Rams strikers missing good chances

Curtains

24 minutes ago, S8TY said:

if he leaves DCFC he will score goals but he's not a wide player for sure and thats how we've played him sometimes

Exactly mate, if we're not prepared to use him the correct way then we may as well sell him. He's wasted at Derby at the moment. But I really want him to succeed as he has obviously has the potential

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There were numerous times in the Boro game when Marriott was poised with space between the centre backs ready to run onto a threaded through ball.  Unfortunately we never chose that option.

We have over recent weeks seen improvements all over the pitch as partnerships and understanding have developed.  And I think we'll see similar the Martin / Marriott partnership over the coming weeks and have a feeling in my bones that when Jack does get one it'll set him off on a streak of (fingers crossed) ten in ten.

Silver lining is at least we’re creating plenty of chances now. How many games under Lampard would we fail to produce anything around the area, and end up relying on a flash of individual brilliance to win a game? Under Cocu you can see the fluidity and movement in the team. The types of chances are all different as well, we’re not just (for example) relying on crosses from full backs.

As a few have pointed out, I think confidence is key. I reckon one day soon we’ll bag 3/4 and that’s going to be the turning point. Not worried. 

1 hour ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

There were numerous times in the Boro game when Marriott was poised with space between the centre backs ready to run onto a threaded through ball.  Unfortunately we never chose that option.

We have over recent weeks seen improvements all over the pitch as partnerships and understanding have developed.  And I think we'll see similar the Martin / Marriott partnership over the coming weeks and have a feeling in my bones that when Jack does get one it'll set him off on a streak of (fingers crossed) ten in ten.

First time we've played a diamond with Martin and Marriott up there though - It'll take time for them to learn to work together

I thought the flip side was Martin and Lawrence seemed to work very well together and give it a bit of time I can see ball up to Martin, controlled down to Lawrence who slips a pass into Marriott being a very successful combination

Anyone else think with the CB crisis we should just switch to 4 up front? 

21 hours ago, cheron85 said:

Of course he didn't come out and publicly state it - But he hinted around it:

He added: "For Jack, I think this season has been great for him to see what you need when you step up the levels.

"You need to be able to train at a point where you can play 90 minutes to give absolutely everything.

"I am not saying he doesn't give everything, I am talking physical ability to do that.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/frank-lampards-handling-jack-marriott-3023459

Wasn't Lampard talking about his physical capability of playing a full 90 minutes? There's a bit a difference between someone being lazy and not pushing himself to build up his stamina to last a full 90 at 'full intensity'.

2 hours ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

The glaringly obvious was when Holmes could've slipped him in with a simple 10 pass, but chose to shoot from 25 yards.  Hardly Marriott's fault his team mates don't choose the right option.

He isn't the type of striker who'll create chances for himself, he needs service.  Last season he got it, and he bagged.  This season he hasn't had it.

52 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Wasn't Lampard talking about his physical capability of playing a full 90 minutes? There's a bit a difference between someone being lazy and not pushing himself to build up his stamina to last a full 90 at 'full intensity'.

I'd put the rumours plus those words together to work it out

For me, Lampard there was saying that on game day Marriott gives absolutely everything but that he doesn't have the physical capacity to do that for 90 minutes every game

He says you need to be able to train at a point where you CAN give absolutely everything for 90 full mins - Suggesting that at that point he didn't think Marriott was training at that point

Now, you could easily argue it's just that Marriott's fitness wasn't good enough cos he was from the lower leagues - But I doubt the step up is really that much and someone like Holmes certainly hasn't had the same problem with giving everything for 90 mins - It suggests to me that Lampard thought Marriott wasn't working hard enough in training

I'm a huge Marriott fan but think he's been best in bursts - I'd bring him on at half time every game and see what happens

Archived