England v Montenegro

ViewsFromTheMiddle

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just as I was starting to proper respect sterling.... what an absolute muppet. Gotta accept sometimes you’re gonna be defeated in football (and unfairly sometimes like yesterday) and just take it on the chin, rather than reacting at opposing players. Probably some winding up the other way too, but that’s no way to react regardless. Embarrassing for england, and a real poor show from sterling who’s rightly suspended for that sort of behaviour. Not having much luck as Derby/England supporters with players actions bringing both teams into the spotlight for all the wrong reasons lately are we?! With sterling out, I would probably line up:

Henderson

Alexander-Arnold Gomez Tomori Chilwell

Henderson 

Winks Mount

Hudson-Odoi Kane Sancho

May as well experiment a little.

Fans accuse players of not caring all the time, whilst disappointed he’s now unavailable I don’t actually mind this. The game was huge in the title race and clearly meant a lot to him. 

Footballers are human, they have feelings and emotions too, money doesn’t turn you into a robot.

6 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Just as I was starting to proper respect sterling.... what an absolute muppet. Gotta accept sometimes you’re gonna be defeated in football (and unfairly sometimes like yesterday) and just take it on the chin, rather than reacting at opposing players. Probably some winding up the other way too, but that’s no way to react regardless. Embarrassing for england, and a real poor show from sterling who’s rightly suspended for that sort of behaviour. Not having much luck as Derby/England supporters with players actions bringing both teams into the spotlight for all the wrong reasons lately are we?! With sterling out, I would probably line up:

Henderson

Alexander-Arnold Gomez Tomori Chilwell

Henderson 

Winks Mount

Hudson-Odoi Kane Sancho

May as well experiment a little.

Ducking hell, he was showing some passion.  I wish I believed that our lot cared that much about losing on the next day.  Nothing wrong with a few verbals.  All the passion and soul is being driven out of football soon the pfa will demanding that players are counselled after every game , let’s sit down lads and discuss whether the game has affected you.  

47 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Ducking hell, he was showing some passion.  I wish I believed that our lot cared that much about losing on the next day.  Nothing wrong with a few verbals.  All the passion and soul is being driven out of football soon the pfa will demanding that players are counselled after every game , let’s sit down lads and discuss whether the game has affected you.  

Suspect it was more than just a few verbals for sterling to be dropped from the team entirely. FWIW I agree with you that it’s somewhat “good” to see players having passion and caring about results, we all know that that isn’t the case with all footballers. But there’s a way to shown passion and there’s a way not to show it- getting yourself and england in the national media for having handbags with one of your own players on the training ground ain’t a good way to show it. I’m sure sterling realises that and has probably learnt from what I’m sure was just a moment of madness, and he’ll be back stronger next time out. But we don’t exactly want this sort of showing of passion all too often if we can avoid it.

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Suspect it was more than just a few verbals for sterling to be dropped from the team entirely. FWIW I agree with you that it’s somewhat “good” to see players having passion and caring about results, we all know that that isn’t the case with all footballers. But there’s a way to shown passion and there’s a way not to show it- getting yourself and england in the national media for having handbags with one of your own players on the training ground ain’t a good way to show it. I’m sure sterling realises that and has probably learnt from what I’m sure was just a moment of madness, and he’ll be back stronger next time out. But we don’t exactly want this showing of passion all too often if we can avoid it.

Channeling anger and frustration to produce a greater result is a skill that develops with age.  We all have moments when we need to vent just I expect that we all learn when to chose the best moment

1 hour ago, Spanish said:

Yes there is something wrong with "a few verbals" when it's done in the England training complex where they're meant to be team mates. The so called golden generation had big problems with cliques and in fighting, so Southgate has definitely done the right thing in punishing this puerile behaviour.

I've got absolutely no idea whatsoever regarding what has gone off, but I can't help thinking that it takes two to tango... and yet it appears only one has been asked to leave the dance floor!

I can only assume then, that one gave a little more than verbals, and physically swung his handbag, and that's the cut-off point for a suspension from playing?

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

I've got absolutely no idea whatsoever regarding what has gone off, but I can't help thinking that it takes two to tango... and yet it appears only one has been asked to leave the dance floor!

I can only assume then, that one gave a little more than verbals, and physically swung his handbag, and that's the cut-off point for a suspension from playing?

VAR was used and the conclusion was that it’s was not fault of Gomez, rationale was that scousers are never to blame.

4 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

From what I've heard Sterling got him in a headlock & also Gomez has a scratch or something near his eye from their scuffle in the canteen

4 hours ago, Anon said:

Yes there is something wrong with "a few verbals" when it's done in the England training complex where they're meant to be team mates. The so called golden generation had big problems with cliques and in fighting, so Southgate has definitely done the right thing in punishing this puerile behaviour.

Always thought this excuse was a cop out though. Spain won the Euros in spite of Mourinho turning the Barça and Real Madrid contingent against each other

The Golden Generation didn’t win anything because they played dinosaur football and we shoehorned the best midfielders in there however we could. 

Carrick should have 40 of Gerrard and Lampard’s caps and Scholes another 20, but there we are.

Archived