Sign in to follow this  
Squid

Luciano Acosta

2 minutes ago, smiths_tavrn said:

Crikey a player who looks smaller that Duane Holmes.

Wikipedia reckons he's 5 ft 3

For comparison it has Holmes at 5 ft 6 and Messi at 5 ft 7

Could you imagine this guy buzzing around Chris Martin picking up his layoffs?

Unlikely to happen but whoever get's him on a free is going to have quite a player!

He looks like the player we needed Josefzoon to be. A guy who dribbles at the defence and drags 2-3 players with him but with the close control and vision to make his way out. If we can get him then I'm all up for it.

56 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Pretty sure this is a non-starter. Don't you need to have a cap for your country to get a work permit?

Not necessarily; that makes it painless and without much process. The heavily processed path is basically financially driven. This is good, simplified, breakdown - with links to the more detailed stuff. 

https://www.reevaldo.com/story/2016/9/15/football-work-permit-premier-league-fa-foreign-players

In this hypothetical scenario of us signing acosta somehow, I think we'd be able to manage it.

Edited by SaintRam

48 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Pretty sure this is a non-starter. Don't you need to have a cap for your country to get a work permit?

Even worse than this. I believe (although it's difficult to find an official source but this is according to this - https://latitudelaw.com/news/the-fas-policy-on-non-eu-football-players-and-possible-implications-following-brexit/) that a certain % of international appearances must have been made in the past 2 years depending on where the country are in the FIFA rankings. Argentina are currently ranked 11 which means that to be eligible a player must have played in 45% of his country's international matches. Acosta has a grand total of zero caps. There are various exception criteria but these are all heavily tailored towards the top teams and players (e.g. transfer fee size, wages, etc).

So unless he happens to have an English grandfather then it's a non starter I'm afraid.

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

Not necessarily; that makes it painless and without much process. The heavily processed path is basically financially driven. This is good, simplified, breakdown - with links to the more detailed stuff. 

https://www.reevaldo.com/story/2016/9/15/football-work-permit-premier-league-fa-foreign-players

In this hypothetical scenario of us signing acosta somehow, I think we'd be able to manage it.

59 minutes ago, DerbyPride said:

Even worse than this. I believe (although it's difficult to find an official source but this is according to this - https://latitudelaw.com/news/the-fas-policy-on-non-eu-football-players-and-possible-implications-following-brexit/) that a certain % of international appearances must have been made in the past 2 years depending on where the country are in the FIFA rankings. Argentina are currently ranked 11 which means that to be eligible a player must have played in 45% of his country's international matches. Acosta has a grand total of zero caps. There are various exception criteria but these are all heavily tailored towards the top teams and players (e.g. transfer fee size, wages, etc).

So unless he happens to have an English grandfather then it's a non starter I'm afraid.

suspicious futurama GIF

We need to do this.  Not because he'd be a coup, but to really, really, really, REALLY wind up Leeds, Forest and 'Boro. Imagine the "cheats" & "FFP dodgers" comments.  It'd be priceless.

Sadly don't see it happening though. 

1 hour ago, DerbyPride said:

We could give him Fuertes passport 

55 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

suspicious futurama GIF

There a fairly good chance he has a Portugese passport, and provided whoever is in charge does not trigger Brexit before January 1st, we could make use of that. After Brexit though, there's no chance of any foreign players, so will make the academy all the more important.