Bob Paisley

oldtimeram

13 hours ago, RamNut said:

This is getting good.

(i was trying to extract this to create a new thread but it wouldn’t let me quote @DCFC Ram )

i once saw mr and mrs Roy McFarland walk into Laura Ashley’s in Homebase 

she seemed to be wearing the trousers and was possibly in a bit of a mood. 

Er.. Roy was wearing what?

No, don't tell me.....!

(I wrote this yesterday but the maidservant missed the post!)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started work in Ossie Road in 1973.

I often went to a watering hole known as the Salad Bowl.

Several of the Rams first team used to come there to eat and relax.

They were treated like any other bunch of lads and, whilst I may have said 'hello' as you do out of politeness, no one there treated them as 'Celebs' or 'Guess who I had in the back of my cab'.

Maybe folk were different back then, but footballers, including the 'greats' were treated like mere mortals and,usually, acted as such.

This was part of mutual respect and generally appreciated.

(It also makes for great things to look back on later in life!)

31 minutes ago, Brummie Steve said:

They were treated like any other bunch of lads and, whilst I may have said 'hello' as you do out of politeness, no one there treated them as 'Celebs' or 'Guess who I had in the back of my cab'.

Maybe folk were different back then, but footballers, including the 'greats' were treated like mere mortals and,usually, acted as such.

Yeah right, I bet you posted selfies all over Insta.

On 12/11/2019 at 01:00, oldtimeram said:

I used to see Bob Paisley quite often in the Mr Jorrocks pub in Derby in the 1980s.  I am sure he told me he used to stay with his daughter. 

I now live near Liverpool and my Scouse relatives think I am lying ?

I was just wondering if anyone else saw him in Derby in the 1980s?

I am not imagining these meets I can assure you lol

Yep it will have been him - his daughter used to live in Mickleover and utterly bizarrely I saw both him and the great late Brian Clough at my local corner newsagent at the same time one Sunday morning both buying their Sunday papers and yes they both had a chat ( probably counting their trophies) I believe one of Cloughs children were living in Mickleover at the same time.

nice memory 

18 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

Searching the rest of the biography and his daughter Christine was at college here and married a local called Ian McMahon (who apparently managed the Derby School boys team - someone on here must know him from that?)
It does also say that Bob frequently visited them in Derby whenever Liverpool had an away game in the Midlands

The alzheimer's episode in the screen grab was around 1989 it seems,so that all fits. 

Great story - I wonder if the current owners of the pub know that he was a regular?

Oh and this bit is  totally "Derby"!

Haha

You are correct although there is no need to name names - he is a relative of the famous Liverpool midfielder and for a short period of time I played football with him here in the Derby  leagues - he used to have a few very topical stories about what was happening at Liverpool which all came out to be true - interesting times. 

3 hours ago, Brummie Steve said:

Of course. 
They probably earned no more than Uncle Joe, lived in a two up-two down, and quite possibly had a ten year old Viva... or went to the match on the bus.  
I think it's fair to say they weren't celebrities, back then... with the arguable exception of a Mr G Best!

29 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Of course. 
They probably earned no more than Uncle Joe, lived in a two up-two down, and quite possibly had a ten year old Viva... or went to the match on the bus.  
I think it's fair to say they weren't celebrities, back then... with the arguable exception of a Mr G Best!

Buses? Ten year old Vivas?

Luxury mate! 
We had nowt the rest on us, and if it weren't out turn to wear the socks we had to walk in bare feet. Ay an' carry t'bairn between us cuz ar mam were usin t'pram to get slack from t'slag eap!

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

Of course. 

When I was a kid, Brain Clough used to live on Ferrers Way in Allestree, and my Dad always used to point out the house whenever we drove past. It was a much nicer house than ours, but nothing special in the scheme of things. You couldn’t imagine a top class footballer or football manager living there now!

Archived