It's only bloody CHRISTMAS ADVERT TIME AGAIN!!! ?

Parsnip

We absolutely love Northern Hemisphere's Christmas to New Year Period having been there 3 times in the last 5 years. Love the Christmas ads especially the Heathrow ones, coming home in the dark after work and going to Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park for a drink and dinner in the FestHaus, being in Norway for Christmas Eve/Day and having actual snow falling, being in Edinburgh for Hogmany and then be crazy enough to jump in the water at Queensferry for LoonyDook the next morning.

Compare that to getting up at 5.00 in the morning to 30c and bright sunlight and wondering if it will get to 37c by lunchtime just in time for the roast, having to get on the turps at 7.00am because you are sweating that much and then having a roaring thunderstorm come through and the house get hit by lighting that blows power points out of the walls and fries anything hooked up (True Story!).

By the way, our shops have given up on the festive seasons and now sell mince pies and hot cross buns all year round.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 15/11/2019 at 10:28, SchtivePesley said:

I don't get it - who watches these Christmas adverts and thinks "that's it....THIS year we're buying all our presents from John Lewis because they have the cutesiest advert"??

I kind of enjoy them as an art form - but are they advertising value for money?

Adverts work on a subliminal level.  Repeat something, anything really, often enough and it gets nailed into the noggin of those unaware of how it works.  Most people if asked will deny making purchases based on advertising and yet they do.  Quite devious really.

I've spent the last couple of days humming "Can't fight this feeling" to myself!  It's stuck in my bloody head!

I've just had to Google what store the advert is for.  I'm not sure I have ever been in a John Lewis Store before, and not even certain we have one here in Derby(?).

I also doubt I'll be setting fire to the Xmas pud either, seeing as we've never bothered doing that before!

I would like a pet dragon though, if anyone knows where to get one from!  (Real of course... none of these bloody cuddly toy fads that many folk seem to find irresistible!)

3 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

I've just had to Google what store the advert is for.  I'm not sure I have ever been in a John Lewis Store before, and not even certain we have one here in Derby(?).

We don't have a John Lewis store in Derby, nearest ones Nottingham.

Although its a good store I vowed to never shop there again after my uncle was dismissed for being too old (49!!!)

3 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

My favourite department store. They are everywhere (except Derby). I'm fortunate because there's a big store just 4 tube stops away and the main store in Oxford Street. 

43 minutes ago, Squid said:

We don't have a John Lewis store in Derby, nearest ones Nottingham.

Although its a good store I vowed to never shop there again after my uncle was dismissed for being too old (49!!!)

Going to call BS on this as it's illegal.

16 minutes ago, Squid said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49890058

It was part of the cuts.

Apparently JL&Partners are going towards a more youthful business structure if that makes sense?? 

That's what I've been told anyway, for all I know he could of been made redundant for anything!

They can't just make people redundant because they're older. If they go with longer tenured or something, that's different but it's outward discrimination otherwise. So whilst your uncle might feel that happened, if it did, he could take them to court and win quite easily.

On 15/11/2019 at 15:30, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

John Lewis adverts are hit and miss, probably because they've set their own bar so high. I thought that bear one was a bit of a miss.

The one with the boy waiting for Christmas was a work of art, I can't watch the penguin toy one without crying - and that boxer dog advert was one of the best things that's ever happened to me.

Gotta go all in for Christmas, embrace the whole thing. Love it, gutted when I take the tree down.

When I was a kid, toy adverts were amazing (or so I thought at the time). Toys were better back then. Christmas is family.

I am an atheist but I don't mind going to church for the carols and services. Just don't take any notice of any sermons, just enjoy the atmosphere. 

In a time where everyone is now glued to their phones and families now don't eat together much at meal times, Christmas feels more important and special. The one time of the year everyone can celebrating being together without worrying about life's daily struggles. It doesn't matter if you're poor or rich, it is irrelevant, it's a fantastic time of the year for the family.   

54 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Two things:

1) The advert has clearly worked to an extent.

2) You've never heard of the annual John Lewis Christmas advert?

no way wow GIF

1/  I'm not sure it has... knowing what store the advert is for does not equate to spending money with them... Unless they are content for us all to simply go around whistling and/or humming the relevant tune!  LOL!

2/  Of course I've heard of... and almost certainly seen... all the previous JL Xmas adverts.  But I couldn't narrow down which Xmas adverts "belong" to which store/brand... with the exception of that Sainsburys "No Mans Land" ad a year or two back.  Without Google, I wouldn't have known for certain that the dragon ad related to John Lewis. 

tenor.gif?itemid=5800555

1 hour ago, Pastinaak said:

John Lewis adverts are hit and miss, probably because they've set their own bar so high. I thought that bear one was a bit of a miss.

The one with the boy waiting for Christmas was a work of art, I can't watch the penguin toy one without crying - and that boxer dog advert was one of the best things that's ever happened to me.

I can’t believe what you’ve just said. You’re calling the second greatest Christmas ad of all time a ‘miss’. Disgraceful.

I don’t think John Lewis have had any misses to be honest, although I think this year’s effort is a bit weak compared to previous ones. However, for me, ‘Buster the Boxer’ was the worst of the JL adverts. I respect that they did something different, but I’m in it for the soppy, emotional story I’m afraid.

12 hours ago, Stagtime said:

We absolutely love Northern Hemisphere's Christmas to New Year Period having been there 3 times in the last 5 years. Love the Christmas ads especially the Heathrow ones, coming home in the dark after work and going to Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park for a drink and dinner in the FestHaus, being in Norway for Christmas Eve/Day and having actual snow falling, being in Edinburgh for Hogmany and then be crazy enough to jump in the water at Queensferry for LoonyDook the next morning.

Compare that to getting up at 5.00 in the morning to 30c and bright sunlight and wondering if it will get to 37c by lunchtime just in time for the roast, having to get on the turps at 7.00am because you are sweating that much and then having a roaring thunderstorm come through and the house get hit by lighting that blows power points out of the walls and fries anything hooked up (True Story!).

By the way, our shops have given up on the festive seasons and now sell mince pies and hot cross buns all year round.

You got a comedy angry face mate because all I get from our friends is.Need to turn the air on up,40 degrees tomorrow,might go to the beach,have a barbie,blah blah blah blah.

Wish we were down there mind.

They want to come and stop with us next Christmas ?.

Archived