Corinthians F.C.

King Kevin

Film on TV tonight regarding the history of this club ,some really fascinating facts about how they took football to Brazil and other parts of the world .They fulfilled  a  a tour in 2015 which should have taken place in 1914.The ship was on it's way to Brazil when war broke out and they turned back .Over a 160 members of the football club were subsequently killed in the war .Could be a good watch.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

16 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

Film on TV tonight regarding the history of this club ,some really fascinating facts about how they took football to Brazil and other parts of the world .They fulfilled  a  a tour in 2015 which should have taken place in 1914.The ship was on it's way to Brazil when war broke out and they turned back .Over a 160 members of the football club were subsequently killed in the war .Could be a good watch.

Thx for that, which channel ? 

Just read about them very interesting, I only knew about the Brazilian team.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corinthian_F.C.

18 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

What's the story behind that then Andy?

The club was famed for its ethos of "sportsmanship, fair play, [and] playing for the love of the game".[4] 'Corinthian Spirit, still understood as the highest standard of sportsmanship, is often associated with the side. This spirit was famously summed up in their attitude to penalties; "As far as they were concerned, a gentleman would never commit a deliberate foul on an opponent. So, if a penalty was awarded against the Corinthians, their goalkeeper would stand aside, lean languidly on the goalpost and watch the ball being kicked into his own net. If the Corinthians themselves won a penalty, their captain took a short run-up and gave the ball a jolly good whack, chipping it over the crossbar

Isnt it Corinthians who were threatened with relegation and the Brazil FA put in a mid season rule change that said any team who had won the championship could not get relegated

2 hours ago, Squid said:

Gender assumption? Brothers in Football?!?!?

Should be called "Siblings in football" although that may still wind up some snowflakes.

on a side note, my daughter is currently insisting on being referred to in gender neutral terms. So I called her a drama monarch and she flounced off in an enormous huff.

Finally got around to watching this last night.  A fascinating watch.  I knew a lot less about this story than I thought I did!

Those guys who eventually went over there were living the dream for all amateur players everywhere, and I'm sure those memories will stay with them forever.
And what a delightful thing to do, putting the names on the back of the shirts, of the guys who missed out 100 years previously, who never got the opportunity to go back there and finish what they started!

Yer see... The game can still be beautiful! 

10/10 from me.

Archived