and Illl reserve judgement until he has another season under his belt.

Not sure why you think I was having a go at recruitment team and going for exotic names, I haven’t got a scooby who was responsible for bringing players in over the past 5 years. I’d say the turnover of managers and different ideas / playing styles for me would be the root cause,  no player has had the time to flourish under the manager that signed them.

None of the above was my point though, which is that we are just as likely to get a bad buy in the summer as in January, regardless of who the manager or recruitment team is.

 

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, RamNut said:

Thorne, albentosa, Christie, and ince all pre-dated the appointment of the current recruitment team.

davies and huddlestone seemed to be rowett buys

marriott and Holmes seemed to be personal selections by Lampard.

...that leaves nugent who was another England fringe player signed by mclaren.

Just sayin’.

The poster said they couldn't remember any value for money signings in the last 5 years.

Do you have insight into our recruitment process or are you just guessing?

So who are the purchases that have been instigated by our current recruitment team that are so bad?

 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

George Thorne - if not for injuries, we would probably be playing in the Premier League and he would be playing for England

Raul Albentosa - signed for £540k, sold for £700k

Cyrus Christe - signed for £100k, sold for £2.5m

Tom Ince - (top scorer) signed for £6m, sold for £8m

Matej Vydra - (top scorer) signed for £8m sold for £11m

David Nugent, Curtis Davies, Tom Huddlestone, Jack Marriott, Duane Holmes, all under £3m and have played roles in us reaching successive play off campaigns.

Getting Chris Martin for free has to be Nigel Clough's best bit of business, in comparison with that lot

Didnt Cloughs recruitment regularly come in for criticism from our Football Managers though because he never looked beyond Scotland and his old players?

Think it kind of backs up the point that I was trying to make.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

The poster said they couldn't remember any value for money signings in the last 5 years.

Do you have insight into our recruitment process or are you just guessing?

So who are the purchases that have been instigated by our current recruitment team that are so bad?

 

The poster said they were struggling to name a player. Given you mentioned a player that was signed in 2014 and one that was pretty woeful in a Derby shirt I would say the struggling comment was pretty accurate.
 

Although I’d give you Vydra and Ince, so maybe it wasn’t as difficult as I made out 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
43 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

The poster said they were struggling to name a player. Given you mentioned a player that was signed in 2014 and one that was pretty woeful in a Derby shirt I would say the struggling comment was pretty accurate.
 

Although I’d give you Vydra and Ince, so maybe it wasn’t as difficult as I made out 🤔

My calendar must be wrong, as I thought 2014 was in the last 5 years 😳

I just went through all signings for the last 5 seasons to be fair.

In terms of value for money, I think there are 4 signings that were really bad...Johnson, Butterfield, Blackman and Anya.

Other signings have either been decent Championship signings or have had their money recouped on them.

Out of the 4 bad value for money signings I'm not sure any of them had anything to do with the recruitment team, although I have no evidence to back this up!

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

My calendar must be wrong, as I thought 2014 was in the last 5 years 😳

I just went through all signings for the last 5 seasons to be fair.

In terms of value for money, I think there are 4 signings that were really bad...Johnson, Butterfield, Blackman and Anya.

Other signings have either been decent Championship signings or have had their money recouped on them.

Out of the 4 bad value for money signings I'm not sure any of them had anything to do with the recruitment team, although I have no evidence to back this up!

5 years ago today was 30th November 2014 I believe, I’m no accountant though so could be wrong 🤔 

As I said, I have no idea who is behind recruitment, I just think in the last 5 years we haven’t really pulled a gem out of the bag with our signings, you will always get good and bad signings at any club, just think the bad outweighs the good, hopefully some of the recent recruits will turn this tide.

Share this post


Link to post

Two ten million quid players on loan to buy plus Roonaceous the Roon and we are in with a very good chance of something or other.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.