Sheffield weds charged for ground sale

bimmerman

7 minutes ago, rynny said:

From everything I have read, the transfer date falls within the ffp/p&s end date for the same period. I would imagine it will be the same date, or very close to it. 

This is where Sheff Wed have messed up, they have "sold" their ground in the 18/19 season but put it in their accounts for the 17/18 season. 

On closer inspection what seems to have happened is as follows:-

1 - Company year end was 31st May 2018

2 - On 26 June 2018 ground was sold (this is my guess not fact)

3 - On 27 February 2019 the company year end was retrospectively changed to 31 July 2018 so as to include the profit from the sale of the ground

Based on this it would look like the EFL are querying the year end being changed to get the profit into the 2018 accounts.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, rynny said:

From everything I have read, the transfer date falls within the ffp/p&s end date for the same period. I would imagine it will be the same date, or very close to it. 

This is where Sheff Wed have messed up, they have "sold" their ground in the 18/19 season but put it in their accounts for the 17/18 season. 

And interesting is the reported fact that he is buying it over an 8 year period - the be fair to the Sheffield Wednesday fans they seem to have an owner who either has or has not got any actual money ? as they are on the hook for everything he has apparently put in which I believe to be around £75 million - who knows how his control of them will pan out but I would be very worried if I was one of them but I am not and I have reassurance that we are currently owned by a local man who genuinely cares about the club and it’s future.

10 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

And interesting is the reported fact that he is buying it over an 8 year period - the be fair to the Sheffield Wednesday fans they seem to have an owner who either has or has not got any actual money ? as they are on the hook for everything he has apparently put in which I believe to be around £75 million - who knows how his control of them will pan out but I would be very worried if I was one of them but I am not and I have reassurance that we are currently owned by a local man who genuinely cares about the club and it’s future.

It looks to me like the club owe him £77m but he owes them £52m for the ground.

29 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Pretty much, but where is the actual cash? 

Its tied up in lawsuits pertaining to copyright with respect to Wednesday fans song production which has been unrepentantly ripped off by some of the greats of music as well as other fans.

Think of a song. Any song. Wednesday fans wrote it. From "yesterday" to  closer" by nine inch nails, a tango tinged tubby songsmith from South yorkshire penned it.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Decided to stop being lazy and do some research myself.

Accounts were signed off very late this year (July instead of April).

Legal charge over the ground was released on 25 June 2018, cant be bothered to pay £3 to see if this is the date the transfer took place on Land Registry records.

Accounts do not say who the ground was sold to. Does not mention the sale in related party transactions or transactions with directors. 

The accounts have been audited and, for a transaction of this size, there must have been evidence that it was being recorded in the correct year or the audit report would have been qualified.

So you stopped being lazy, but decided to remain a tight git!

3 hours ago, Van Cone De Head said:

Hi ho points deduction!

You're everywhere and nowhere Wendy, did you not pay tax?,

Going down a bumpy hillside, ffp is max,

Flying across the country, your accountant’s lax,

Saying everything is groovy, when your tires are flat

And it's high ho points deduction, League one you’ll go now Wendy,

I see your owl is crying

And we don’t give a toss, though it's obvious…

10 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Going from memory here but I think this was announced in March of this year but when I checked Land Registry records it had happened 9 months before, which would have been June 2018. Not certain on my dates but will check later.

And why wasn’t it announced?

21 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

You're everywhere and nowhere Wendy, did you not pay tax?,

Going down a bumpy hillside, ffp is max,

Flying across the country, your accountant’s lax,

Saying everything is groovy, when your tires are flat

And it's high ho points deduction, League one you’ll go now Wendy,

I see your owl is crying

And we don’t give a toss, though it's obvious…

I’ve just done a rendition of it and it didn’t go well...the Blades enjoyed it.

On 15/11/2019 at 15:54, G STAR RAM said:

On closer inspection what seems to have happened is as follows:-

1 - Company year end was 31st May 2018

2 - On 26 June 2018 ground was sold (this is my guess not fact)

3 - On 27 February 2019 the company year end was retrospectively changed to 31 July 2018 so as to include the profit from the sale of the ground

Based on this it would look like the EFL are querying the year end being changed to get the profit into the 2018 accounts.

Isn’t this bit odd?   Most clubs appear to have ye May or June.  I wonder how anybody could justify July?  If they had gone to end of June well ok but July?  Starting to be a little concerned.

1 hour ago, Spanish said:

Isn’t this bit odd?   Most clubs appear to have ye May or June.  I wonder how anybody could justify July?  If they had gone to end of June well ok but July?  Starting to be a little concerned.

That is Sheff Wed I am talking about not DCFC. We have a June year end. 

4 minutes ago, Spanish said:

sorry

No need for apologies.

Like you say (Richard Keogh style) it seems weird that Sheff Wed moved their year end to July when everyone else is May/June year end, and coincidentally I'm sure, the year end move helped them get the profit on the sale of the ground into their accounts!

If I remember correctly, the sale of our ground was around the same time, wonder if they got wind of it and decided to copy us?

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

No need for apologies.

Like you say (Richard Keogh style) it seems weird that Sheff Wed moved their year end to July when everyone else is May/June year end, and coincidentally I'm sure, the year end move helped them get the profit on the sale of the ground into their accounts!

If I remember correctly, the sale of our ground was around the same time, wonder if they got wind of it and decided to copy us?

exactly my view when I misread.  Looks and probably is very dodgy.  Hard to see any other reason than the one that is obvious

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

No need for apologies.

I wondered when nothing was said at the fan's forum and a few days later the news was broke, if it was to not give the option for others to do the same (this with hindsight obviously, not at the time ?)

Archived