Cocu interview - Long term vision for the club

Sean

His passion & commitment is palpable, if we do not embrace what he is offering then, as a club, we will be the worst for it. Not aware of many (any) others in English football at the moment who share his philosophy as the trend is for immediate results. If this is the ‘Derby way’ them I’m in!!!!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Gisby said:

His passion & commitment is palpable, if we do not embrace what he is offering then, as a club, we will be the worst for it. Not aware of many (any) others in English football at the moment who share his philosophy as the trend is for immediate results. If this is the ‘Derby way’ them I’m in!!!!

At the moment,  on a bigger scale, Chelsea seem similar in terms of promoting youth to the first team, but over recent seasons their model has been quite different and even now I think they see their development program as being about cash generation first and foremost. 

I'm not worried at the moment about first team results, this really is that season of transition that we've been talking about for so many years. I just hope however that the first team players are capable of implementing his style for long enough to enable the long term plan to kick in.

13 minutes ago, richinspain said:

I'm not worried at the moment about first team results, this really is that season of transition that we've been talking about for so many years. I just hope however that the first team players are capable of implementing his style for long enough to enable the long term plan to kick in.

Never buy into 'transition' seasons. I'm afraid football is just too short term these days.

What is your idea of transition?

Is it getting players to play how he wants to play?

Think we are seeing that there are quite a few not up to it, which surely means a clear out and another season of transition?

This is the here and now. We all know that this thread and the interview will be forgotten in the coming months and people will return to calling him out at the very first lapse.

So I suggest that the admin guys pin this as a reminder of where we are going.

Hopefully quell the mass hysteria when things don't go the right way.

16 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Never buy into 'transition' seasons. I'm afraid football is just too short term these days.

Think we are seeing that there are quite a few not up to it, which surely means a clear out and another season of transition?

I don't think this is a transition season tbh, I think it's a full transition that will take many seasons. He'll need time to develop the kids for the 1st team and bring in the right players to compliment them. He also needs to get rid of the players we already have that just cannot do what he wants. I don't buy into the " a good manager will adapt his system to the players he has", that may work short term, ( Warnock ), long term it's proven not to work.

He needs 2-4 seasons and then I think we'll be a prem side that's capable of holding our own.

7 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

I don't think this is a transition season tbh, I think it's a full transition that will take many seasons. He'll need time to develop the kids for the 1st team and bring in the right players to compliment them. He also needs to get rid of the players we already have that just cannot do what he wants. I don't buy into the " a good manager will adapt his system to the players he has", that may work short term, ( Warnock ), long term it's proven not to work.

He needs 2-4 seasons and then I think we'll be a prem side that's capable of holding our own.

I'm fine with that.

I go to watch DCFC no matter what, exciting football is a bonus and results, well its nice to win but I don't lose much sleep if we lose!

How would you react to someone who thought we should get a Warnock type figure in to get us promoted and then start the rebuild once we have taken our share of Premiership riches?

The way he goes so in depth when talking about the youth academy and the steps up to the first team is really promising to see, you can see that his heart is with the club and he really wants to build something here.

Never been so confident in a manager.

52 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'm fine with that.

I go to watch DCFC no matter what, exciting football is a bonus and results, well its nice to win but I don't lose much sleep if we lose!

How would you react to someone who thought we should get a Warnock type figure in to get us promoted and then start the rebuild once we have taken our share of Premiership riches?

I'm the same, of course i want us to win but I don't let it ruin my weekend/life if we lose. Must be my age ?.

Opinions are fine and if someone wanted a warnock type in then that's ok, I wouldn't slate them for wanting that. I just feel doing it that way has proven more times than not to be unsuccessful. Keane, Pulis, Warnock, Bruce, Davies to name a few.

We all want exciting, winning football but that's not reality unless your Liverpool or Man city.

In this league, with our set of players (at the moment) your going to win a few and lose a few. I just don't think all our players are capable, mentally or physically to achieve what cocu wants so they have to be moved on and players brought in and youngsters moved up that can.

