Rams strikers missing good chances

Curtains

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Interestingly there were strong indications he was often late for training and didn't put huge amounts of effort in - Not something which would go down well with someone like Lampard who was always first on and last off the training ground as a player

I think he's a natural goalscorer - But prone to laziness - Often the case with natural talents

my old man RIP used to say Charlie George was a bit of a lazy f**ker in training....but we didnt mind . - cos he banged them in from 30 yards every Saturday........natural talents cant afford to be lazy if they dont score!!

13 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

You aren't there in training though - That's where apparently Lampard found him lazy

On the pitch he's like an excitable puppy but that's cos someone's paying him to do a job he loves - Training is where it counts for a lot of managers though - If he's not prepared to put the work in on the training ground he won't adapt to new ways of playing or new players around him etc etc

How do you know ? We've heard loads of rumours... he was playing golf instead of going training, he likes a drink, he's a lazy trainer...its all rumors that derek down the pub heard from his mate who works in the co-op that was told by julie who saw him walking his dog.  

Lampard never said anything close to it

I dont care if he's a lazy trainer as long as he gives his all on match day. 

I would get rid of Waghorn in January. 

That mistimed header from Evans' cross was indicative of his lack of skill. He has a poor first touch and relies on effort to mask his deficiencies. 

I'm also a bit fed up with hearing about Marriott's lack of fitness. 

It's his job to be fit. If he isn't he should be sacked. 

However, I think he's the best bet we have given a snap chance. 

We have a lack of pace and movement up front but for now the three we have are the best footballers. 

4 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

How do you know ? We've heard loads of rumours... he was playing golf instead of going training, he likes a drink, he's a lazy trainer...its all rumors that derek down the pub heard from his mate who works in the co-op that was told by julie who saw him walking his dog.  

Lampard never said anything close to it

Of course he didn't come out and publicly state it - But he hinted around it:

He added: "For Jack, I think this season has been great for him to see what you need when you step up the levels.

"You need to be able to train at a point where you can play 90 minutes to give absolutely everything.

"I am not saying he doesn't give everything, I am talking physical ability to do that.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/frank-lampards-handling-jack-marriott-3023459

And MacAnthony said:

"Training performances overrated imo" and "CMS (Craig Mackail-Smith) one of the worst trainers we ever had apparently and delivered three promotions, won EFL player of the year, scored **** loads of goals and millions in transfer fees"

6 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

I dont care if he's a lazy trainer as long as he gives his all on match day. 

I don't think players improve unless they work hard in training - That's where players learn new skills, new techniques, how to play with new people etc etc

It's no shock when people talk about Messi and Ronaldo having immense workrates in training - Beckham was always the same - Lampard and Rooney too

And the biggest point is this at the moment

9 minutes ago, irobinson said:

my old man RIP used to say Charlie George was a bit of a lazy f**ker in training....but we didnt mind . - cos he banged them in from 30 yards every Saturday........natural talents cant afford to be lazy if they dont score!!

Difference being George was already at the top of his game - Marriott has the potential to be a very decent Premier League striker but he's not there yet for me - It's a bit like Vyrda - Both players are unplayable if you play to the exact way they want to play - Marriott isn't good enough (yet) to build a team/formation around so he needs to learn to play in a different way and with different people

39 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Of course he didn't come out and publicly state it - But he hinted around it:

He added: "For Jack, I think this season has been great for him to see what you need when you step up the levels.

"You need to be able to train at a point where you can play 90 minutes to give absolutely everything.

"I am not saying he doesn't give everything, I am talking physical ability to do that.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/frank-lampards-handling-jack-marriott-3023459

And MacAnthony said:

"Training performances overrated imo" and "CMS (Craig Mackail-Smith) one of the worst trainers we ever had apparently and delivered three promotions, won EFL player of the year, scored **** loads of goals and millions in transfer fees"

I don't think players improve unless they work hard in training - That's where players learn new skills, new techniques, how to play with new people etc etc

It's no shock when people talk about Messi and Ronaldo having immense workrates in training - Beckham was always the same - Lampard and Rooney too

And the biggest point is this at the moment

Difference being George was already at the top of his game - Marriott has the potential to be a very decent Premier League striker but he's not there yet for me - It's a bit like Vyrda - Both players are unplayable if you play to the exact way they want to play - Marriott isn't good enough (yet) to build a team/formation around so he needs to learn to play in a different way and with different people

I think Marriott will be the main man to benefit from Rooney coming, both off and on the pitch also Lawrence will be a close second.

