Grounds for Concern

Redlandram

Just now, FindernRam said:

EFL are charging Wednesday for breaking rules with their Stadium sale!

Yes, seems to be that they didn't follow the rules and sold the stadium after they already posted the profits. Mad really. I think they saw Mel do it and then half-arsed it. 

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rod Liddle is at it again in his column for today’s Sunday’s Times. 
His article relates to Championship clubs who (in his eyes) have flouted the EFL’s rules by selling off their grounds. 
He again refers to DCFC - in his opinion “you could buy the entirety of Derby for £80m - and they’d probably chuck Chesterfield in as a free gift”. 
He is advocating that clubs such as Sheff Weds, us and Reading should get “whopping points deductions and thus end up being relegated”. 
His reasoning? - he supports “one of the smaller clubs” who would feel more secure if this happens. 
Perhaps he’s a Boro fan. 

18 minutes ago, Abu Derby said:

His article relates to Championship clubs who (in his eyes) have flouted the EFL’s rules by selling off their grounds. 
He again refers to DCFC - in his opinion “you could buy the entirety of Derby for £80m - and they’d probably chuck Chesterfield in as a free gift”. 
He is advocating that clubs such as Sheff Weds, us and Reading should get “whopping points deductions and thus end up being relegated”. 
His reasoning? - he supports “one of the smaller clubs” who would feel more secure if this happens. 
Perhaps he’s a Boro fan. 

Rod Liddle is a stain on humanity and a bamford of the highest order.

8 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Rod Liddle is a bamford of the highest order. He's a stain on humanity.

Wiki: "On 5 May 2005, he was arrested for common assault against Monckton, who was 20 weeks pregnant at the time. He admitted the offence and accepted a police caution.

Liddle has supported Millwall since the age of seven."

Sounds like a likeable chap.

23 minutes ago, Abu Derby said:

Perhaps he’s a Boro fan. 

Liddle is a nasty piece of work, who's stock in trade is writing unsubstantiated sensationalist cr@p

1 hour ago, philmycocu said:

Wiki: "On 5 May 2005, he was arrested for common assault against Monckton, who was 20 weeks pregnant at the time. He admitted the offence and accepted a police caution.

Liddle has supported Millwall since the age of seven."

Sounds like a likeable chap.

Says it all really then. 
Not surprising that he loves to add fuel to the embers. 

11 hours ago, Abu Derby said:

Perhaps he’s a Boro fan. 

At what point is it ok for us as a club to claim the media have a vendetta against us? Is that taking it too far perhaps?

Every year there seems to be new articles that are not true (or at least that is what we are told), dronegate, the club being up for sale for a quid, the constant negative press over us selling our stadium (even though the EFL approved it!!!!).

Maybe all clubs are subject to this kind of negative press, but clubs like Millwall or Chelsea who have vile racist fans, surely provide the papers a chance to produce story after story, yet I very rarely see it.

I honestly hope we get promoted soon and at Wembley, so Mel Morris can stand on the pitch and stick his middle finger up to the media live on air!

36 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

At what point is it ok for us as a club to claim the media have a vendetta against us? Is that taking it too far perhaps?

I honestly don't think it's personal - The media mostly has a vendetta against good sense, decency and unbiased news these days - Most newspapers would rather spin sensationalism out for days than report anything resembling news in a decent and fair minded way

You have to bear in mind that most people would rather spend 10 mins ranting about the unfairness of life and getting outraged about something which barely affects them than actually learn something new about the world or how it operates - Our chairman makes comments to the EFL about the unfairness of parachute payments on the rest of the league and the news cover a million 'stories' about his fall out with the EFL - Same chairman finds a couple of loopholes to help fund the club and the newspapers cover EFL fury backed by other chairman's rage

It's sad to me that newspapers are more interested in journo's opinions on a situation than they are investigating it, finding out some facts, explaining it to people and letting them make up their own minds

7 hours ago, cheron85 said:

I honestly don't think it's personal - The media mostly has a vendetta against good sense, decency and unbiased news these days - Most newspapers would rather spin sensationalism out for days than report anything resembling news in a decent and fair minded way

You have to bear in mind that most people would rather spend 10 mins ranting about the unfairness of life and getting outraged about something which barely affects them than actually learn something new about the world or how it operates - Our chairman makes comments to the EFL about the unfairness of parachute payments on the rest of the league and the news cover a million 'stories' about his fall out with the EFL - Same chairman finds a couple of loopholes to help fund the club and the newspapers cover EFL fury backed by other chairman's rage

It's sad to me that newspapers are more interested in journo's opinions on a situation than they are investigating it, finding out some facts, explaining it to people and letting them make up their own minds

Rod Liddle is the reason I purchase the Sunday Times online every week, his column is usually hilarious and very much anti "woke", you should always take his writing with a pinch of salt and recognise the humour and wit behind it. The article in point on this thread was one that he writes very occasionally for the football section of the Sports edition. and apart from the DCFC comments probably has more than a grain of truth in it.

I usually end up laughing out loud at most of his articles.

6 minutes ago, Asheville Ram said:

Rod Liddle is the reason I purchase the Sunday Times online every week, his column is usually hilarious and very much anti "woke", you should always take his writing with a pinch of salt and recognise the humour and wit behind it. The article in point on this thread was one that he writes very occasionally for the football section of the Sports edition. and apart from the DCFC comments probably has more than a grain of truth in it.

I'm glad you enjoy it and that you essentially support my view that "journalists" these days are more about opinion than actual fact

Personally I'm not going to read his stuff though as I don't like people who are alleged (for the Mods) racist, homophobic, misogynist, anti-semitic, anti-disabled, islamophobic, women-beating complete and utter Bamfords

But yeh - He's funny because because being 'woke' is a bad thing right? "Alert to injustice in society, especially racism" - Such a bad thing...

It’s not just the physical elements of the ground that was sold in the deal but also the rights to operate the largest venue in Derby.

pride park has the facilities to host all manner of events generating income and doesn’t have a great deal of competition in the area, there are events most weeks at Pride park.

by comparison villa park , hillsborough and Upton Park are unwelcoming run down facilities in unpopular parts of their city’s full of venues to host events.

15 hours ago, Asheville Ram said:

So more a comic than a newspaper then? Generally, the print media used to be respected but that's all gone down the pan in the last 30 years - no longer is it just the Mirror, Star and Sun who churn out garbage - they're all at it.

If Mel now owns the ground will the revenue go to him rather than the club? If so, how does he reinvest it in the football side of things without us being up against FFP again? Or is it a means of him gaining ongoing personal revenue so he can continue to invest into the club into the future, because he has already ploughed in obscene amounts of money? I think his commitment doesn't get recognised enough, it's been amazing.

On a side note, whilst we are exploring non-sporting uses for Pride Park, why have the football uses dried up? It seems ages since we hosted any level of international here.

15 hours ago, Asheville Ram said:

I used to read some of his stuff and, while I didn't agree with his views, I accept that I sniggered occasionally. I was kind of put off him though when I find out he left his wife on their honeymoon for another woman, who he subsequently physically assaulted when she was 20 weeks pregnant. I can appreciate some people's art (not that I would ever use that word to describe his columns) and put aside their character, but I just can't look at his extremely punchable face without thinking how much of a Bamford he is, so it's a no from me.

Archived