Bob Paisley

oldtimeram

I used to see Bob Paisley quite often in the Mr Jorrocks pub in Derby in the 1980s.  I am sure he told me he used to stay with his daughter. 

I now live near Liverpool and my Scouse relatives think I am lying ?

I was just wondering if anyone else saw him in Derby in the 1980s?

I am not imagining these meets I can assure you lol

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Was it definitely him? It's not beyond the realms of possibilities for a drunk guy in a pub to spin a yarn to a gullible local ?

Wikipedia confirms he did have a daughter called Christine, but claims that the family always lived in Liverpool

Yes it was definitely him. I met him several times.  He often sat on a bar stool in the corner of the bar.

I have found something in a book about him confirming that his daughter lived in Derby.

Page 312 but it's a bit small to read (on my phone anyway)

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=gl9LDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA312&lpg=PA312&dq=bob+paisley+daughter+Derby&source=bl&ots=Q-8o3b9422&sig=ACfU3U3_AAbsQ-pT0EgGVWql2XKKkKF7Cg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiA2OyXyuTlAhVMfMAKHdlfAFIQ6AEwH3oECAwQAQ#v=onepage&q=bob paisley daughter Derby&f=false

11 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

I used to see Bob Paisley quite often in the Mr Jorrocks pub in Derby in the 1980s.  I am sure he told me he used to stay with his daughter. 

I now live near Liverpool and my Scouse relatives think I am lying ?

I was just wondering if anyone else saw him in Derby in the 1980s?

I am not imagining these meets I can assure you lol

You are spot on .  My dad used to see him  sometimes. He was invited by the club too attend matches when Liverpool stopped him attending training sessions as it was decided he was becoming a distraction. Why Derby decided to do this I couldn't tell you.

He became something of a fan it seems and quite a regular follower of Derbys fortunes.

I was in the aforementioned establishment in the summer of 1983 when a young family from the east end of London walked in.  Eventually we got chatting and it seemed they were on their way to the Peak District for a hiking holiday but had decided to stop off at the establishment as, like all eastenders they were quite a few costermongers in the family history.  As such they were huge fans of of the aforementioned of the jovial cockney grocer, Mr Jorrocks in the popular RS Surtees novels of the 18th century and thought the break would make in interesting interlude to their long journey.

Now the interesting part of this story happens when a Scottish gentleman in a red tracksuit top wandered over to the family.  As if from nowhere he produced a lollipop from his back pocket and offered it to the families' ten year old daughter.  In a kindly, but Glaswegianly unintelligible, way he asked the girl her name.

'Mary Hector-Ingram' said the girl.

'And do you like football?' asked the beaming tartan giant.

'Yes.' said the now enchanted girl.

'Well, When you are grown up, you shall have a little boy of your own.  And you must call him Jahmal Justin Hector-Ingram because that will be an amazing name and that boy will play for West Ham, Derby and Liverpool.  Just giving him that precise name will make people salivate over his footballing potential.  I can see the future.' winked the kindly Scot before leaving to go to the gents.

I never saw the family or the granite jowled Scot ever again.

True story. 

19 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

Yes it was definitely him. I met him several times.  He often sat on a bar stool in the corner of the bar.

I have found something in a book about him confirming that his daughter lived in Derby.

Page 312 but it's a bit small to read (on my phone anyway)

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=gl9LDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA312&lpg=PA312&dq=bob+paisley+daughter+Derby&source=bl&ots=Q-8o3b9422&sig=ACfU3U3_AAbsQ-pT0EgGVWql2XKKkKF7Cg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiA2OyXyuTlAhVMfMAKHdlfAFIQ6AEwH3oECAwQAQ#v=onepage&q=bob paisley daughter Derby&f=false

Interesting - the piece in question talks about the onset of his Alzheimers - did he seem OK in the days when you met him?

Capture.JPG

2 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

I was in the aforementioned establishment in the summer of 1983 when a young family from the east end of London walked in.  Eventually we got chatting and it seemed they were on their way to the Peak District for a hiking holiday but had decided to stop off at the establishment as, like all eastenders they were quite a few costermongers in the family history.  As such they were huge fans of of the aforementioned of the jovial cockney grocer, Mr Jorrocks in the popular RS Surtees novels of the 18th century and thought the break would make in interesting interlude to their long journey.

