Connolly to Leeds?

Day

In the middle of a Tonge article on the DET........

-----------------------------------------------------------

Derby defender Paul Connolly, meanwhile, has been linked with a move to Leeds United.

Connolly has been deemed surplus to requirements at Pride Park and could leave the club this summer.

Leeds, who clinched promotion back to the Championship from League One, are in the market for a right-back but manager Simon Grayson is remaining tight-lipped about his targets.

"I've never been one to talk about speculation so I won't be confirming or denying anything," said Grayson.

"I prefer to do things as quietly as possible and when we have something to say we will say it.

"What I will say is that the players we are looking to try to bring in will be players who I believe can take the club forward."

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/football/Tonge-hopes-left-balance/article-2184624-detail/article.html

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LEEDS United are in talks with Derby County over a deal to take defender Paul Connolly to Elland Road.

Leeds are in the market for a recognised right-back following their promotion to the Championship.

Connolly fits the bill and the Rams are willing to sell the 26-year-old, who finds himself surplus to requirements at Pride Park. Connolly was brought to Derby by former boss Paul Jewell, who signed him on a Bosman free transfer from Plymouth in the summer of 2008 and made him captain. He made 49 appearances in his first season with the Rams, scoring one goal.

However, the Liverpool-born player lost his place in the side – and the captaincy – under Jewell's successor Nigel Clough.

He was restricted to 23 appearances last season and spent a spell on loan at Leeds' Yorkshire rivals Sheffield United towards the end of last season.

The Blades could yet make a move to sign him. Connolly has a year left to run on his contract at Derby.

http://www.therams.co.uk/news/Connolly-wanted-Leeds/article-2210144-detail/article.html

PAUL Connolly's move from Derby County to Leeds United should be concluded this week.

Connolly was expected to complete a switch to Elland Road last week but the deal was delayed while the defender returned from a holiday.

The 26-year-old is now due to undergo a medical with the Yorkshire club today.

Connolly has found himself surplus to requirements at Derby and spent a spell on loan at Sheffield United at the end of last season.

Rams boss Nigel Clough has brought in John Brayford from Crewe Alexandra to be his first-choice right-back for the 2010-11 campaign. Connolly joined Derby two years ago on a free transfer from Plymouth Argyle.

He was given the captain's armband and made 49 appearances in his first season, scoring one goal. But he lost his place in the side – and the captaincy – under Clough and made 23 appearances for the Rams last season.

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/sport/Connolly-closing-making-Elland-Road/article-2277983-detail/article.html

Archived