SBW Meets: Craig Bryson

We've got another Rams interview to get everyone through the international break. Craig Bryson joined us to reflect on his 276 games in a Rams shirt. He told us:

- Which Rams boss he enjoyed playing for most.

- His best Rams memories and favourite goal he scored (it wasnt against Forest).

- The Derby manager he 'didn't see eye-to-eye with'

- His thoughts on retirement... and how he qualified as a personal trainer 'when he was bored in Cardiff'.

Hope you enjoy it.

https://soundcloud.com/user-147200653/sbw-meets-craig-bryson

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Ilsonram12 said:

Interesting on the mclaren fall out after the play off final, good listen

46 minutes ago, Saffy van der Ram said:

Enjoyed that, thanks. Very interesting re McClaren.

Interesting too that he thought that Pearson would have got it right had he been given time. Although he did acknowledge that owd blockhead tried to change the formation too quickly. 

16 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Interesting too that he thought that Pearson would have got it right had he been given time. Although he did acknowledge that owd blockhead tried to change the formation too quickly. 

Oh dear, that tarnishes the gloss a bit! ?

Got alot of time for Bryso.... Very good listen as well ? 

I can add the reason for the song though (already popped on here before mind so nothing new) ...

So it was a Tuesday night and we were on our minibus heading to Ipswich. God knows what year but must of been around 2012/2013 or something like that. He was becoming a bit of a ledge so we needed a song for him so we came up with one. 

Haggis was included because he was scottish and it rhymed (so original eh!)

Jager was included because the year previously I met a few of them in town after the players awards and we had some jaeger. He sunk them as I did and I got ridic drunk, you know that feeling when you leave the club and your head is spinning, I was that bad haha! So yeah, thats the whole Jager link and why it was included in the song.

Sent it him on the way to Ipswich (bbm - remember them days lol) and then we just went for it all game with that song and ever since then its stuck. It is worth noting that it did get slightly changed over the years as the start and ending should have been ... His name is Craig Brysoooon, his name is Craaig Brysoooon ..... He's scottish............

Really good lad and would love to see him back involved with Derby in a fitness role.

32 minutes ago, Steve Bloomer's Washing said:

Yeah I probably could/should have pushed him further on McClaren tbh. Didn't see that answer coming! 

Appreciate we could've also asked more about Warnock and Cardiff, but hopefully the rest of it made up for it.

What did he say, and how could you take it seriously from a man that thought Pearson would have got it right?! ?

3 hours ago, Steve Bloomer's Washing said:

Yeah I probably could/should have pushed him further on McClaren tbh. Didn't see that answer coming! 

Appreciate we could've also asked more about Warnock and Cardiff, but hopefully the rest of it made up for it.

Sure, to be fair you did go back to the McLaren issue.  So strange that he communicates effectively as a coach but not about other matters. 

It was a great interview and personally I found it helpful to mark the end of his time with us like this.  Once the legalities are dealt with, do give Keogh a call so we can grieve properly.

Thanks for this interview. It was a great listen and I agree with @therealhantsram that it's so much better that you asked the questions that we as fans would want to know the answers to. I know you probably deliberately avoided using the word legend but we have been very lucky indeed to have Craig Bryson at our club for the last eight years. Went by in a flash!

Brings home how little I am relating to our current batch of players at the moment relative to previous seasons though and that makes me a little sad until I think of the young prospects we have in the academy. I hope Louie Sibley can be our next Craig Bryson - we certainly need one!

Do like when asked on the importance of Chris Martin back in the day, Bryson talked about Eustace being the key player as it allowed them to play.

Massively underrated player for us, no fancy name with a foreign passport, just your typical follicly challenged Englishman that did the dirty work. Player we struggled without at the time.

Reminds me a bit of Chris Baird, just not fashionable, won’t sell any shirts with his name on, just does his job.

49 minutes ago, David said:

Do like when asked on the importance of Chris Martin back in the day, Bryson talked about Eustace being the key player as it allowed them to play.

Massively underrated player for us, no fancy name with a foreign passport, just your typical follicly challenged Englishman that did the dirty work. Player we struggled without at the time.

Reminds me a bit of Chris Baird, just not fashionable, won’t sell any shirts with his name on, just does his job.

"he just stayed in the middle of park, didn't go anywhere, and committed professional fouls". 

Great quote from bryso. ?

Archived