Now the interesting part of this story happens when a Scottish gentleman in a red tracksuit top wandered over to the family.  As if from nowhere he produced a lollipop from his back pocket and offered it to the families' ten year old daughter.  In a kindly, but Glaswegianly unintelligible, way he asked the girl her name.

'Mary Hector-Ingram' said the girl.

'And do you like football?' asked the beaming tartan giant.

'Yes.' said the now enchanted girl.

'Well, When you are grown up, you shall have a little boy of your own.  And you must call him Jahmal Justin Hector-Ingram because that will be an amazing name and that boy will play for West Ham, Derby and Liverpool.  Just giving him that precise name will make people salivate over his footballing potential.  I can see the future.' winked the kindly Scot before leaving to go to the gents.

I never saw the family or the granite jowled Scot ever again.

True story. 

Pennywise?

3 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Interesting - the piece in question talks about the onset of his Alzheimers - did he seem OK in the days when you met him?

Capture.JPG

I used to meet a friend on a Wednesday night and he was always late and I was always early due to the bus getting into town early.  I used to have a chat with Bob on a regular basis and at that time his mind was sharp and there was no hint of Alzheimer's.  He was very friendly and was happy to chat.  Funnily enough, most people in the pub left him in peace.  Maybe they just could not believe Bob Paisley was sitting having a drink in a Derby pub on a Wednesday night lol

It would have been about 1984/85 I reckon because I moved up to Cheshire in 1986.

Searching the rest of the biography and his daughter Christine was at college here and married a local called Ian McMahon (who apparently managed the Derby School boys team - someone on here must know him from that?)
It does also say that Bob frequently visited them in Derby whenever Liverpool had an away game in the Midlands

The alzheimer's episode in the screen grab was around 1989 it seems,so that all fits. 

Great story - I wonder if the current owners of the pub know that he was a regular?

Oh and this bit is  totally "Derby"!

There was some hilarity when he pushed Christine and Ian’s son Stuart through the park in Derby and was recognised by a passing stranger. ‘I know you,’ she said. ‘Aren’t you the butcher from Mansfield?’ Paisley was tickled.

Haha

36 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Searching the rest of the biography and his daughter Christine was at college here and married a local called Ian McMahon (who apparently managed the Derby School boys team - someone on here must know him from that?)
It does also say that Bob frequently visited them in Derby whenever Liverpool had an away game in the Midlands

The alzheimer's episode in the screen grab was around 1989 it seems,so that all fits. 

Great story - I wonder if the current owners of the pub know that he was a regular?

Oh and this bit is  totally "Derby"!

Haha

Yes Ian was the manager of my older brothers Derby boys team, a very good manager he was too.

Still see him around Littleover from time to time.

And yes he was Bob Paisleys son-in-law.

13 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

from bob paisley .com

Bill Shankly spent his first Saturday afternoon in retirement watching  Everton - Derby County.

The mystery deepens.

Bill Shankly was often seen at the BBG for some reason.

Maybe Derby became a magnet for ex Liverpool managers? 

Still looking for Kenny Dalglish in Mr Jorrocks

2 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

Bill Shankly was often seen at the BBG for some reason.

Maybe Derby became a magnet for ex Liverpool managers? 

Still looking for Kenny Dalglish in Mr Jorrocks

Funny you should say that.

I often see Rafa Benitez tucked in a corner at the Brunswick.

2 hours ago, DCFC Ram said:

Yes - his daughter and his son in law lived in Mickleover in the (it was then) new estate opposite Tesco. His son in law played up front for Mickleover RBL at the time and had sharp elbows.

Asked a few people about this. Turns out she lived on the street I grew up on.... Farneworth Road. Surprised no ones ever mentioned this to me at any point, especially my glory hunting plastic scouse mates....

3 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Asked a few people about this. Turns out she lived on the street I grew up on.... Farneworth Road. Surprised no ones ever mentioned this to me at any point, especially my glory hunting plastic scouse mates....

Can't expect them to know that. Drop them of in Anfield they'd need directions to the ground. Tell them that players are more than 4 inches tall in real life.

Archived