• 1 month later...
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rynny said:

high five the office GIF

nixons a fudster anyway

25 minutes ago, Srg said:

Someone suggested him on that thread yesterday... literally mental he's 29. I presumed he was like 23 or something.

honestly thought he was 21 and was going to say we should sign him

Target men are totally different breed than other footballers. It's not rare to have best years way over 30 when your understanding of the game is better than ever and mentality on the level with demands of the role. Howard and Grant Holt are both prime examples.

On 08/01/2020 at 17:10, ramboy63 said:

Harsh

That’s what I thought! Waghorn has 8 goals and missed two penalties!!( grrr!) Marriott has two goals,always gets an injury and been ignored by two managers( one who signed him!) but keeps being described as our best striker!? I know which one of the two is the journeyman.

2 hours ago, nogbad van 50 said:

That’s what I thought! Waghorn has 8 goals and missed two penalties!!( grrr!) Marriott has two goals,always gets an injury and been ignored by two managers( one who signed him!) but keeps being described as our best striker!? I know which one of the two is the journeyman.

Waghorn's performance today completely disproves your point. Very poor first touch, doesn't possess the physicality his stature suggests and his finishing is hit and miss. Martin is a better target man and Marriott is a better finisher, I struggle to name what Waghorn offers that other options don't. This must be part of the reason he's constantly shunted onto the right wing. I really like the bloke but he's not offering enough currently, for me. 

Since Rooney has come in, there seems to be a far greater emphasis on long balls and diagonal passing, this also suits Marriott's game to a tee which is why most would like to see him fit enough to get a solid run of games because it's obvious his pace, combined with his prowess for finding the net can be lethal at this level, with the right service. 

7 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Waghorn's performance today completely disproves your point. Very poor first touch, doesn't possess the physicality his stature suggests and his finishing is hit and miss. Martin is a better target man and Marriott is a better finisher, I struggle to name what Waghorn offers that other options don't. This must be part of the reason he's constantly shunted onto the right wing. I really like the bloke but he's not offering enough currently, for me. 

Since Rooney has come in, there seems to be a far greater emphasis on long balls and diagonal passing, this also suits Marriott's game to a tee which is why most would like to see him fit enough to get a solid run of games because it's obvious his pace, combined with his prowess for finding the net can be lethal at this level, with the right service. 

We’ll agree to disagree then! I’d agree that Martin’s a better target man and has a better touch than Waghorn or Marriott.As for  Marriott being “ a better finisher” I’ll believe it when I see it! Marriott misses good chances and up goes the cry that he needs more games to “ build his confidence!” Waghorn misses and he’s a donkey, according to some.Lampard signed both and preferred Waghorn,it appears Cocu feels the same way.I’m not ecstatic about all three of them but if you amalgamated their strengths then you’d get a reasonable forward! Everyone knows we need new central defenders ,a goalkeeper and a winger but that centre forward spot will be a tough one to fill as they’re not easy to find or cheap!?

Archived