A Rooney concern I think is unwarranted

Bob The Badger

There have been a few people who seem to be concerned that because he's so great at passing into the space where players should be making runs, that he'll be 'too good'.

That he'll be hitting the ball into spaces devoid of Derby players who aren't football smart or savvy enough to know what he's up to.

This rationale is lost on me because great players are great players. 

And it would suggest the lower down the ladder he goes the less effective he'd be.

He'll raise the game of others, not make them look stupid. At least that is what he's done with DC from what I have seen.

Plus, he gives us the dead ball option that we lost when Mount and Wilson left.

I'm excited about him joining and can only see him making us a significantly better team.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

There have been a few people who seem to be concerned that because he's so great at passing into the space where players should be making runs, that he'll be 'too good'.

That he'll be hitting the ball into spaces devoid of Derby players who aren't football smart or savvy enough to know what he's up to.

I think it's cos so very often Huddlestone seems to be doing that

However - It's different further up the pitch (IMO) - We saw Mount last season and Hughes (way) before that who create space and time in the final third which no other player seemed capable of - That's what Rooney will do too

From what I saw of the under 23s against Leeds last week, Sibley especially, an imaginative and skilled midfielder can never have a detrimental effect on a team by being too good!

The only time this argument has ever held water is in the maxim "If something seems too good to be true it probably is!"

No team is too good to be relegated. Lots of teams have proved that.

No group is too good for the charts. Eric Clapton once said 'that's just someone's way of saying they don't like our music!"

No footballing genius has ever been too good for the team. Just watch Zlatan destroy England single handedly!

1 hour ago, Brummie Steve said:

From what I saw of the under 23s against Leeds last week, Sibley especially, an imaginative and skilled midfielder can never have a detrimental effect on a team by being too good!

The only time this argument has ever held water is in the maxim "If something seems too good to be true it probably is!"

No team is too good to be relegated. Lots of teams have proved that.

No group is too good for the charts. Eric Clapton once said 'that's just someone's way of saying they don't like our music!"

No footballing genius has ever been too good for the team. Just watch Zlatan destroy England single handedly!

England Steve ? You mean Ryan Shawcross, Steven Caulker and Leon Osman. 

Still, can only play whats in front of you and I was there. Urghh. The tears. The pain. 

8 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Loen osman was hell of a player and wanted stay at Derby.

My only concearn of roony is leg speed in those legs no doubt he is hell of talented player but also heated situations can lose his cool.

Osman was great,  not sure it was ever stated he wanted to stay though 

He’ll either displace Lawrence from the no 10, or he’ll displace Martin from no 9, or he’ll displace Marriott. My guess is that Lawrence will be back on the wing.

A team is a unit, it's cohesion relies on all of it's players understanding their roles and being on the same page, so yes, i think there is such a thing as being too skillful for a team.

Eiður Guðjohnsen was by far the most skillful player in the Icelandic national team and the team cohesion suffered as a result, for some time at least, until others somewhat caught up with him, but by his sheer presence he created a need for other players to raise their game. In that way, Eiður was an invaluable asset to the side, even if his influence did not come fully into effect until later.  Gylfi Sigurðsson is the most skillful player in the current national squad, but the difference in quality between him and the other players is less than it was in the case of Eiður and instead of holding the team temporarily back, he compliments a group of other skillful players.

i think Rooney will be more like Gylfi for us

Great thing about players like Rooney is that they know what they're going to do before they've done it. It's kind of what we've been missing. Rooney will make a pass and then he's off getting into a good space for the next pass. Our players don't do enough of that at the moment, it's too static off the ball. Only really clever players can do it effectively though

Archived