Hit and run and police procedure

jono

I wonder if anyone has any info on how it works ?

my nephew was knocked off his bike. All ok but he was lucky. Helmet trashed, handle bars skewed, lots of cuts and nasty abrasions, swollen leg and a visit to A + E. but he’s whole and recovering. Beyond a bit of a shock no long term damage. 

There was a witness, they have a reg number of the car and indeed it was seen locally by the same witness later on parked in a residential area.

The police say the car is registered in Leeds (Nephew lives in Luton, so Beds police ) they take no action for 7 days because that’s how long he has to report and produce docs. The latest news is that 10 days on the only steps plod has taken is to send “enquiries” to York’s police. 

To me it sounds a bit slow and not exactly proactive given it could have been pretty serious And the vehicle has been identified. Does anyone else have knowledge or experience of something like this ?. I want to advise nephew sensibly rather than being an outraged daily mail ranting bar room barrister. 

Cheers 

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The police won't let it go. Leaving the scene of an accident is a very serious offence. 

I am surprised a visit has not been paid to the registered address though. I don't blame you for being frustrated. 

I can't offer any advice around this as i dont know however if you haven’t done so already it could be worth speaking to your home insurer, or at least your brother / sisters as its quite possible that they have some legal protection built into it which could help with advice or even making a claim.

Hope your nephew feel ls better soon, good thing he was wearing a helmet, a good example to those that don't.

Archived