This will take more than 1 or 2 seasons imo, but I still think we're good enough to compete for a top 6 place.

12 hours ago, Needlesh said:

Loving it. We need to chill on the outrage when we lose a game or two. Let this guy do his work. We'll be pleased we did, I'm sure.

Be nice wouldn’t it? 

I’ll stop there because if I don’t, will turn into a full on rant which I’m due but trying to be good ?

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Totally disagree. A clear out shouldn't be necessary with a number of bit-part players' contracts up this summer, opening the way for opportunities to be claimed by the U23s and then maybe 2 or 3 quality additions in the summer who better fit the system Cocu wants to use.

No doubt there will be a relatively small number of fans who insist, as if by right, that we must have success but every club has them. Unfortunately if things aren't going to plan in the early stages of a managers tenure then it's their voices which tend to get the ear of the media.

11 hours ago, plymouthram said:

Southampton did, a few years back. Trouble is with them though, they got to the Prem League and then started selling all their best players.

Unforeseen events - the owner unexpectedly died and the funding model changed. Thats the breaks sometimes - Leicesters owner unexpectedly died but the dynasty and the model carried on. The same wasn't the case for Southampton.

Shame really - it also highlights the need for good succession planning as much of their youth success was down to Les Reed and when he retired the new crew were not as good.

I think this is what Mel has wanted to implement in the past but has never had the right manager in place. Lampard I think would have had this in the back of his mind but his first year was all about learning the job although his philosophy is probably similar to Cocu. 

To hear Cocu talk in this way is refreshing because Derby County shouldnt just be about the first team, its every age group that trains and plays for the club. 

We'll always get supporters who want instant success and will try to be the loudest when results don't go our way and try to shoot the club and manager down. The real supporters need to drown them out and keep them quiet when things aren't quite going to plan.

2-3 years this will take and I'm ready to sit back and watch Derby grow from this philosophy. I'm also enjoying watching the U23s and U18s more and this is something each supporter should do. Try and get to at least 2 or 3 of these games a season and give the lads your support, this will help them when transitioning to the first team. 

1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

Totally disagree. A clear out shouldn't be necessary with a number of bit-part players' contracts up this summer, opening the way for opportunities to be claimed by the U23s and then maybe 2 or 3 quality additions in the summer who better fit the system Cocu wants to use.

No doubt there will be a relatively small number of fans who insist, as if by right, that we must have success but every club has them. Unfortunately if things aren't going to plan in the early stages of a managers tenure then it's their voices which tend to get the ear of the media.

Performances to me would indicate that we have numerous players that are struggling to adapt to the way Cocu plays, although I think maybe there has been a slight upturn in recent weeks.

Hope you're right about the promotion of some of our younger players.

All of this positive talk on this thread is hugely refreshing.

Its about time most fans realised that the way to success is long term.

We've tried and tested splashing the cash and trying to get promoted in the short term - We all know how that went.

There will always be a few who expect promotion at the start at the season and expect to see instant impacts of a new manager.

But its awesome to see that a most of us understand the points that PCoc's making.

We will hugely reap the rewards of taking our time... Patience can always be difficult, however its what we need.

We have premier league quality training facilities, we have an incredible youth set-up.

The way we are going at the moment we are thinking about longevity which is great to see.

Put it this way, would you rather us spend a shedload of money with the chance of getting promoted, and even then, once promoted having to spend so much money just to try and avoid relegation.

Take a look at Fulham last year, for example. Spent over £100 million in the prem, came straight back down, lost quite a few players and its safe to say they aren't doing as great as we expected.

Taking our time with this, Implementing the correct philosophy to benefit us for the next 10 or so years, is the key to success.

We can build and build and get behind what Cocu is wanting to do at this club, and we will see the rewards.

It gives us much more of a chance of eventually gaining promotion and establishing ourselves.

Stay positive, keep the optimism and the faith, we will eventually get there and when we do, it will be sweet.

Archived