Parking Charge Notice

MidWalesRam

Since we lost the Toys R Us car park I have been using the Premier Inn on the Wyvern business park , all they asked for was a £5 donation to their charity box.

Pulled up as usual for the 'Boro game on 2/11 to see that the car park is now run by Horizon Parking and you need to pay £5 by using your mobile phone , which i suppose is fair enough. It was a bit of a faff but eventually managed to sort it and pay .

Today I have received a Parking Charge Notice saying I have breached the terms and conditions and instructed to pay £85.

I have appealed this as I have proof on my phone that I paid to park. 

Sorry for the moan but wanted to get it off my chest and wondered if anyone else on here had any problems parking there and also to forewarn anyone that might be thinking of doing so.

Needless to say I will be looking for somewhere else to park next home game !

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it's from the council, pay it as they will chase and take you to court.

If its from a private firm, ParkingEye, Europarks etc then just ignore it. Other than the threat letters, it costs them more to take you to court than is worth to them. 

I must have had 8 in my lifetime I haven't paid. Just chuck the letters in the bin.

6 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

PM me if you want, just went through exactly the same sh!t3 elsewhere in Derby with those cowboys and eventually won the appeal. Happy to help.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer... 

Thanks for that, I'll wait and see what happens with my appeal and let you know. Cheers 

4 minutes ago, Red_Dawn said:

If its from a private firm, ParkingEye, Europarks etc then just ignore it. Other than the threat letters, it costs them more to take you to court than is worth to them. 

I must have had 8 in my lifetime I haven't paid. Just chuck the letters in the bin.

It's a private firm Horizon Parking. They have no legal recourse I understand. 

2 minutes ago, MidWalesRam said:

It's a private firm Horizon Parking. They have no legal recourse I understand. 

Throw it in the bin.

I get them periodically for a charge I got in Hounslow 6 months ago. 

The threat letters cycle between three firms claiming they're going to take action. All a load of baalocks with no legal recourse as you've suggested. 

If the fine was proportionate, maybe 10-20 pounds I might consider paying. But over a hundred for a 10 minute stay? Jog on. 

6 minutes ago, Red_Dawn said:

Throw it in the bin.

The threat letters cycle between three firms claiming they're going to take action. All a load of baalocks with no legal recourse as you've suggested. 

If the fine was proportionate, maybe 10-20 pounds I might consider paying. But over a hundred for a 10 minute stay? Jog on. 

That used to be my advice but there's been changes in the law the past couple of years meaning it's easier to bring these types of cases to small claims courts.  If you have evidence of paying (or in most cases proof of leaving a car park before a certain time) they'll overturn it without much fuss.  If that fails, ask them for proof that by you taking up that parking space, caused the owners to lose revenue.  They won't be able to, and therefore drop it.

A firm tried it on when I took my car in for a MOT at Halfords.  Left it with em and went into town for a spot of shopping & some lunch, so obvously went over the 3 1/2 hours.  But I wasn't using a parking space!!!  Sent them the receipt for the MOT and they apologised.  

Check out some comments on the subject, from page 6 (Oct 10th) of this thread, that may or may not be of interest...

……………………………………………………………….
image.png
May the fallen rest in peace.
May those that return, have the fortune to live in peace.

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

Check out some comments on the subject, from page 6 (Oct 10th) of this thread, that may or may not be of interest...

……………………………………………………………….
image.png
May the fallen rest in peace.
May those that return, have the fortune to live in peace.

That was definitely of interest.Good read. Cheers!

2 hours ago, Red_Dawn said:

Said Fawaz to Marinakis with one last piece of advice when putting pen to paper.

3 hours ago, MidWalesRam said:

Since we lost the Toys R Us car park I have been using the Premier Inn on the Wyvern business park , all they asked for was a £5 donation to their charity box.

Pulled up as usual for the 'Boro game on 2/11 to see that the car park is now run by Horizon Parking and you need to pay £5 by using your mobile phone , which i suppose is fair enough. It was a bit of a faff but eventually managed to sort it and pay .

Today I have received a Parking Charge Notice saying I have breached the terms and conditions and instructed to pay £85.

Sorry for the moan but wanted to get it off my chest and wondered if anyone else on here had any problems parking there and also to forewarn anyone that might be thinking of doing so.

All of these car park “management companies” are snakes, rats, vermin and excrement. They pay the land owner to “run” the car park and take the revenue for themselves. Fair enough but it is predicated on how many “fines” they can issue to improve returns

and the worst of it with APNR technology and they can attempt to screw anyone. Hate them with a passion. It’s a business that attracts the worst kind of business shark...  a home for ex wheel clampers thugs. 

big companies like premier inn and Aldi and others need to look at themselves hard .. why are they entering in to contracts with people like this !

You’ll note that I have strong opinions on this matter ?

That’s really annoying mate. 

In fairness it could just be an error on their part. Similar has happened to me and when i have provided proof they apologised.

2 hours ago, Red_Dawn said:

Throw it in the bin.

That's why they are un enforceable it has to be proportionate or it's illegal .You would think the daft barstewards would have learnt by now .Maybe 50% paying at £85 is worth more to them than 100%at £20.

Following advice from one of you good people I park at that same Premier Inn whenever I make it down to Pride Park. As you say, they ask for a £5 donation to Great Ormond Street Childrens Hospital in exchange for safe parking and everyone is a winner - match goers, a wonderful hospital and Premier Inn who gain extra bar takings from those who may otherwise grab a pint elsewhere.

Now it seems that fiver goes to a car park management company instead. What a shame that is. 

OP - surely if you have proof of payment on your phone it should be a straight forward matter of showing the shitehawks and the case is closed no?

38 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

In fairness it could just be an error on their part. Similar has happened to me and when i have provided proof they apologised.

Pfft. The local Aldi has one of those machines in the store where you "validate" your car park ticket by putting in your reg number. It was broken one day so I got the ParkingEye rubbish about owing them 80 quid or whatever.

Scanned my ticket and receipt and did their online appeal thing, explaining that the machine wasn't working. No apology from them, just a grudging note that "on this occasion, purely as a gesture of goodwill we would not pursue settlement of this amount to which they were entitled".

You can imagine that sort of pompous bull scaring little old ladies out of their wits. Bullies and jobsworths all.....

4 minutes ago, Rampant said:

Following advice from one of you good people I park at that same Premier Inn whenever I make it down to Pride Park. As you say, they ask for a £5 donation to Great Ormond Street Childrens Hospital in exchange for safe parking and everyone is a winner - match goers, a wonderful hospital and Premier Inn who gain extra bar takings from those who may otherwise grab a pint elsewhere.

Now it seems that fiver goes to a car park management company instead. What a shame that is. 

OP - surely if you have proof of payment on your phone it should be a straight forward matter of showing the shitehawks and the case is closed no?

My thoughts exactly! Would much rather donate a fiver to a good charity than some car park management company.

I have noticed of late a few people parking and not bothering to donate, asking people for the barrier code and following  others through virtually bumper to bumper, they may or may not have ruined it for everyone now . I dont know.

I have sent them proof of payment with my appeal so as you say it should be straightforward, we shall see !

5 hours ago, Red_Dawn said:

Throw it in the bin.

Don’t all red dogs automatically get a disability badge anyway, having 6 fingers n toes, being related and all that. ?

6 hours ago, Red_Dawn said:

Throw it in the bin.

What an earth are you doing in Hounslow ?

I think you might find they are enforceable through the courts. We had this discussion recently.

Archived