Steve Bloomer's Washing

SBW Meets: Craig Bryson

5 hours ago, David said:

Do like when asked on the importance of Chris Martin back in the day, Bryson talked about Eustace being the key player as it allowed them to play.

Massively underrated player for us, no fancy name with a foreign passport, just your typical follicly challenged Englishman that did the dirty work. Player we struggled without at the time.

Reminds me a bit of Chris Baird, just not fashionable, won’t sell any shirts with his name on, just does his job.

Kindred spirits there, David...?! 😉

On 18/11/2019 at 18:30, RoyMac5 said:

What did he say, and how could you take it seriously from a man that thought Pearson would have got it right?! 🤣

That was the oddest part for me because I genuinely think we would have been heading for a relegation scrap with Pearson. His managerial tenure was just completely calamitous, with almost every decision made being the wrong one.

20 hours ago, brady1993 said:

That was the oddest part for me because I genuinely think we would have been heading for a relegation scrap with Pearson. His managerial tenure was just completely calamitous, with almost every decision made being the wrong one.

I hated him the whole time he was here. Well, no, that's too strong, but i didn't think his was the direction to go at all after the ups n downs of the DazWaz team it was like lets keep the bad stuff and junk everything we did that was good. Had we persevered, we'd probably have at least become competent at being a team doing that 4-4-2 run up the pitch really really fast (butters....) on the counter but to go from expansive, buccaneering, dynamic, inventive team that could flop from time to time but could also give spells of wonderful football to "no, junk that, 4-4-2, counter...was heartbreaking. It ruined any chance of building and evolving that team before going to Rowett who was at least good at being what he is.

I can suck up building for Cocu because I think we'll build something worthwhile when we get there, i never felt that with Pearson. But, hey, we did keep it real with Chris Wheel.

36 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I hated him the whole time he was here. Well, no, that's too strong, but i didn't think his was the direction to go at all after the ups n downs of the DazWaz team it was like lets keep the bad stuff and junk everything we did that was good. Had we persevered, we'd probably have at least become competent at being a team doing that 4-4-2 run up the pitch really really fast (butters....) on the counter but to go from expansive, buccaneering, dynamic, inventive team that could flop from time to time but could also give spells of wonderful football to "no, junk that, 4-4-2, counter...was heartbreaking. It ruined any chance of building and evolving that team before going to Rowett who was at least good at being what he is.

I can suck up building for Cocu because I think we'll build something worthwhile when we get there, i never felt that with Pearson. But, hey, we did keep it real with Chris Wheel.

I agree with your sentiment entirely, thing is though I don't even think we would have become that competent counter attacking side. I had the distinct impression he didn't even really know how to get his own system to work properly. We were deploying Hughes and Bryson as essentially defensive midfielders, Butterfield on the wing and having both strikers looking to run in behind leaving a cavernous gap of space in midfield. 

Now i disliked Rowett but he was essentially Nigel Pearson from tactically standpoint but actually competent and with a clearer vision of what he wanted. 

I agree about Cocu though, I think what he's ultimately trying to build towards long term is what I think pretty much most of the fan base wants; attractive passing football with a focus on bringing players through the academy in order to achieve sustainable success. What gives me hope that he can do it is that he's done it before with PSV and whilst I can certainly understand other people's frustration at the season so far, I think it could be well worthwhile being patient.

@RadioactiveWaste I've been given this some thought because I'm bored at work and I do think Pearson's tactics could have worked with squad he inherited (if he could actually see the forest for the trees). With zero transfers he could have played the following.

Carson

Baird Keogh Shackell Forsyth

Russell Hendrick Johnson Hughes 

Ince 

Weimann

It wouldn't have been pretty but the above could have probably formed cohesive counter attacking side.

On 19/11/2019 at 13:57, David said:

Do like when asked on the importance of Chris Martin back in the day, Bryson talked about Eustace being the key player as it allowed them to play.

Massively underrated player for us, no fancy name with a foreign passport, just your typical follicly challenged Englishman that did the dirty work. Player we struggled without at the time.

Reminds me a bit of Chris Baird, just not fashionable, won’t sell any shirts with his name on, just does his job.

Remember lots of people having meltdowns when we bought in Eustace, even after he had bossed a game against us at Watford previously. Great signing.

loved the interview and there is definitely something sad about the last of that generation of players leaving the club now. I'm actually amazed we haven't achieved promotion given the talent we've had around. The one bit i'd disagree with Bryson on is Pearson the guy was a calamity from beginning to end and i'm not convinced we'd have finished above 19th with him in charge. I still remember in horror a lot of those home games.