2 hours ago, Curtains said:

Rather have Waghorn than Marriott at the moment he just isn’t fit enough for me. 

He isn’t and we can’t seem to get him fit for a sustained period.

If we don’t stick with him we’re never going to get him fit?

Our strikers are good enough, we just need a bit more creativity behind.

Tough on Waggy.

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

He’s certainly got a good finish when he’s on form, that’s for sure. He’s got the natural ability, but I don’t think he works anywhere near hard enough off the ball. With some rumours surrounding his attitude etc, and him often being unavailable for selection, I think we have to start considering whether he’ll ever become the player he could be. I don’t think he will, and I think it’s a priority to get better. Imo of the 11 on the pitch against forest, he’s the weak link.

I can’t say anything about off the field or training but Marriott works hard on the pitch. In fact all our strikers do. Martin plays a different game than Waggy or Marriott, but he’s always there and someone described Waggy as a Demented puppy in terms of effort and scampering around. . Nope .. it isn’t effort it’s bagging them when the opportunity’s are presented and in the last 2 games we haven’t been good enough. Simple. 

We should go out and get a new striker in Jan. Maybe someone with natural finishing ability. If they are the top scorer for Man Utd and England that would also be a bonus.

We could make threads about all areas of the team if we want. (Which we usually do) Defence makes numerous mistakes and cant defend anything coming from the wings. When we play wingers they cant cross. Midfield often plays too deep or disappears completely. Goalkeeper cant catch.

2 minutes ago, GenBr said:

We should go out and get a new striker in Jan. Maybe someone with natural finishing ability. If they are the top scorer for Man Utd and England that would also be a bonus.

We could make threads about all areas of the team if we want. (Which we usually do) Defence makes numerous mistakes and cant defend anything coming from the wings. When we play wingers they cant cross. Midfield often plays too deep or disappears completely. Goalkeeper cant catch.

When you are down in the lower reaches of the league, I suppose everyone is going to be pissed off at pretty much every part of the team. I will cut our strikers a bit of slack for now, but give it until December and if they continue being wasteful it will be time to ship one out and bring in a new striker, Rooney will be an attacking midfielder I reckon but I could be wrong.

2 hours ago, jimbobram said:

Personally, i dont see the whole lazy thing. I see Marriott working hard every time he's on the pitch. For me, we don't see the best out of him because of creativity. That goes for all our strikers. Jack is the best finisher at the club. Our strikers cant score if we dont create enough chances. it's been better the last 2 games, but we still arent creating as much as we used to. 

Christ I can remember as a 10 year old wishing all the old farts sat around me at the BBG would shut up calling my favourite player at the time lazy for not chasing down back passes.  The name of my favourite player...  Dean Saunders.

Small, nippy strikers, who's games are based on runs in behind can easily be labelled as lazy, cus they have to be given the ball in the right areas to be effective.  They were really deep on Saturday so he wasn't going to get much joy.  Although he should've done better with a couple of presentable chances.

59 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Christ I can remember as a 10 year old wishing all the old farts sat around me at the BBG would shut up calling my favourite player at the time lazy for not chasing down back passes.  The name of my favourite player...  Dean Saunders.

Small, nippy strikers, who's games are based on runs in behind can easily be labelled as lazy, cus they have to be given the ball in the right areas to be effective.  They were really deep on Saturday so he wasn't going to get much joy.  Although he should've done better with a couple of presentable chances.

Dean Saunders and Marriott are you joking. 

Saunders was 10 times better 

2 hours ago, Van Cone De Head said:

He isn’t and we can’t seem to get him fit for a sustained period.

If we don’t stick with him we’re never going to get him fit?

Our strikers are good enough, we just need a bit more creativity behind.

Tough on Waggy.

They had chances Saturday and failed to put them away. 

3 hours ago, irobinson said:

I like Marriott but I don't think we should dare to compare him with Charlie, even in jest!

Half these ridiculous topics get started because people are bored and want to moan about something.

3 minutes ago, KCG said:

I like Marriott but I don't think we should dare to compare him with Charlie, even in jest!

Half these ridiculous topics get started because people are bored and want to moan about something.

So it’s moaning losing to Forest. 

How far has this team gone down 

2 hours ago, GenBr said:

Probably the reason we are 16th in the league

Was hoping Marriott would be the 20 a season man to replace Martin and Vydra’s goals. I just don’t think he’s that great TBH, sure he gets the odd goal here and there but he’s really nowt special... I don’t get the lovefest for him at all.

Archived